GDT: DET @ TOR| 7:00pm EST | 3/24/18 | FS-D

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
What's etched into my memory of last night is how sick 3 of Totonto's goals were. Bozak's fake with a loose puck, right through AA's skates to a wide open Kapanen. The Marleau backhand sauce over Witkowski was astounding. Last of all that drag by Matthews back to Nylander, I mean those are the types of plays you dream of watching NHL.

We've seen a touch of that skill from the Wings this season but it's far in between. The Leafs may never win a cup with this core but man are they fun to watch. I'm actually glad the Wings are almost done and I can get back focused on the 2 months of exceptional hockey coming up.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Crawford was, yea. But the way the media talks about them it seems like they are on the downswing, I can't say I pay any attention to them but I do have a buddy from Chicago I can talk to about it. Just seems the general consensus is that they're on their way down, could be wrong.

To expand on the previous post, as much as we all want to sit here and watch them win all the time, that doesn't happen. Or say management hasn't done X or Y. We can sit here and hoot and holler about all the bad contracts Holland has thrown out (which he absolutely has) but any Stanley Cup team is built through the draft now (as is common knowledge) and that's a luxury the Red Wings haven't had for a long time. Show me a GM and scouting staff that can build a Stanley Cup team through late 1st round draft picks and I'll show you a road without a pothole in Michigan

*edit* The highly humorous, and ironic, thing about all of this is that Holland has set the team up for future success through all the crap contracts
Well they're certainly not on an upswing. Keith is getting pretty old. Seabrooks too. Kane/Toews are still okay but they lost Hossa, Panarin. But overall I think there's still at least a bubble team there. Especially if they weren't in the damn murderbowl that is Central.

I've never blamed Holland for the Wings becoming not competitive, and I think few other people do. It's always been the refusal to accept that the Wings aren't competitive anymore and to start on a rebuild instead of trying to prolong a delusional concept of a "cup window" that doesn't exist. I know how hard it is to fine elite players anywhere outside the top3. Trust me. I've seen the data. Anyone that's a tank advocate knows that it's hard. That's why we say we need to tank. Because outside of a top pick the odds of finding the star players you need to compete are miniscule, single digits percentage chances.

That was Holland's problem. Not failing to find late round gems. I've said that time and again in these threads. But definitely we have a problem with defensemen. We haven't drafted a single even solid middle pairing d-man since Kronwall. Many of them are barely passable bottom pairing guys.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Seems a lot of people are already getting upset after two losing seasons. Curious to see what the sentiment is like after five or more. I don't believe team this has any shot at competing for another five years minimum. Better get comfy.

The "rebuild" of this team has only just begun. You can't go from perennial playoff team to a basement dweller in one off season. There will be plenty of upcoming seasons where this team is at the bottom of the league. I don't know why everyone is in such a hurry around here. Kick back and enjoy a decade of losing hockey.

No one cares what Leafs fans think.

I doesn't need to be a decade. I can see Detroit being on the upswing in 14 months.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
That's... not being much of a fan. That's like proclaiming yourself a huge Led Zeppelin fan and only being able to say you like the guy with the hair. Fan is short for fanatic. You're describing people who just find hockey kind of neat.

Yet my fandom single-handedly won them 4 championships. You're welcome.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Step 1 : Dahlin
Step 2: Jack Hughes
Step 3: $$$

Dahlin would be huge.
Let's say we come away with this draft:
1- Dahlin
1 (Vegas) Martin Kaut RW
2 (Det) Ty Dellandrea C
2 (Ott) Rasmus Sandin D

Let's say all 4 guys pan out
Dahlin comes over and looks as good as Ekblad does as a rookie.
Kaut turns into Pastrnak-lite within 2-3 years.
Dellandrea becomes our Brayden Point with 3 years.
Sandin becomes Dahlin's Stralman within 3-4 years.

Let's keep up the pollyannish optimism.
Hronek turns into a top 4D.
Cholo turns into a top 4D.
Rasmussen hulking 2C and netfront guy.

If you can land Tavres this year in the offseason and one of the big 3 defensemen available next year, you're golden.

By the start of 2019-20

Bertuzzi Tavares Mantha
Rasmussen Larkin Athanasiou
Abdelkader Dellandrea Svechnikov
Glendening Turgeon (whoever)

Dahlin Dougthy
Dekeyser Hronek
Cholowski Daley

Goalie????

That's a pipe dream.
But that doesn't even include two of other picks from the top 40 this year, nor does it include picks from next year.

Does that team win? No. But it probably competes for the playoffs and it sure turns the ship around.
And we'd still have a lot of prospects
Sandin, Kaut, Lindstrom Kotkansalo, anyone else drafted in 18 or 19.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->