Detroit: Become Human - OUT NOW (PS4)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I haven't sat down and fully played through a game in a long time (last two were Beyond: Two Souls and The Last of Us). Cannot wait for this game to be released.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I guess its just because I am getting older but these "epic story" type games just don't grab me anymore. Heavy Rain, Last of Us, pretty much any MGS game since 2005, quite a few JRPG games these days...

This game and Death Stranding just don't excite me haha. I guess cause I wont have time to sit and watch hours of cut-scenes with minimal gameplay.

Detroit looks cool, looks like it will have a great story and if it were an actual 2hr movie I would probably watch it. But this is something I will probably just read a spoiler review of and get enough of the experience.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I'll never understand the appeal of entirely story-driven games written by the worst writer I've ever seen.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Probably because not everyone shares your opinion. That would be a good starting point on why that is.

Mmm... no, that doesn't explain it. David Cage being a terrible writer isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of either being able to realize it or not. People can like Uwe Boll movies (and that's fine), but that doesn't mean Uwe Boll movies are good; it just means that the people who like them don't know any better.

Tangentially, I've just answered my own question.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Mmm... no, that doesn't explain it. David Cage being a terrible writer isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of either being able to realize it or not. Tangentially, I've just answered my own question.
Ah gotcha. So your opinion just means more than others and is the end all. Cool.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Mmm... no, that doesn't explain it. David Cage being a terrible writer isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of either being able to realize it or not. People can like Uwe Boll movies (and that's fine), but that doesn't mean Uwe Boll movies are good; it just means that the people who like them don't know any better.

it's your opinion and I respect it but don't try and act like something is wrong with everyone who does enjoy them.

btw I've preorded this. one of the few games I actually have pre-ordered.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Ah gotcha. So your opinion just means more than others and is the end all. Cool.

That's... an interesting interpretation, especially considering I kinda explicitly say right in there that it's not a matter of opinion. If I had to un-strawman what you're saying here, I'd say something more along the lines of "the understanding of people who know more about writing is more accurate than the understanding of people who know less." I don't know if this is really a controversial statement when it comes to knowledge about anything.

Historically I think too many people have failed/been unable to consider Quantic Dreams' works critically enough and it has kind of allowed the studio to fail upwards. Cage has been getting asked some tougher questions over the last year or so and he hasn't responded well. He doesn't seem to understand what it means to be a writer or a game designer; he writes choose your own adventure scenarios dealing with important/mature subject matter, determines the choices and the outcomes for those scenarios, yet simultaneously wants to wash his hands of any responsibility for what the (usually nonsensical) outcomes might suggest. This is literally the opposite of what being an author means.

This article is about one Detroit trailer in particular, but I think there's a line or two in here that summarizes QD's entire catalog to a T:
If your explanation for what you're trying to do in your story is that you're going after what you find moving, that just reads as manipulative. The question is not that you are making your audience feel something, but that you are making your audience feel something for a reason. Emotional affect is a storytelling tool; saying that a dramatic story is moving is like saying that a song has notes in it, it's a hollow statement. Emotion without purpose, without direction, immediately risks feeling mawkish and hollow.

All feelings all the time, but never with anything of substance attached to any of it. What are the odds that Detroit has yet another trademark Cage impromptu rape/attempted rape scene in it that otherwise contributes nothing to the story?

it's your opinion and I respect it but don't try and act like something is wrong with everyone who does enjoy them.

btw I've preorded this. one of the few games I actually have pre-ordered.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying them. There's something wrong with thinking they have good writing, which... seems like it might be important in a game designed mainly/potentially entirely around its writing.

I'd f***ing love it if QD finally nailed a game, but every time they show more and every time David Cage does another interview it just makes me think that they still don't get it. If nothing else at least the memes will probably be pretty good again.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I'm only interested in this game because it's set in Detroit, the game itself will probably be on the level of NMS, I've generally been disappointed in epic story games as well...TLOU, HZD, as some point, they all telegraph the 'twist' or get overhyped by Sony fanboys, and they're more 'k' than amazing.

Still set in Detroit, Gamers club discount, I will buy this.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
>Oh this game will be awesome! Can't wait to---

*David Cage presents*

Never mind.

Heavy Rain sucked btw. I literally figured out who the villain was just by looking at the box cover. Never been so mad at finishing a game before.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com

But unlike Uwe Boll movies, QD games are pretty consistently rated fairly highly. Heavy Rain was praised by almost every reviewer, Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit was generally highly rated, and even Beyond was mostly rated in the 7s (which, generally is considered decent to good).

So...other than your opinion, where is the objective fact that the games are bad? Or you're just the only person who knows better?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Those games all got praise because they tried to be these lame ass cinematic experiences and since most game critics have the IQ of a goldfish and are desperate for validation as something bigger than entertainment, they put those games on a pedestal.

Indigo Prophecy was legitimately innovative so it deserves a bit of praise, but Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls were loads of bull****. Both of those games got hammered by people who actually played them as a video game. Cage is a hack and the people who put him in the upper echelon of game creators are also hacks.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Or, you know, opinions, different preferences, etc. Some people don't like icecream. There is no 'objectively bad' in creative space like this (within reason).

I've enjoyed every QD game I've played, and I'm super pumped about this game. Both 'Heavy Rain' and 'Beyond: Two Souls' also received plenty of praise from gamers.

It's weird, how the world can actually keep on turning when people like different things and accept that not everyone shares the same view and can still be happy.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Indeed. I believe the conclusion is that your knowledge of the nuances of writing prevents you from enjoying David Cage games and Uwe Boll movies. Shame, really. Perhaps there's a lesson to be learned here. :sarcasm: :laugh:

I actually agree with you that's he's not a good writer, although I came to that conclusion cluelessly (as I do with all conclusions). Let's call it my opinion.

The premise for the game is extremely interesting, but given my (albeit limited) experience with previous David Cage games, my excitement level is a solid mediocre right now.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
OH boy. I knew once this date was released this would come up, there would be people coming in to say how much David Cage sucks. Happens every time haha.

FWIW I loved Heavy Rain & Beyond Two Souls. Guess I just suck at knowing which games to like though.

Already preordered this. Looks awesome.

Reactions: Nickmo82

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Who is saying they are objectively bad, anyhow? More that from a critical standpoint in the gameplay and the writing there are major concerns people have with it when they do a thorough analysis. And a lot of those concerns are immersion-breaking.

I would be curious to see a developed analysis that can demonstrate why people think David Cage games have good writing and gameplay in them. You can have any opinion you like, but it would certainly help to elaborate on why you hold that opinion other than "different strokes for different folks."

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If you look hard enough you can find problems with anything.

Some of us are not actively looking for issues with the writing and enjoy the overall theme, feel and presentation of the game. Some people find it easy to become connected or invested in the characters and the story.

I like pizza because it tastes good and I enjoy it. I don't really think about it too much. Am I supposed to? We're not talking about a serious life issue here -- we're talking about whether or not people enjoy a game or like a story. I'm sure you could find many a foody that would dissect a pizza and tell me that it's pretty terrible. Now admittedly video games can be a little deeper than that, but I don't think people should have to constantly defend why they enjoy something if it's not hurting anyone else.

It's this strange need by some people who believe they're on some kind of higher level of understanding or taste who try to force their opinions or beliefs on people (or simply consider them lesser because they can't change their minds) that is weird.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
That is just an elaborate way of saying "different strokes for different folks."

I never said you had to go in depth with why you like his games, but it certainly helps in a discussion board. Particularly with a franchise where I don't think I have seen an in depth analysis that actually praises his games.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think it's necessary at all to have to "justify" why we like a game to people who don't like it. It's our opinion, if you don't like it cool. I'm not here to try to sway anyone and whatever we say wouldn't change your opinion anyway so why waste the time and effort? This isn't HS paper.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think it's necessary at all to have to "justify" why we like a game to people who don't like it. It's our opinion, if you don't like it cool. I'm not here to try to sway anyone and whatever we say wouldn't change your opinion anyway so why waste the time and effort? This isn't HS paper.

I think this is the third time saying you don't have to justify having your own opinion.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Seems like that's exactly what you want.
I would love to have an in depth discussion about this specific media, because I like to talk about things that I have opinions on and like to see in depth analysis of things in media. That is not saying that if you specifically have an opinion you specifically have to elaborate and discuss it in detail. There is a distinct difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad