Confirmed Trade: [DET/WSH] Nick Jensen and 2019 5th round pick for 2020 2nd round pick and Madison Bowey

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He is still very young though.

I have to admit that when I saw him play live in junior a couple of times I wasn't very impresed either.

But he has the skillset to be coached and he could still make a very good dependable #4-5 guy in the NHL, which is pretty much the role Jensen was in.

He couldn’t get it together under the coaching staff that turned Carlson into a Norris candidate, turned Niskanen and Orlov into a top pairing, turned Nate Schmidt into a top pair defenseman, turned Kempny into a top 4 guy from a healthy scratch in Chicago, turned 7th rounder Christian Djoos into a bonafide NHL player, etc so color me not optimistic about his chances of developing into much more than he is. But, yes, as you said he’s young and has talent... I just don’t think he’ll ever amount to anything other than a fringe NHLer.

Reactions: Kuzya daddy

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
The 5th is the 2nd of our 3 5th rounders (Buffalo's originally)

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Craig Custance on the Athletic graded this as an A for both teams and I think he's spot on. We got a second for our rebuild from a player that's just not good enough to invest in with where we're at. The Capitals added good D depth for the playoffs and addressed their team needs well without paying a super inflated deadline price. Jensen will help your pk, team speed and getting the puck up ice. Bowey was buried behind better D in Washington. We give him a chance to develop and capitalize on those tools that once made him a pretty hyped prospect. Cheers and best of luck to Jensen and the Caps.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Craig Custance on the Athletic graded this as an A for both teams and I think he's spot on. We got a second for our rebuild from a player that's just not good enough to invest in with where we're at. The Capitals added good D depth for the playoffs and addressed their team needs well without paying a super inflated deadline price. Jensen will help your pk, team speed and getting the puck up ice. Bowey was buried behind better D in Washington. We give him a chance to develop and capitalize on those tools that once made him a pretty hyped prospect. Cheers and best of luck to Jensen and the Caps.
Greg W gave both teams an A-, it’s nice to have such a positive thread, every post is like we want this guy to succeed there’s just no fit here, you’ll like this guy, most threads are like this guy we traded isn’t shit now.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Problem is that one of those main things, the goal scoring, dried up hard at the NHL level. I'd call this a time machine trade, Capitals get a more polished version of what they'd hope Bowey could turn into while the Wings try and cultivate the same useful piece but one that fits in-window. There's a touch more upside with Bowey but I think it's going to stay limited by the brain, Mike Green style but worse.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Problem is that one of those main things, the goal scoring, dried up hard at the NHL level. I'd call this a time machine trade, Capitals get a more polished version of what they'd hope Bowey could turn into while the Wings try and cultivate the same useful piece but one that fits in-window. There's a touch more upside with Bowey but I think it's going to stay limited by the brain, Mike Green style but worse.
For sure he's had his struggles. As far as I'm concerned the second is the centerpiece to the deal and Bowey is a throw-in. A new team with a new system and opportunity could put him back on track. If not, oh well; when you rebuild you acquire as many "maybes" as you can and see what sticks. If he was hitting on his potential, you wouldn't be trading him as the + for Nick Jensen.

Reactions: HTFN

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
This is a nice trade for both sides. A 2nd + Bowey is higher than expected as a return. The Caps however now get Jensen for 5 playoff runs, which explains the high return.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Madison Bowey's time was clearly up here when he lost his starting 6 job once again. He has all the tools but no toolbox. He might end up being better for the Red Wings though as his best weapon is the big shot from the point on the PP which he was never going to be in with Carlson in Washington. I hope it works out better for him in Detroit.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Madison Bowey's time was clearly up here when he lost his starting 6 job once again. He has all the tools but no toolbox. He might end up being better for the Red Wings though as his best weapon is the big shot from the point on the PP which he was never going to be in with Carlson in Washington. I hope it works out better for him in Detroit.
I dunno man, don't they have Game Over Green?

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I feel like it's an overpayment on the Caps side. Good for Detroit though.
Was my initial reaction also but Bowey wasn't cutting it for them and mortgaging a future pick was great way to add depth in repeat effort. I like the return for Detroit, but it's far from certain either asset turns out. Washington knows what they're getting and a reasonable price.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Take care of Bowey Detroit, he's a good guy. Like many have already said Bowey wasn't going to get meaningful time here. He kept getting passed on the depth chart here and was given multiple opportunities to win a job.

He needs some patience and I think he could be a good bottom pairing guy. He has loads of physical talent but his questionable hockey IQ has been holding him back some.

Trade seems about as even as you can get. Getting a #4/5 RHD for a 2nd and an older B prospect is pretty decent and fits both teams needs.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
At this time I just think the NHL game is too fast for Bowey. I mean that more from a read and react standpoint, pretty much decision making. In the AHL this may not show as much, but it was evident in his game when he played for the Capitals. I suppose he can get better at it, but the Capitals just don't have the need to be patient with him at this point, with Siegenthaler passing him and the defensive depth within the organization beyond that (two first round defensemen plus). Best to get value for him now as he was not in the future plans for the organization.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

The Capitals traded a 3rd for Kempny last year who was getting healthy scratched in Chicago. This is a right shot defenseman playing 20 mins a game in the NHL. As he is not a rental anymore, I don't see it as overpayment. Start of next season the Caps lose Bowey on waivers.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Greg W gave both teams an A-, it’s nice to have such a positive thread, every post is like we want this guy to succeed there’s just no fit here, you’ll like this guy, most threads are like this guy we traded isn’t **** now.

It really is nice to see an amiable thread. I think this deal will be viewed one way by posters that have no stake in the two teams and a completely different way by fans of both teams who realize, it is what it is, a “hockey trade” and not a fleecing by either side. Unfortunately, on HF, every trade has to have a “loser.”

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Capitals traded a 3rd for Kempny last year who was getting healthy scratched in Chicago. This is a right shot defenseman playing 20 mins a game in the NHL. As he is not a rental anymore, I don't see it as overpayment. Start of next season the Caps lose Bowey on waivers.

Ben Lovejoy, a much worse player than NJ, just got a 3rd+ and Adam McQuaid is now the top rental defenseman on the market. What the Caps paid is extremely fair.

Reactions: ujju2

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Wings fans see Tyler Bertuzzi as a kid that has lots of room to grow and is still developing each game. He is just now starting to score like a top 6 player. I can't speak for everyone, but for me, the rate that Bertuzzi is developing for a 2rd round pick seems incredibly fast (good for us!). We are not use to seeing young players make such an impact at such a young age here in Detroit. And Defensemen take even longer!

That said, Madison Bowey was picked 5 spots earlier in the same draft as Tyler Bertuzzi. I'll have to see how Detroit develops him (the Red Wings way), but feels like Wshington Capitals were trying to expedite his development and fast-track him since they are in win-now-mode. Which seems like a floundering way to develop a young defenseman who also seems to have some maturity issues.

I get why Capitals can't show any real patience with him as they are too busy winning cups. Which should be their primary focus right now.

I watched tape of him last night and the first thing I noticed about him is he is showing confidence issues. He's in a pressure cooker over there. I suspect a change of scenery without the stressors of making mistakes will be a huge relief and potentially improve his confidence issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I thought that too, but Jensen came with an extension and Bowey apparently sucks. I think it's a really good deal for them, and it stings that they re-signed Jensen to a good contract. He's a super solid DFD that can carry a bottom pair, he's a great addition for them for then next 4+ years.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Wings fans see Tyler Bertuzzi as a kid that has lots of room to grow and is still developing each game. He is just now starting to score like a top 6 player. I can't speak for everyone, but for me, the rate that Bertuzzi is developing for a 2rd round pick seems incredibly fast (good for us!). We are not use to seeing young players make such an impact at such a young age here in Detroit. And Defensemen take even longer!

That said, Madison Bowey was picked 5 spots earlier in the same draft as Tyler Bertuzzi. I'll have to see how Detroit develops him (the Red Wings way), but feels like Wshington Capitals were trying to expedite his development and fast-track him since they are in win-now-mode. Which seems like a floundering way to develop a young defenseman who also seems to have some maturity issues.

I get why Capitals can't show any real patience with him as they are too busy winning cups. Which should be their primary focus right now.

I watched tape of him last night and the first thing I noticed about him is he is showing confidence issues. He's in a pressure cooker over there. I suspect a change of scenery without the stressors of making mistakes will be a huge relief and potentially improve his confidence issues.
I hope Bowey does succeed, but he's had these same issues since his WHL days. Maybe more patience/less pressure will help but he still has the questionable hockey IQ.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I hope Bowey does succeed, but he's had these same issues since his WHL days. Maybe more patience/less pressure will help but he still has the questionable hockey IQ.

As my grandpa always use to say "you can't fix stupid". Atleast he's no risk if he fails. I'm sure KH can flip him next year for a 5th rounder if it came to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad