Detroit: Become Human - OUT NOW (PS4)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Getting great to fantastic ratings pretty much everywhere. Even some of the most “David Cage Sucks” crowd is admitting it’s a pretty good game. Glad to see :)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Getting great to fantastic ratings pretty much everywhere. Even some of the most “David Cage Sucks” crowd is admitting it’s a pretty good game. Glad to see :)

I've rarely seen a AAA game get dumped on this hard. Dunno what you're talking about.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I've rarely seen a AAA game get dumped on this hard. Dunno what you're talking about.

I’ll just post a bunch:

Google: 4.5/5
IGN: 8/10
Gamespot: 8.5/10
Open Critic: 8/10
Pocket-lint: 4/5
Metacritic: 79% critic, 8.7/10 User Score
Digital trend: 8/10
GamesRadar: 4/5

Only ones that disliked it from what I see are Polygon & Kotaku which are known to be big Anti-Cage fans so tough to really take anything they say as word. VG also dislikes it but they admit it’s “because it’s a David Cage story”

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It's at a 78 rating with several scathing reviews from insightful, veteran outlets being unscored. That's bad for a game with this budget.

Like everything else Cage has done, this game is a litmus test for determining how much/little any given video game critic/player understands about narrative. It's unfortunate to see that bar is still this low for so many people, but also not surprising.

Detroit is a beautiful game, one rendered with a level of visual care and detail that’s rare even in the lavish world of blockbuster video games. But all of that work feels wasted, tied to a story that, by the end, feels meaningless. In Detroit, androids can dream. But the game’s creators can’t seem to dream of anything new to say.

This should be on the box of every Quantic Dream game.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It's at a 78 rating with several scathing reviews from insightful, veteran outlets being unscored. That's bad for a game with this budget.

Like everything else Cage has done, this game is a litmus test for determining how much/little any given video game critic/player understands about narrative. It's unfortunate to see that bar is still this low for so many people, but also not surprising.

This should be on the box of every Quantic Dream game.
Yawn, we get it..you don't like Cage. Move on. Or are you just going to keep coming in here to bash the game that you have no interest in playing? Think they call that trolling.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Considering the surface level appearance of an allegory about black people in America with freaking Detroit as the setting, I will watch the Best Friends play this game and see how worth my time it will actually be.

It would need to do a lot to break from the small tidbits of stupidity that I have heard so far.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Considering the surface level appearance of an allegory about black people in America with freaking Detroit as the setting, I will watch the Best Friends play this game and see how worth my time it will actually be.

It would need to do a lot to break from the small tidbits of stupidity that I have heard so far.
Haha what????

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

David Cage doesn't know anything beyond surface level. From what I've seen the game never actually has anything meaningful to say about any of it, either. It's just like... hey, here's a shot of androids riding in the back of the bus. Get it? Are we being too subtle? Or a scene with a black woman telling an android that her people used to be thought of as less than human, too... and then that's it. Doesn't bother exploring any of it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The game doesn't interest me at all except for the robot detective.

The actual social commentary by most accounts is super corny, but I like the Daniil Olivaw type detective they've got going on with that particular character.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The game doesn't interest me at all except for the robot detective.

The actual social commentary by most accounts is super corny, but I like the Daniil Olivaw type detective they've got going on with that particular character.

I have to be honest - that's the part that drew me in as well.

The android negotiator story line seems extremely interesting. I sort of wish they did the whole game about him, but I haven't seen much from the other two so I'll hold off on that judgement.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Ok, trying to move this on from the typical "F David Cage" thing that has to get pushed every time, anyone that completed the game how long did it take them? I am off and on playing at the moment and just curious.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
...It's a game about the civil rights movement of a subjugated class set in f***ing Detroit, where humans hate the androids because they're stealing their jobs.

Racism isn't even the subtext here, it's the ACTUAL TEXT.

Reactions: Torgo

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
...It's a game about the civil rights movement of a subjugated class set in ****ing Detroit. Racism isn't even the subtext here, it's the ACTUAL TEXT.
IT'S A VIDEO GAME. Take your liberal agenda somewhere else.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
IT'S A VIDEO GAME. Take your liberal agenda somewhere else.

You're being really naive if you think video games don't contain social commentary, or that they shouldn't. The criticism you had originally responded to was just that the social commentary wasn't subtle enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad