Detroit looking for powerplay answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFNHL Red Wings

Last season the Red Wings were heavily criticised for their poor powerplay. Indeed, many identified the lack of success with the man advantage as a key reason for their elimination by Anaheim in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

The additions of Mike Van Ryn and Trent Hunter and the hiring of a PP coach are still expected to pay dividends in the long run but so far the results have been less than satisafactory.
So far this preseason the team has managed to grind out two close wins but the team has gone 0 for 7 on the Powerplay.

The team will continue to search the ever elusive chemistry on the PP in the final preseason by giving Wes Walz and Mike Knuble an opportunity.

On the upside, the PK unit has been perfect so far.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Blue Jackets are killers, but that won't net them a win

CD - Columbus

In true Hallowe'en spirit, it seems the Blue Jackets are real killers. But it's their fans who may be scared once the games start counting.

With the first two of their three warm-up games in this abbreviated pre-season under their collective jock straps, the Jackets have successfully killed off an impressive 12 penalties, including one that lasted the first two minutes of the overtime period against Anaheim. That's a 100% effectiveness rate. Scary stuff.

That does little to ease the mind of Head Coach Mike Babcock, however. The question is, what does he find more frightening: the fact that the Jackets were a man short a hefty 6 times in each of the team's first two games, or that their powerplay went 0-for in the 4 opportunities they've had with the man advantage?

"It's way too early to be worried - we're just getting our legs under us", Babcock stated flatly. "We've got a short time to get ready, but some things you just can't rush, and it'll take some of these guys - especially our older guys - a little while to get back into game shape. Once the conditioning is there, we'll have more focus and discipline, and we'll be able to work on systems."

In this abbreviated pre-season, after 16 months without hockey, it is perhaps understandable if the Blue Jackets haven't had time to pay much attention to systems. And their veteran-laden lineup has shown little in the way of a first step thus far: the average age of the starting lineup is a shade over 30, and the average age of the core players is even higher. Worse, there's little help on the horizon in terms of young legs ready to step in and contribute.

It's odd, in the face of Babcock's comments, that his Jackets would have had such success on the PK, and yet such trouble scoring (just a goal per game to date, and none on the PP). Defence is traditionally viewed as the more system-dependent skillset, whereas offence relies more on talent, speed and instinct.

The coach - and Columbus fans - will have to hope the Jackets can show a little more oeffensive spark in their next match against the San Jose Sharks, If not, that may be a sign that they're in for a long, hard season.

- - - - -

Notes: Defenceman Adrian Aucoin continued his role from the 03/04 season, logging an impressive 31 minutes against Detroit and another 28 against Anaheim. "The Horse", as his teammates refer to him, also hammered home the Jackets' only goal against the Wings wth a one-timer from the high circle during an on odd-man rush.

Defenceman Phillippe Boucher received a 10-minute misconduct for arguing a hooking penalty he received when he tried to interfere with Ducks forward Brian Rolston's cut to the net. Boucher got more reckless and angry throughout the game, finally earning another minor penalty only 12 seconds into the extra frame.

"I guess they mean what they say this time", Boucher observed. "They really are going to call the obstruction penalties, even in O/T."

Milo Minderbinder
Columbus Discoverer

HFNHL Red Wings

Well, even the modified PP units went 0-2 in the final game to bring it to a total of 0-9 in the preseason :huh:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Well, even the modified PP units went 0-2 in the final game to bring it to a total of 0-9 in the preseason :huh:

Yeah, I was 0-2 again on the PP, giving me 0-6 overall... and I coughed up my first goal against on the PK, 1-3, for a 14-15 success rate, so it seems special teams - especially the PP - will be a concern.

Fortunately, I did manage to pump in 6 goals on the Sharks, chasing Theodore... and what's more reassuring - every single line produced at least one goal. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad