Detroit and the Lottery

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Ducks fan here, it sucks, but it is what it is, I think besides laf I'll be happy with whomever we take.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I don't hold a stake in either team so I couldn't care less what the spreadsheets look like. I know which team I would rather support and that team is Pittsburgh, the Red Wings have turned into a trash organization in recent years. I would bet Lafreniere was thanking his lucky stars, at least he isn't headed to 17 win Detroit.

You may want to cheer for them in the next 3 years l, but what happens when Crosby/Malkin age out and they don’t get Lafreniere?

They’ve shown us they can’t sustain themselves as an NHL franchise when they don’t tank and have the best player in the world.

Also by your logic teams like Chicago/LA must be “trash” organizations as well, right?

Reactions: LazyT

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Let me try now...

Class organization != 17 wins

Sorry, but that's just my opinion. You have a nice day now.

Its a pretty stupid opinion then.

Would you agree the NYI are a better organization than Chicago? Is Buffalo a better organization than LA?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I couldn't care less how the success was achieved as long as it was. To illustrate my point I will even admit that I especially admire the Spygate Patriots teams and the 2018 Houston Astros for doing all they could in their power to succeed. Just win baby!

Im just curious, if by some miracle Detroit ends up a very good playoff team, and Pittsburgh ends up as bottom dwellers next season...are their roles reversed and Pittsburgh is the “trash organization”?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Pittsburgh is a model franchise?

They are the luckiest franchise in the history of pro sports.

Lemieux
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin

Gtfo....

That is just nuts to be so lucky.

Their drafting and development of forwards over the last 20-25 years is some of the worst you'll find.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Lemieux
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin

Gtfo....

Not to mention before the fluke Crosby draft win, they were on the brink of Bankruptcy!

Funny how the knucklehead who thinks 1 awfully bad 17 win season means any franchise is trash, let alone an Original 6 team that has has many Cups as anyone since 1997. Also way to show you are nothing but a bandwagon jumper, as if it is really hard to cheer for a winner every year. Literally every fan on the planet can cheer for the team that wins every year, that I am not really sure what satisfaction comes just from cheering for whoever wins in a given year!

Reactions: Godstin Matthews

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I agree with Burke about the "Pens" model. He still did a bad job in Toronto because he took shortcuts essentially.

As for Detroit... It sucks they got 4th but you guys built a powerhouse in the 90s/00s and it wasn't because of where you drafted at.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Not that they are a model franchise but most of the Canes best players came much later, Their high picks of Hanifin and Lindholm were really underwhelming while Aho, Slavin, and Pesce all came in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Teravainen was a mid 1st rounder iirc. Necas is looking pretty good as 12oa.

Svech is the obvious outlier here at 2oa but his rookie season wasn't amazing by any means and he wasn't even close to the calder.

I think you can still build without 1 and 2oa with good scouting and development but it's just harder.

Reactions: Greasy Armadillo

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I love the collective sarcastic responses of "poor Red Wings fans, what a shame!"

If this happened to any other team, your fanbase would be sour too. Dropping back 4 lotteries in a row sucks. Picking 4th overall after one of the worst historical seasons in recent memory sucks. Everyone knows this format was a complete joke, but hey, let's kick the Red Wings and their fans when they are down!

People seem to forget that we haven't been a great team in over a decade now. At what point will we stop hearing "the Wings had their chance at the top, so I'm happy they suck!!" We've sucked for a while now, and the NHL could benefit from a relevent Wings team, yet the draft lottery is making it hard to turn this thing around.

But hey, let's all make fun of the Wings, because they were good in the early 2000s!!

I'm not sure I agree about the whole "the league could benefit from a relevant wings team" Bandwagoners jump on whatever teams are the best. Chicago wasn't popular at all until they had a mini dynasty. In football teams like the Chiefs aren't super popular until they get a franchise talent and now we'll see tons of fans for them. The Wings were only popular outside detriot b/c they were so good for so long. The Patriots will see a similar decline in the future but another team will step up for the bandwagoneers and the leagues won't be hurt.

People outside of a market follow stars, not teams.

Reactions: ShonSaunders

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
All the league should have done was limit the number of times a team can be awarded 1st over a set period of time. Instead we now have the prospect of a 1OA superstar going to a team that already has superstars. It's wrong on every level.

People who hated the cap *cough Detriot fans* should be all for this b/c they say dynasties and superpowers were good for the league. Watching a team with 3 or 4 ppg players crushing the league should be good then right?

just upset it ain't yer team?

Reactions: Pyromaniac

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
People who hated the cap *cough Detriot fans* should be all for this b/c they say dynasties and superpowers were good for the league. Watching a team with 3 or 4 ppg players crushing the league should be good then right?

just upset it ain't yer team?

Watching 5-7 really good teams is much better than watching 10-15 just kind of good teams go at it, because the talent is so spread out!

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
Gotta love that Edmonton bent the previous lottery over for years and got McDavid. Now, there was such a drastic overreaction that so many other lottery teams are getting screwed in their wake. The same thing happened with the 76ers in the NBA.

Reactions: mantha39

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
No question about it: Detroit got stiffed, Ottawa doubly so...

and the NHL has PROVEN....beyond a SHADOW of a DOUBT...that they are the MOST...ineptly run of the 4 major sports leagues. And it's not EVEN close.

I mean for the most part, the same thing happens in the NBA system post "The Process". So many teams have been screwed by the expanding lottery odds. Not saying the NHL doesn't have its issues, but expanding the lottery and having odd results isn't exclusive to them

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
It needs to be tweaked into in betweens like changing the odds. I think someone proposed to have a rule that a team couldn't get 1st OA for 3 years after getting one that would be awesome. It sad when teams that has never tanked before gets punished. Detroit, LA and Ducks were competitive for years I think they deserve to get another franchise player at some point since theirs are aging or gone. It is stupid that one of the play ins will now get the 1st OA. I will be fine if Isles, Yotes or Habs get that pick though. Those are teams that haven't had a franchise level player for years. Would've added Wild but I don't want them to have a franchise player same with Chicago. But man if Leafs, Oilers or Pens get it that's pretty unfair considering the roster or recent generational player they have/had that basically remove the purpose of having a draft.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Not that they are a model franchise but most of the Canes best players came much later, Their high picks of Hanifin and Lindholm were really underwhelming while Aho, Slavin, and Pesce all came in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Teravainen was a mid 1st rounder iirc. Necas is looking pretty good as 12oa.

Svech is the obvious outlier here at 2oa but his rookie season wasn't amazing by any means and he wasn't even close to the calder.

I think you can still build without 1 and 2oa with good scouting and development but it's just harder.

Your post is somewhat contradictory though, because the Canes did get lucky with Svech at 2. That was gifted to them via the lottery. So while I do agree with your assessment on the organization as a whole, they had their turn getting lucky in the gimmick that we call the draft lottery. That bs luck that they got, earned them Svech, and he may very well be the piece that leads them back to the promised land.

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
There is something wrong with the system. That’s not even debatable.

View attachment 351591

I mean the numbers are skewed slightly due to the small sample size. Philly is only at the top because they just happened to jump 11 spots in one year. All this chart shows me is if you find yourself at the bottom more frequently (Buffalo, Ottawa, Vancouver, Detroit), you're more likely to fall, which also makes sense given how they are lottery veterans.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Lemieux
Jagr
Crosby
Malkin

Gtfo....

and they still want bankrupt and almost lost the team how many times?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It needs to be tweaked into in betweens like changing the odds. I think someone proposed to have a rule that a team couldn't get 1st OA for 3 years after getting one that would be awesome. It sad when teams that has never tanked before gets punished. Detroit, LA and Ducks were competitive for years I think they deserve to get another franchise player at some point since theirs are aging or gone. It is stupid that one of the play ins will now get the 1st OA. I will be fine if Isles, Yotes or Habs get that pick though. Those are teams that haven't had a franchise level player for years. Would've added Wild but I don't want them to have a franchise player same with Chicago. But man if Leafs, Oilers or Pens get it that's pretty unfair considering the roster or recent generational player they have/had that basically remove the purpose of having a draft.

The easiest way would be to

1st overall. Bottom 5
2nd overall bottom 10
3rd overall. All non playofss

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
As a Wings fan, obviously this draft sucked for Detroit. But beyond that the NHL just held a draft where the qualifying round teams ended up with a better percent chance at 1st overall than every team except Detroit and Ottawa.

Reactions: Oddbob

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
As a Wings fan I'm totally fine with the draft right now.

Nobody is owed anything for losing. Nobody "deserves" the 1st overall pick. The draft is intended to give bad teams good picks and it accomplished that.

Yzerman should be able to build our team on the backs of a few years worth of 4-10ths. We should develop some overperformers (either from 4-10ths or from later rounds), and make smart trades to fill in the gaps. If we don't accomplish that, it's on management, and we'll sigh and try again.

Nobody is owed Cups, and we like all other teams need to take what we get and do our best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad