Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Wings re-sign Jimmy Howard (1 year, $4M AAV + $1.1M in performance bonuses)

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Wouldn't they have signed a longer deal if they felt that their pipeline of goalies was garbage? This is the opposite, making sure they're not stuck with Howard when or if the young guys up.

A longer deal would make this a 35+ contract. After the Datsyuk situation, I think the team wants to steer clear of any chance of it playing out again.

Who knows how long Howard would want to stick it out through a rebuild?

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah they’ve put a decent bit of draft capital in the position with really very little to show for it.

2016 Filip Larsson (6/167) - College Freshman backup, promising
2018 Jesper Eliasson (3/84) - SHL starter

At best none of these would be NHL ready for 2 years. Realistically more like 3-5 years. And that’s assuming any of Joren, Larson, Petruzzelli, Eliasson, or Brattstrom actually make the NHL.

Didn’t include Patrik Rybar or Kaden Fulcher. Not UFA signings with unlikely NHL futures.

We'll probably end up with Swedish goalie tandem after some years. Larsson and Eliasson are the most promising guys, imo. Others are struggling, but goalies go up and down, someone can surprise from nothing and some promising can bust totally.

Howard contact is interesting, at the trade deadine it would bet ~3M paid by the Wings and ~1M + 1.1M bonus paid by the team going on the playoffs. Or you can retent 50% of that last milion paid after the deadline (usually after the deadline there's 25% of regular season games left) to make it 500k + 1.1M in bonuses for the buyer.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Probably could of got more money and term if he went to the open market. I think he's actually pretty good, quality starter anyways. Guess staying in Detroit was a real priority for him.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Its not a terrible move but why not wait until FA?

Not like 35 yr old Jimmy Howard will be hot commodity and they could have seen how FA shook out

I think it's a loyalty thing. Like it or hate it Detroit takes care of it's own. Sometimes to the point of detriment.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Lmao at the one hawks fan who actually thinks this is bad.

Signing a goalie with his experience and his quality of play for 1 year is like the lowest risk signing ever. There is nothing at all about this that could even possibly be considered a bad deal for this team.
I said this was bad? Where?

I said it's a testament to not having anything close in the system if they're going to resort on annual deals with Howard for the foreseeable future

Reading comprehension usually helps but continue on with your straw man argument

Last edited:

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
very fair for both sides, I would have liked to see Howard a Devil this offseason

Miller would be a nice stop gap for us imo

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Wouldn't they have signed a longer deal if they felt that their pipeline of goalies was garbage? This is the opposite, making sure they're not stuck with Howard when or if the young guys up.
Going annual deals only obviously mitigates any risk for Detroit and allows him to become a trade deadline chip every year. That's likely why they're doing it. Not because they think someone will be ready after next year

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I think it's a loyalty thing. Like it or hate it Detroit takes care of it's own. Sometimes to the point of detriment.

Its not a terrible move but why not wait until FA?

Not like 35 yr old Jimmy Howard will be hot commodity and they could have seen how FA shook out

And also, if you figure he's gonna get 4M now or July, you give him 4 now so when July comes, you can be camped out on Karlsson's door at 12:01 of the week timeline and be all in without having to do stuff. Why leave this undone until July when the numbers prob ain't gonna change between now and then.

This makes it so you KNOW that you've got 14-15M in cap to do stuff with as opposed to if you flail at signing a big fish and then all of a sudden Jimmy's agent goes, you can't spend it all anyway and you give him 5-5.5 instead of 4.

Reactions: Mister Bungle

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
And also, if you figure he's gonna get 4M now or July, you give him 4 now so when July comes, you can be camped out on Karlsson's door at 12:01 of the week timeline and be all in without having to do stuff. Why leave this undone until July when the numbers prob ain't gonna change between now and then.

This makes it so you KNOW that you've got 14-15M in cap to do stuff with as opposed to if you flail at signing a big fish and then all of a sudden Jimmy's agent goes, you can't spend it all anyway and you give him 5-5.5 instead of 4.
Honestly though, where is there a starting goalie market for Howard if he left Detroit anyway?

Ottawa for sure but who wants to be a part of that tire fire. Doubt Carolina looks to sign a 35 year old Howard. Edmonton can't really afford to go near $10 mil in goalies

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Honestly though, where is there a starting goalie market for Howard if he left Detroit anyway?

Ottawa for sure but who wants to be a part of that tire fire. Doubt Carolina looks to sign a 35 year old Howard. Edmonton can't really afford to go near $10 mil in goalies

I mean, yeah, I guess. But if the whole thing won't be any different between now and then? I sign him now when he's amenable to year to year and not after July 1 when his agent can potentially try to leverage something on you. There wasn't any rush to get it done, but there is no real material reason to wait either.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I mean, yeah, I guess. But if the whole thing won't be any different between now and then? I sign him now when he's amenable to year to year and not after July 1 when his agent can potentially try to leverage something on you. There wasn't any rush to get it done, but there is no real material reason to wait either.

I see your point and it seems like Holland had no real intentions of trying for anyone in FA and especially not bobrovsky, as well they shouldnt

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I'll call this a stupid move.

For starters, Howard's not been good at all this season, or the last. He's a has-been. Second, Red Wings are in a cap crunch. They're supposed to avoid spending a lot of money. They need to save where they can. Third, even if Howard ends up doing well, that hurts the tank. They'd be much better off banking on a younger, cheaper goalie. Even if they fail, that at least helps the tank and saves some money.

Loss-loss-loss for me.

1. Howard has been pretty good this year.

2. Red Wings are not in a cap crunch. Prior to this deal, they were projected to have like ~23 million in cap space available to spend next offseason (taking into account LTIR for Zetterberg and Franzen and the 10% cap overage allowed in the offseason).

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Only 1 year on a rebuild team? Odd. I guess he just wants to stay in Detroit.

Surprised he just took a 1 year deal.

Howard will be 35 next week. For CBA purposes, 35+ contracts are determined by a player's age not when they sign the deal but how they old they are on June 30th of the summer immediately preceding the season when the contract kicks in. (This little caveat is what sent the Pronger deal to hell.) Therefore, any deal he signed for next year would've been a 35+ contract.

When it comes to these 35-or-older contracts, players can only receive performance bonuses if they sign a one year deal. More than one year? Can't incorporate performance bonuses. Moreover, as most know, they can't be bought out for the sake of cap relief. You can buy out a player to terminate his contract but it won't remove his cap hit.

Because of that, I'm thinking he/his agent anticipated that he'd have a tough time getting a multi-year deal with a fully guaranteed salary from a different team that was for much more than the $5.1M he could potentially make with Detroit. And since he didn't want to leave Detroit, he probably didn't see the point in taking that risk.

A longer deal would make this a 35+ contract. After the Datsyuk situation, I think the team wants to steer clear of any chance of it playing out again.
Who knows how long Howard would want to stick it out through a rebuild?

This is a 35+ contract. The age at signing isn't what matters - it's how old the player is on the June 30th before the year the contract kicks in. Howard will be 35 in a week.

I've never seen a GM as loyal to his players than Kenny Holland!!
Good contract for both parties

If anything, this deal goes against Holland's loyalty obsession. Says more about Howard's loyalty, IMO. Whether ownership forced him to or he finally came to his senses on his own, he started changing his ways around the 2017 trade deadline (although the real kicker was the Tatar trade). If it were a true Holland-style contract, then Howard would either be a (barely) walking corpse a la Dan Cleary or this deal would be 3x longer.

I said this was bad? Where?

I said it's a testament to not having anything close in the system if they're going to resort on annual deals with Howard for the foreseeable future

Detroit signing a known commodity to a no-risk one-year deal isn't a testament to anything other than the modest expectations in place for the team next season.

35 yrs old with above 3.x GAA and below average Save %,

Good is relative

Howard has been at or above a .920 save percentage for the majority of the season. But you're right - good is relative, and what Howard has done this year is very good relative to the team he plays behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->