Detroit – Draft Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFNHL Red Wings

Detroit entered this draft with only modest hopes. Not only was Detroit picking late in the first round as usual (the team has never picked higher than 15th) but was entering a draft that many considered the weakest since 1996.
Given these modest expectations the Detroit scouting staff was given an increased budget and told to search out the best players that met the following criteria:
(i) Defencemen must be able to play defence
(ii) Forwards must have a good work ethic, be able to play in traffic, and not be a defensive liability
(iii) Emphasis on speed/skill as long as the aforementioned core attributes conditions have been met
As usual the Detroit draft list had many of what other teams may consider ‘reach’ picks while other highly touted prospects found themselves relegated to the later rounds on Detroit’s priority list.

In the end Detroit made the most of it’s first day of the draft and feels it has made the best of a poor draft.

D Kirill Lyamin (25th) – Identified by many as a late 1st or early second round pick Detroit had him listed in it’s top 20 and 3rd most likely defenceman to succeed at the NHL level.
Kirill, while being Russia’s number one 86 born defenceman, likely projects as a 2nd pairing defenceman at the NHL level. He is moderately physical, plays a strong positional game and is very difficult to beat one on one. In addition his offensive potential is still raw but given his strong skating, vision, and puck skills it is felt he may develop into a 2nd PP unit QB and will excel in the transition game.

Upon making this selection GM Niece heard cries of protest and cursing from the Carolina camp for the 3rd consecutive year. Mr. Niece only smiled.

F Martins Karsums (55th) – Labeled by one source as the most elusive player in the draft. Mr. Karsums brings a high speed/skill ratio and most importantly, despite his diminutive stature, is a feisty player who not only can take the hits but deals them out.
Detroit was pleasantly surprised to find him still on the draft board at 55th as a few prognosticators had pegged him as a sure fire early to mid second round pick. One insider leaked that Detroit had been trying to trade up in the 2nd round specifically to acquire Martins Karsums and that the team was even willing to take him with their first round pick had Kirill Lyamin not been available.

D Jordan Smith (80th) – Once again Detroit could not believe it’s luck when Mr. Smith was still available in the 3rd round. No less than four sources had predicted he would be taken in the 50’s or mid 60’s and Detroit had him prioritized even higher than that.
Jordan is a very nasty physical defensive defenceman who’s style was compared by some to the likes of Bryan Marchment and Darius Kasperitis.

With 9 picks remaining Detroit hopes to see it’s fortunes continue on day 2 of the draft.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Upon making this selection GM Niece heard cries of protest and cursing from the Carolina camp for the 3rd consecutive year. Mr. Niece only smiled.

3rd consecutive yr?? my my have we gotten Alzhemiers quick. This is like my second draft attended... What is it with you and taking my bruising Russian Defensmen... Kaydekin and now Lyamin... :cry:

*grumble grumble grumble*

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
HFNHL Red Wings said:

D Kirill Lyamin (25th) ....

Not only the Carolina camp, but you made me alter my draft strategy with that one pick. I was HOPING and PRAYING that he would fall to 30th.

CURSE YOU DREW. CURSE YOU.

HFNHL Red Wings

Donga said:
3rd consecutive yr?? my my have we gotten Alzhemiers quick. This is like my second draft attended... What is it with you and taking my bruising Russian Defensmen... Kaydekin and now Lyamin... :cry:

*grumble grumble grumble*

No I'm pretty sure it's 3 consecutive years. Does Antti Miettinen ring a bell from the 2002 draft :) Josh actually ran it for you from your draft list in 2002 and everytime I picked a player Josh told me how you were going to be pissed at me :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->