Detroit Cougars

Ice Octopus

Dec 7, 2018
Hi. I was wondering. Do any of you guys have a nice hi-res scan of the Detroit Cougars of 1928/29? I'm trying to get a nice picture of their cougar head logo for that season.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... I feel like there's a very, very obvious joke to be made about someone asking for hi-res scan of a cougar picture...

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Hi. I was wondering. Do any of you guys have a nice hi-res scan of the Detroit Cougars of 1928/29? I'm trying to get a nice picture of their cougar head logo for that season.

I'm mostly doing earlier stuff than 1929 but try online city libraries (Detroit, or Michigan). Sometimes the best stuff, you have to dig it up yourself.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
... I feel like there's a very, very obvious joke to be made about someone asking for hi-res scan of a cougar picture...
Just be sure to clear your history and everything should work out just fine ......

Reactions: MXD

Ice Octopus

Dec 7, 2018
I don't understand these jokes about Cougars. I was looking for a picture of the 1928/29 Cougars from Detroit. The NHL team that is now the Red Wings. I wanted to get a nice high res pic of their logo. For that one season they had a cougar head logo on the sweater with the word "Detroit" written above it. Combing through this messageboard I've seen people upload rare scans of old team's from this era which is why I posted my plea on this thread.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I don't understand these jokes about Cougars. I was looking for a picture of the 1928/29 Cougars from Detroit. The NHL team that is now the Red Wings. I wanted to get a nice high res pic of their logo. For that one season they had a cougar head logo on the sweater with the word "Detroit" written above it. Combing through this messageboard I've seen people upload rare scans of old team's from this era which is why I posted my plea on this thread.

There's only been one joke so far in the thread, and luckily for us it wasn't even spoken but only hinted about. Like I said above, not everything from these earlier eras is easily obtainable, because if it was you would probably already have it. I'll see what I can do though, I like the challenge.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Reactions: Killion

Ice Octopus

Dec 7, 2018
No luck so far.
Only thing found directly online is that crappy resolution team photo

Yeah that's all I can find too. They only had that look for one season, but for some reason I can't seem to find any high res shots of it, just of some of their other seasons/uniforms.

Reactions: Killion

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
This was the only site I could find a replica of the Cougars logo. A poster remarked
on another site that it appeared "people in the 1920s couldn't draw properly."

1928-29 Detroit Cougars - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database
I'm sure you're wise to this, but it's worth noting that the truer statement might be "amateur internet historians from the 00s can't trace old photos properly."
This blog entry illustrates that perfectly:
Hamilton Tigers (c. 1920; 20??): Hamilton Tigers Logos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad