Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Wings re-sign Jimmy Howard (1 year, $4M AAV + $1.1M in performance bonuses)

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Last edited by a moderator:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
nice

do they have a guy who looks to be the future goalie in the system yet? i know theyve drafted quite a few goalies the kast few years

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
nice

do they have a guy who looks to be the future goalie in the system yet? i know theyve drafted quite a few goalies the kast few years

If they can somehow get another mid 1st they should draft Knight as their future #1G. I'd assume they want a D with their own pick depending on where it lands

Reactions: 780il

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
nice

No, which is exactly why they said they weren't trading Jimmy for anything short of an overpay.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Detroit's goalie pipeline is either virtually garbage or they don't have a guy even remotely close to NHL action if they are going to keep doing annual deals with Howard

Christien

May 1, 2010
Detroit's goalie pipeline is either virtually garbage or they don't have a guy even remotely close to NHL action if they are going to keep doing annual deals with Howard
Pretty much. Like some other posters have said we have a really promising prospect in Larsson, but he's still not that close.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Yeah that all star bum he is and all lol. And yes we have a few goalies in the pipe line.

I mean if you really think Howard is an all star caliber goalie you can think that. He's not terrible but he's been inconsistent at best the last 5-6 years with a strong year last year. He's also turning 35 next week so yeah, forgive me for not thinking this is the same Jimmy Howard pre 2013

Reactions: Bleedred

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Might as well re-sign Howard for a year or two. Not like there's much in the pipeline or free agent market to replace him.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I mean if you really think Howard is an all star caliber goalie you can think that. He's not terrible but he's been inconsistent at best the last 5-6 years with a strong year last year. He's also turning 35 next week so yeah, forgive me for not thinking this is the same Jimmy Howard pre 2013
We still need a starting goaltender, and he’s a functional starter. The wings shouldn’t be going after Bob or handing the job over to Bernier, and those are the only real options for next year.

Reactions: LazyT

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

I'll forgive you for being ignorant enough to not see how a goalie with solid numbers behind Detroit's abomination of a defense is actually pretty damn good.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I'll forgive you for being ignorant enough to not see how a goalie with solid numbers behind Detroit's abomination of a defense is actually pretty damn good.

Eh, I was expecting this response and while I don't disagree with you from a personnel perspective, I'm not a big fan of blashill either and don't think he runs a great system on the defensive side

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
You do know his numbers this year right? with this team right? and we agree on Blash.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
One of the more quietly great seasons for a goalie this year.

What's Petruzzelli looking like? Remember him having had some hype around him once.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Bad for him. He should seek out a 2-3 year deal at least - in detroit or elsewhere

Give him a bit more security that way.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
nice

do they have a guy who looks to be the future goalie in the system yet? i know they've drafted quite a few goalies the kast few years

We don't have any really exciting goalies in the pipeline currently. One of the big reasons we are keeping Jimmy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad