Confirmed Trade: [DET/WSH] Nick Jensen and 2019 5th round pick for 2020 2nd round pick and Madison Bowey

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
I think you're conflating time on ice and where he stacked up on a SC roster with how good he is, I enter the following images into evidence:

Jeff Schultz
230px-Jeff_Schultz_2013-03-19.JPG

Curtis Glencross
CurtisGlencross.jpg

Mike Webber

230px-Mike_Weber_2016-03-01_2.JPG
Nah. Schultz was garbage, and still better than Bowey in every aspect except slap shot. And I'm talking D, I don't care about the lousy forwards they used to round out the 4th line.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Seems like a good return for Detroit. Bowey was improved at points this year, but isn't a consistent NHLer yet.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't mind losing Bowey. He's that game you have in Steam that you will never play because you don't have the time, besides have much better games anyway. But a 2nd for a 28 year old with 3 years in the league? You tend you think if he is genuinely good it wouldn't have taken until 25 for him to get a shot. Surely a 3rd could have got this over the line? Obviously I have to see Jensen play but for now colour me unimpressed
The way he plays the game is conducive to the way the game of hockey is played in the NHL now. He was a late bloomer as is.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Bowey is the lottery ticket here. What matters most in the 2020 2nd round pick.

If Detroit could obtain a 5th round pick prior to the season for Jensen they would have taken it and run.

Reactions: The Red Line

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Seems like a good return for Detroit. Bowey was improved at points this year, but isn't a consistent NHLer yet.
I also don’t think his ceiling is higher than the 3RD pair based on his progression to date and I don’t see him climbing that ladder in Wsh.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Bowey came from Kelowna and was playing for Barry Trotz. The success rate for defenseman coming out of that program was high and Trotz had cranked out a few great dmen with his coaching as well.

I don’t think Bowey is overrated. He wasn’t going to get the minutes he needs in Washington behind Carlson and Niskanen to develope his all around game. Physically he appears ready but the mental game not quite.
I agree with most of this. I’m just not TOO encouraged by Bowey’s progression in reading the play. He has the physical tools and should easily dominate a lower league like the AHL but you watch him on the ice and every time a play is there he has a look in his eyes like “Okay, what’s coming next.” Usually guys that are going to figure it out don’t look so uncomfortable in their own skin or are at least showing signs of thinking the game but I just haven’t seen it from Bowey.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Love this deal as a Wings fan. So many threads of (mostly Leafs fans) people saying he wasn't ever going to be worth a 2nd. I like Jensen, he's a good player, but I'm glad we got a high pick for him, and also glad that he re-signed in Wash, as it ensures the Wings will NOT sign him in the off-season, freeing up a spot for one of the youngsters.

I have absolutely no issues losing Jensen, especially for a decent pick.

Reactions: Mister Bungle

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Im realy confused about that Jensen. I told me that he doesnt worth a 2nd pick and now that contract?

Im just totally clueless

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Fantastic deal because now they have a cheap asset to trade. Kempny is also a cheap asset to trade. BMac is Killin it.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Reirden has done amazing things with defensemen.
This is one of the principle concerns I have with Bowey’s perceived stagnation. If Rierden can’t make an NHL DMan out of him, I’m not sure it can be done. If he had stayed in Wsh I have little doubt he would have become a stable 3RD pairing guy I just think Jensen gets us to that end without the development tract.

Oct 18, 2006
Im realy confused about that Jensen. I told me that he doesnt worth a 2nd pick and now that contract?

Im just totally clueless
It's a good contract. Guy is super consistent, and can easily eat up 20 mins a night without making mistakes.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Thank god the Leafs didn't pay that
Yeah that’s what I always hear no one saying; “man the Leafs D is so good we don’t need upgrades anywhere.”

This is a team moving something from a surplus to address a right-now need. You’ll understand when you’re asking why the Leafs got bounced again with all that middle-6 depth they have when they’re still counting on Jake Gardiner and Ron Hainsey to play meaningful minutes in a 7-Game series.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Im just totally clueless

Jensen is kind of a hard person to value IMO. I never expected him to be more than a #6/7 D, but this year he's been a solid second pairing option. He skates well, isn't flashy but moves the puck up the ice well. This year he's been super consistent and effective. If he keeps up this level of play then a second, Bowey and 2.5 mil AAV is a steal, but I sort of expect this year to be a bit of a flash in the pan and he'll be more of a third pairing D going forward.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Think the greatness of the contract is being ovetblown. Jensen is a fine bottom pair guy and probably could have gotten closer to 3, but 4 years is more than I would given him. Think it’s very likely in those 4 years superior younger players will be cost a roster spot

He’s ok, but I think Wings fans overrate him similarily to how some overrated Smith due to everyone else aroubd him being terrible. He’s ok but looks better due to his comparables on the Wings being horrible

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Bowey is awful. Hopefully for Detroit he turns into an NHL player but he's unplayable even as a 3RD at this point. He is the definition of all the tools and no tool box. Very happy about this.

He is still very young though.

I have to admit that when I saw him play live in junior a couple of times I wasn't very impresed either.

But he has the skillset to be coached and he could still make a very good dependable #4-5 guy in the NHL, which is pretty much the role Jensen was in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->