Detroit draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
OK, so I haven't really been following drafts that much, but I was wondering about a couple of things:

-Since Detroit so often finishes the regular season at the top, do they often trade draft picks?
-Have they done so this year? Or if that's not something anyone could know, do you think they have done so?
-Do you think they should do so more often?
-Who do you think they should draft this year (that is actually possible, no Ovechkin/Malkin guesses please, unless you know something I don't)?

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
tommi462 said:
OK, so I haven't really been following drafts that much, but I was wondering about a couple of things:

-Since Detroit so often finishes the regular season at the top, do they often trade draft picks?
-Have they done so this year? Or if that's not something anyone could know, do you think they have done so?
-Do you think they should do so more often?
-Who do you think they should draft this year (that is actually possible, no Ovechkin/Malkin guesses please, unless you know something I don't)?

-They often trade their first round picks for a player that will help them win the cup, examples would be Lang from this year, Schneider from last year, Hasek from 2 years ago, and so on, in fact, the Wings hav't drafted in the first round for the past 5 years, last time they drafted in the first round was in 1999 I believe and they picked Niklas Kronwall, another thing is first round draft picks are not the only picks they trade, they trade 2nd round picks often too, they didn't have a 2nd round pick last year and they don't have one this year.

EDIT: Sorry, the Wings did have a 2nd rounder last year, they picked Jimmy Howard 64th overall, I thought he was picked in the 3rd round that's why I said they didn't have a 2nd rounder, but they had one, and he looks to be another solid pick, great goalie and future reguler potential, this year however the Wings do not have a 1st or a 2nd round pick.

-Yes they have traded their first and second round picks from this year, the first round pick went to the Lang deal and the second round pick was part of the Schneider deal last year.

-Not sure if I understand your question, but if it's what I think it is then it all depends, if it get's the Wings the cup then sure why not, I don't mind them dealing their first round or second round picks if they win the cup, afterall they do draft well in the later rounds, guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Grigorenko, and Hudler were all drafted late and they seem to be stolen gems, well Datsyuk and Zetterberg at least.

-It all depends, I don't see them picking until 90th overall so I don't know who would be avalible then, but one guy could slip and I hope the Wings take a shot on is Victor Alexandrov, but I doubt he'll slip that much so I'm not sure, but whoever they pick, I hope it's another gem.

-

Last edited:

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Birko19 said:
-Not sure if I understand your question, but if it's what I think it is then it all depends, if it get's the Wings the cup then sure why not, I don't mind them dealing their first round or second round picks if they win the cup, afterall they do draft well in the later rounds, guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Grigorenko, and Hudler were all drafted late and they seem to be stolen gems, well Datsyuk and Zetterberg at least.

The reason that question might seem weird is because I kinda assumed the answer to the first 2 questions would be "no". ;)

Well, actually I meant all of the questions in a different way. I meant if they ever trade better draft pick spots for themselves. But your answer cleared that up perfectly so I thank you for your answer.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
This years draft is going to be a VERY dull one for detroit as it stands. A late 3rd round pick wont bring much help to the organization inless its a sleeper which i think could happen. Wings definitly need to pick the Best Player Available inless its a goalie, no more goalies! I really hope to see either a quality defensemen slip down or a Big forward with potential solid upside, we need more size for sure in the organization, although at the 3rd round level i wouldnt mind taking a swedish player since we seam to have luck with later round players :)

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
detroit can trade their first 4 round picks and STILL get players who shoulda gone in the 1st round. these basturds make some of the luckiest late round picks i have ever seen. the trick, though, to undermining the franchise is stealing their LATE round picks. these guys can't draft first rounders worth beans, so if u steal that, the franchise will go downhill.

freaking wings....

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Actually our first round picks (last 2) have been complete winners (jiri fischer and niklas kronwall)

anyway, wings have great late round success mostly because our swedish scout (andersson i believe ?) is awesome. He's found us guys like kronwall (he was actually i believe suposed to be a 2nd rounder), zetterberg, holmstom (right?), and now he's found guys like Jamtin who could possibly make it down the road, and Stefan Liv... Who knows what else he may find us or who else we might get... I really hope he can find us a good player in rounds 7, 8 or 9 this year.

It kinda sucks because our organizational ranking and depth started to go up and now we got no picks in this years draft so we're gonna slip probably to 22-26th (although filpulla and meech emerged a good amount this year, along with Howard, but not enough to keep us up there, and the only other way we can get back up there is if we get some late round steals, which is very possible)

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
That's why I think teams like Detroit and Colorado are going to stay in contention for a long time even when their current core is gone. Excellent drafting in the later rounds.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
sparkplug said:
That's why I think teams like Detroit and Colorado are going to stay in contention for a long time even when their current core is gone. Excellent drafting in the later rounds.

Hoping that continues for Detroit.

Detroit has no first or second round pick in the draft. like usual, they will draft the best guy available since they aren't really deep in prospects anywhere. Well, maybe goalie. If you are into betting, wager the Detroit pick to be a smaller European.

Could they unearth another gem? I suppose but no one is going to know for sure until many years after.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
It's going to be weird to see Yzerman, Shanahan, Hull and Chelios and others retire. Especially Yzerman. He's been with the wings as long as I can remember. I'm just hoping that the injury from tonight won't end up being a career ending one.

Anyway, the point of this post was to ask another question:

Do you guys think that Detroit should concentrate on their prospects or just trade in a couple of "super stars" when this happens eventually?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
sparkplug said:

Colorado-Forsberg and Sakic are the keys...been watching the San Jose series? Once Forsberg is in Europe and Sakic slows down/retires this will be a non stanley cup contender. Will still be a nice team with Tanguay, Hedjuk, Svatos maybe.

Detroit-Once Hall of Fame group moves on(Chelios,Shanahan,Yzerman,Hull, etc), there will still be a nice group of young talented Europeans- Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hudler, Kronwall, Grigorenko...not necessarily a stanley cup contender though.

beerman

Mar 5, 2004
McDonald19 said:
Colorado-Forsberg and Sakic are the keys...been watching the San Jose series? Once Forsberg is in Europe and Sakic slows down/retires this will be a non stanley cup contender. Will still be a nice team with Tanguay, Hedjuk, Svatos maybe.

Detroit-Once Hall of Fame group moves on(Chelios,Shanahan,Yzerman,Hull, etc), there will still be a nice group of young talented Europeans- Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hudler, Kronwall, Grigorenko...not necessarily a stanley cup contender though.

and hopefully they won't be able to buy so many players and join the reality of the rest of the league after the CBA.

My caps were guilty of it too, but I am glad to see them be done with that practice. Money should not determine champions, farm systems should. Caps/Wings/Avs/Philly etc. will learn that now.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
tommi462 said:
It's going to be weird to see Yzerman, Shanahan, Hull and Chelios and others retire. Especially Yzerman. He's been with the wings as long as I can remember. I'm just hoping that the injury from tonight won't end up being a career ending one.

Anyway, the point of this post was to ask another question:

Do you guys think that Detroit should concentrate on their prospects or just trade in a couple of "super stars" when this happens eventually?

I think they should keep whatever picks/prospects they have left and go from there. Some lean years ahead for sure. Some nice youngsters like Hudler, Kronwall, Liv, Howard etc. but they definitely won't replace the guys like Yzerman.
One bright side is maybe I will actually get to see the Wings pick somebody at the draft on TV next year :D Last time I saw someone was Hudler and before that Kronwall.

Most of the older superstars will be gone via retirement or free agency. The only guy that's left will be Lidstrom. I'd rather keep him for the rest of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad