GDT: Det. vs. Dal. (Stars CEO calls Benn&Seguin "F**king HorseSh*t"

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
the game could be really intense tomorrow...

Dallas Stars CEO Unloads on Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn in NSFW Tirade

Dallas Stars CEO Unloads on Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn in NSFW Tirade

By Mark Powell 29 Dec 2018

It's been a tough stretch of late for the Dallas Stars, which are 4-6 in their last ten games and suddenly sit in the middle of the pack in the Central Division. But does that warrant this reaction by CEO Jim Lites? Well, that depends on your view of things.
We're going to go with a hell no.

Dallas Stars CEO takes a heaping dump on his team's most prominent players: https://t.co/KpP8pmD189 pic.twitter.com/Mnqbkbrn4Z
— Deadspin (@Deadspin) December 28, 2018
“They are f***ing horse-s**t, I don’t know how else to put it,” Lites told The Athletic. “The team was ok. But Seguin and Benn were terrible.”
This is just the beginning, and there were many other ways to put it sir. Surprisingly enough, the Stars are actually coming off a win against the Nashville Predators on Thursday night. Despite this, Lites took aim at Tyler Seguin specifically.

“He’s hitting posts, ‘wah-wah.’ That’s what I say about hitting posts,” Lites said. “Get a little bit closer to the action, actually go to the spot where you score goals. He doesn’t do that, he never does that anymore. He used to be a pest to play against, people hated playing against Tyler Seguin, they don’t anymore.”
Dallas Stars CEO is sick and tired of his star players https://t.co/1VoiaQYgMp
— New York Post Sports (@nypostsports) December 29, 2018
When asked about the potential response to his comments, Lites didn't seem to care stating he "doesn't give a f***". We can't make this stuff up.
God forbid they were the Ottawa Senators.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Benn and Seguin should both be PPG players every year, Benn has definitely been a disappointment, production wise, the past couple seasons.

With that said, they're going to completely destroy us tomorrow.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Benn and Seguin should both be PPG players every year, Benn has definitely been a disappointment, production wise, the past couple seasons.

With that said, they're going to completely destroy us tomorrow.

Imo, only thing what is missing, is their PP scoring at this season.

At 5-on-5, they have been 61%-65% in GF%, those are league-best numbers. Seguin is 4th best after N.Bäcström/Crosby/SKinner on that data. Benn is 14th best. Benn goes higher if you look on the 1,5 season data. Those GF% numbers are Boston 1st line level numbers, nothing but great. They are as good also in corsi, this is not any kind fluke.

For past 1,5 seasons, they have played more defensive hockey, also with better goaltending. That leads to less production. They are protecting leads more now, than on the pre-Hitchcock era, where Lehtonen/Niemi were letting every second shot in. They had to go offence like mad, and games were ending 7-6 like that one crazy game against the Wings.

Funny how bad goaltending can lead to great looking production, but worse hockey. Now Bishop helps them and they protect leads = more winning hockey and less production. Only total idiot can blame them when they playing better hockey.

For example, Benn+Seguin combined are +17 on-ice at this season. Either Benn/Seguin only, the team is -2. Rest of the team without them is -14.

As a comparison, in Tampa, Kucherov and Stamkos are +9 counted in same way. Rest of the team in Tampa is +12. They also thriwe on power-play.

5-on-5, Dallas in general is +1, when Tampa is +21.

So with that data, Benn and Seguin are doing better (excluding the power-play) than Kucherov+Stamkos in Tampa, but the real difference is team depth.

Biggest problem in Dallas PP has been, imo, Klingberg's injury. Not Benn or Seguin.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
This really makes the Stars organization look bad. If I'm an upcoming UFA and I see Stars management throwing its star players under the bus like this, I have no desire to sign with them. Management may be dead on, but you just don't do this because there will be ramifications down the road.

I see this turning into a you know what show.

Reactions: Oddbob and Winger98

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Never been much of a fan of either player, to be honest. I'm not surprised to hear these comments come out. Sources always said Benn was a tool.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Horse**** show?

upload_2018-12-29_1-29-16.png

Reactions: Reddwit

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Never been much of a fan of either player, to be honest. I'm not surprised to hear these comments come out. Sources always said Benn was a tool.

I havent liked him since his cheap shot on Z.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
After reading the article, Lites sought out the reporters to give the interview. Most likely at the behest of the owner. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
After reading the article, Lites sought out the reporters to give the interview. Most likely at the behest of the owner. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

To each their own but if I am Seguin or Benn I walk in that guys office and say hey thanks for the guaranteed contract, here is the list of teams I am willing to play for as both guys have NMC. I suggest you move me. Why would I play harder for someone that did that, why would I play for them at all? I mean I guess I do it not to be in violation of contract but I make clear I am not going to Stars media events or anything else, the owner and CEO have no reason to have gone that hard in the paint, I am done with them if I am these guys. They have the power to force their way out in my opinion.

I think we get to the first big glimpse. Do they light it up tonight or basically extend the finger to the organization. Given Seguin's history he might have a very indifferent performance. I actually think both guys are superstars, I wouldn't mind if Kenny called on Seguin, he is young enough to be important when we get good but I don't think we have near the parts.

I just found what happened yesterday was over the top. That it basically came from the ownership level would have me pretty uninspired if I was Seguin and Benn. I am a hired gun that you don't care about so why would I help that lot..... Not sure how they expect buy-in by shaming the guys.

Last edited:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
^^ P.S. you are right on that the interview in question is way over the line.

It will create a little bad blood here. This message should have been done privately to the players.
I can say this.... Dallas fans can be prepared for everyone to start making "Horse$#it" proposals on HF Boards for the next 1 Month ;)

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I agree with lites. They're not producing lio they should be. Benn has been playing really lazy hockey from the comments I've seen. I mean the league is super high scoring right now and they're not even close to a ppg. They should be way above a ppg right now considering that Benn Seguin and radulov all play together. They're a one like team and their one line is performing at 50%.

Dylan Larkin playing with abdelkader is outscoring these dudes

Reactions: Hughes Hefner

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
To each there own but if I am Seguin or Benn I walk in that guys office and say hey thanks for the guaranteed contract, here is the list of teams I am willing to play for as both guys have NMC. I suggest you move me. Why would I play harder for someone that did that, why would I play for them at all? I mean I guess I do it not to be in violation of contract but I make clear I am not going to Stars media events or anything else, the owner and CEO have no reason to have gone that hard in the paint, I am done with them if I am these guys. They have the power to force their way out in my opinion.

I think we get to the first big glimpse. Do they light it up tonight or basically extend the finger to the organization. Given Seguin's history he might have a very indifferent performance. I actually think both guys are superstars, I wouldn't mind if Kenny called on Seguin, he is young enough to be important when we get good but I don't think we have near the parts.

I just found what happened yesterday was over the top. That it basically came from the ownership level would have me pretty uninspired if I was Seguin and Benn. I am a hired gun that you don't care about so why would I help that lot..... Not sure how they expect buy-in by shaming the guys.

And Lites would probably turn around and tell them to take their trade list and shove it. They make way too much to return a good package without taking on a cap dump or retaining salary, which I'm guessing is what this is all about. The ink is barely dry on Seguin's near-$10M per year deal and he's giving me a 65 point season when he has great linemates in a high-scoring season? Lites was surely hearing all about how important and elite Seguin was from his agent for the preceding months during negotiations and yet Seguin is mailing it in before the contract is even in effect?

I'll admit this is unconventional and could surely backfire on him but it also could've easily been an issue going on behind the scenes that has come to a head. And to be honest, I kind of appreciate hearing this. This organization paid heavily for these assets and they're getting a shit return on their investment without any major reason why. NHL brass typically tip toes around performance issues when it comes to star players and too much of that is enabling. I wouldn't mind if public criticism, where warranted, came from front offices more often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->