Confirmed Trade: [DET/WSH] Nick Jensen and 2019 5th round pick for 2020 2nd round pick and Madison Bowey

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Bowey came from Kelowna and was playing for Barry Trotz. The success rate for defenseman coming out of that program was high and Trotz had cranked out a few great dmen with his coaching as well.

I don’t think Bowey is overrated. He wasn’t going to get the minutes he needs in Washington behind Carlson and Niskanen to develope his all around game. Physically he appears ready but the mental game not quite.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Caps signed Jensen to a 4 year, $10 million extension. So, it turns out he wasn't a rental. Deal just got better for the Caps.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I don't mind losing Bowey. He's that game you have in Steam that you will never play because you don't have the time, besides have much better games anyway. But a 2nd for a 28 year old with 3 years in the league? You tend you think if he is genuinely good it wouldn't have taken until 25 for him to get a shot. Surely a 3rd could have got this over the line? Obviously I have to see Jensen play but for now colour me unimpressed

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I don't mind losing Bowey. He's that game you have in Steam that you will never play because you don't have the time, besides have much better games anyway. But a 2nd for a 28 year old with 3 years in the league? You tend you think if he is genuinely good it wouldn't have taken until 25 for him to get a shot. Surely a 3rd could have got this over the line? Obviously I have to see Jensen play but for now colour me unimpressed

So you’ve never seen him play but in your opinion the cost to acquire him was too high?

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
So you’ve never seen him play but in your opinion the cost to acquire him was too high?
On paper, it looks it to me. If Jensen blows me away with his play then I'm happy to change my mind. Hopefully for our sake he's just a late bloomer

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
If Bowey had the IQ to go with his talent he'd have been a first round pick, but he wasn't, and it wasn't really a mistake by the rest of the NHL. Talented enough to score goals in the WHL, not smart enough to make the same opportunities (or anywhere near) in the NHL.

Even if he can become a daily player, he won't look anything like the player that was drafted in order to do so, and I don't see a valuable offensive role for him at the NHL level.

Reactions: theVladiator

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I hope Bowey figures it out for the Wings. Very likeable guy, positive attitude in the face of adversity.

He just screws up all the damn time. Nothing subtle about it either. He struggles with decision making at NHL level and Caps' coaches were done with him. Hope he finds success.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Bowey is a project. Its not that he was behind Carlson and Niskanen. It was that he was behind Djoos and then Seigenthaler too. He need to play and not worry about making mistakes that lose games.

Reactions: Kuzya daddy

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
More likely a high 3rd round and Bowie for Jensen. But I'll sure as hell take it from Detroit's perspective.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Bowey was the worst defenseman on the Capitals roster since Jason Doig and Kiwi were around. Good kid and I wish him well, but he's AHL talent at best imo.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I wish Jensen the best of luck and I think Washington fans will be happy with him. Solid in his own in end and a smooth skater.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Bowey was the worst defenseman on the Capitals roster since Jason Doig and Kiwi were around. Good kid and I wish him well, but he's AHL talent at best imo.
I think you're conflating time on ice and where he stacked up on a SC roster with how good he is, I enter the following images into evidence:

Jeff Schultz
230px-Jeff_Schultz_2013-03-19.JPG

Curtis Glencross
CurtisGlencross.jpg

Mike Webber

230px-Mike_Weber_2016-03-01_2.JPG

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
It’s unfortunate because Bowey literally has all of the physical tools to be a stud, just lacks the proper hockey sense and IQ. He has shown flashes, but, has not ever been able to consistently make the right decisions and read the game well at the NHL level. I’m not sure if that can be developed and coached, but, if it can, it’d be huge for his game. He’s not even an idiot (minus the Instagram video of him smoking weed in-season a couple years back in Hershey), but, it’s just the lack of consistent and correct decision making. I hope he puts it together. He racked up huge numbers in juniors because his talent was just so much higher than most other defenders. At the NHL level, you have to be a smart player and make the right decisions, but, he hasn’t been able to consistently do that. For his sake, I hope it’s just more of a confidence thing and growing pains, but, nothing has changed drastically - in that regard - at the NHL level for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad