Sportsnet: Details of Babcock's meeting with Andersen when they were in Denmark

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Needs to step up in the playoffs, under pressure. In my opinion he has failed to do that so far as a Leaf.

Reactions: Brown Dog

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Anything actually interesting in this?
Andersen's parents wanted to be included with what was going on.

"I think he wanted to just include them on what his plan was," Andersen said in an interview. "He wanted [to share] some things I should work on, and it was a good way of including the parents. I think when we’re in the NHL maybe you don’t use your parents as much anymore.

"When I was younger my dad was right there – he was my goalie coach, basically – so I think that’s something where he felt more included in my development still."

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Needs to step up in the playoffs, under pressure. In my opinion he has failed to do that so far as a Leaf.

I think he was fine in the first series, not great and not bad, just fine, but yeah the Boston series, his lows killed us.

If he was like the Washington series, I think we pull it out, he had great highs in the Boston series, but they IMO did not make up for his lesser performances to start the year.

Reactions: Maple Leafs

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
They're dinner dates during the season I imagine it went
Babs "grglgirglga oh yeah"
Andy"gagagagagagrgle yes mikey"

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
He doesn't need to step up he does his job fine. It's not his fault the defence is crap and the forwards lack defensive responsibilities. Hopefully eliminating bozak and JVR etc can help change that minimally up front.
Well in October, he does need to step up. Say what you want about the Leafs defense, but last year in October, he was one of the worst goalies in the league when it came to lower danger save percentage. We’re not talking breakaways or 2-1s here, he was letting in weak unscreened wristers from the point.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
People seem to forget saves likes this Andersen made against the Bruins and why the series went to 7 games.

His poor play was also a big reason why they were down 2-0 at that point and ended up losing the series.

He had some good saves, but overall wasn't good enough.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
His poor play was also a big reason why they were down 2-0 at that point and ended up losing the series.

He had some good saves, but overall wasn't good enough.
I agree that Andersen's play in the first two games could have been better. However in Game 2 the Leafs didn't do him any favors with all the penalties they took and the power play goals against because of them.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I think he was fine in the first series, not great and not bad, just fine, but yeah the Boston series, his lows killed us.

If he was like the Washington series, I think we pull it out, he had great highs in the Boston series, but they IMO did not make up for his lesser performances to start the year.

Freddy was one of the main reasons we went to 7 games. What hurt us most was the loss of Kadri for 3 games instead of the 1 or 2 he should have gotten. If he wasn't suspended we probably win that series. Kadri will atone for that this season by ending up as a Selke finalist and posting another 30+ goals.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Freddy was one of the main reasons we went to 7 games. What hurt us most was the loss of Kadri for 3 games instead of the 1 or 2 he should have gotten. If he wasn't suspended we probably win that series. Kadri will atone for that this season by ending up as a Selke finalist and posting another 30+ goals.

He was atrocious in the first 2 games and mediocre in the 4th.

I don't like this argument of only looking at goalies' good performances and ignoring the bad ones, his series sv% was 896, that's not a winning sv%.

At the end of the day, if he wants to be one of the best in the league and a Vezina candidate, he can't be below 900, not in the playoffs at least.

Reactions: dsred

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
At the end of the day, if he wants to be one of the best in the league and a Vezina candidate, he can't be below 900, not in the playoffs at least.
Last season he was 4th in voting for the Vezina and that was based on his regular season, since all the voting is done prior to the start of the playoffs.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Last season he was 4th in voting for the Vezina and that was based on his regular season, since all the voting is done prior to the start of the playoffs.

Beat me to it.

He's also faced more shots then any other goalie in the league the past few years. we also have been a work in progress in getting all of our forwards to buy into the 200 foot game.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The only fault I had was Andersen was in game 7 when he allowed the blue line shot from Kruk for the tying goal # 4 and Debrusk goal # 5. He wasn't bad in the playoffs at all till those two goals.
And I blame Babcock for goal 4, not having a centre on the ice on a 4 on 4 and Leafs lost the defensive zone face-off.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The team shit the bed the first two games, as Babs said today they weren't ready to play. Freddie redeemed himself in the mid portion of that series, but failed in the end. He has to be better, and I truly believe he will. Best since Belfour, don't bet against him. Leafs don't need best in the league tending, just steady Freddy will do, quiet and confident.

I have a feeling this Oct will be different, not that it really matters anyways lol.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The only fault I had was Andersen was in game 7 when he allowed the blue line shot from Kruk for the tying goal # 4 and Debrusk goal # 5. He wasn't bad in the playoffs at all till those two goals.
And I blame Babcock for goal 4, not having a centre on the ice on a 4 on 4 and Leafs lost the defensive zone face-off.
On that 5th Boston goal I think half the blame should have gone to Gardiner for the way he allowed Debrusk to go around him.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
He stole game six. He was overplayed horribly all season by Boobcock. Sheesh, the ACC was chanting his name during game six. We had a one goal lead in the third and Boobcock has the team laying back and playing defensive.

Its all on Boobcock, the Boston series. Outcoached again.

I am making a new call. Sheldon Keefe is warming up in the Maple Leaf dressing room.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad