Tampa Bay
Training camp is gonna be a blood bath for the bottom forward spots

The forwards are pretty self-explanatory

In no order your starting 10 are

Palat-Point-Kucherov
Johnson-Stamkos-Gourde
Joseph-Cirelli-Killorn
Paquette

Honest to God if Masin doesn't have a strong showing I think we trade him. I just can't see how he's going to better the main 8 guys we already have on defense unless he has a great camp. I'm on record that we just need to roll with 7 all season (Hedman, Shattenkirk, McDonagh, Cernak, Coburn, Sergachev and Schenn) and keep the extras at forward over Rutta. If we lose Rutta to waivers then it is what it is. We basically got him for nothing. I'd rather be able to call Cal Foote up and down from Syracuse as needed without any consequences due to waiver exemption instead of taking up a roster spot for a poor player but we're not wanting to lose him for free. There's a small chance Foote is actually better than Rutta now and there's no harm in him getting his coffee while he gets his development in the AHL. It just feels like better asset management to me when the extra forward who needs NHL playing time is actually going to get it.

But if we keep 8 defensemen that leaves 3 more spots at forward and it's possible 2 are already penciled in by Verhaeghe and Martel because they're not waiver exempt. That just sucks... If it really does shake up that way then it only makes me want 7 defenders more so there's 2 more spots for any of ABB, Katchouk and Raddysh and Volkov. And God knows Volkov hasn't had any chance at all yet.

I know it's early to be making calls like this but I want to see that the departure of Erne is gonna mean a fresh start for someone new rather than the continuation of a gluttony of defensemen we might not even need -looking at you Rutta.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Palat-Point-Kucherov
Johnson-Stamkos-Gourde
Joseph-Cirelli-Killorn
Paquette

Honest to God if Masin doesn't have a strong showing I think we trade him. I just can't see how he's going to better the main 8 guys we already have on defense unless he has a great camp. I'm on record that we just need to roll with 7 all season (Hedman, Shattenkirk, McDonagh, Cernak, Coburn, Sergachev and Schenn) and keep the extras at forward over Rutta. If we lose Rutta to waivers then it is what it is. We basically got him for nothing. I'd rather be able to call Cal Foote up and down from Syracuse as needed without any consequences due to waiver exemption instead of taking up a roster spot for a poor player but we're not wanting to lose him for free. There's a small chance Foote is actually better than Rutta now and there's no harm in him getting his coffee while he gets his development in the AHL. It just feels like better asset management to me when the extra forward who needs NHL playing time is actually going to get it.

But if we keep 8 defensemen that leaves 3 more spots at forward and it's possible 2 are already penciled in by Verhaeghe and Martel because they're not waiver exempt. That just sucks... If it really does shake up that way then it only makes me want 7 defenders more so there's 2 more spots for any of ABB, Katchouk and Raddysh and Volkov. And God knows Volkov hasn't had any chance at all yet.

I know it's early to be making calls like this but I want to see that the departure of Erne is gonna mean a fresh start for someone new rather than the continuation of a gluttony of defensemen we might not even need -looking at you Rutta.

We didn't expect to sign shattenkirk so there has to be one defenseman who was going to make the team on the out's now and maybe it's rutta.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
hey guys trying to map out rosters.

I'm going with a Witkowski-Paquette-Martel 4th line to start the year for you guys but wondering who is the favorite for the #13F slot, or if any other guys have a better chance at cracking that 4th line to start?
Volkov seems like the obvious Erne replacement on the 4th line left wing. He has size (kind of) and performed well in Syracuse last season.
Martel would fit too and would have to pass through waivers if he can't impress in camp.
Katchouk would benefit from another season in the AHL in my opinion.

As for 4th line right wing: Witkowski can play there and provides some sandpaper which we might need.
With the acquisitions of Shattenkirk and Schenn in addition to Cernak, Sergachev, Rutta I don't see an opening for him on defense.
Raddysh had a solid season in Syracuse last season and just like Volkov and Witko provides some size so he might get a closer look.

The center position is pretty much locked with Stamkos, Point (who could play 1C), Cirelli (who could play 2C) and Paquette down the middle.
Therefore bottom-6 winger wild cards to me are centers Barré-Boulet, who had an awesome season, Verhaeghe, who had an even better season offensively than ABB but is older and Stephens, who missed parts of last season due to injuries.

Smith and Mueller likely stay in Syracuse.

Cooper is also not shy of using a 11F/7D lineup and with the abundance of defensemen under contract you never know.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm positive about this move and I don't agree about the concerns that we have lost size. We lost size when Purcell left, we lost size when Sustr left...cause they were big players, but they couldn't use their size. While Erne was slightly better in that regard he wasn't contributing with a physical game on a game by game basis, that is why he is no longer here, since there was little else he could bring to the table.

Going into the camp, knowing there is a roster spot open will be a huge motivation for a number of guys and to get some fresh blood will just do as good!

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Erne fancied himself a much better scorer than what reality said he was. He was a bottom 6 forward and just did not play a physical enough game to warrant a long term committment when better options existed with prospects graduating from Syracuse! He is by all accounts a good guy and I wish him well but it was time for him to move on.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Erne fancied himself a much better scorer than what reality said he was. He was a bottom 6 forward and just did not play a physical enough game to warrant a long term committment when better options existed with prospects graduating from Syracuse! He is by all accounts a good guy and I wish him well but it was time for him to move on.
Yeah a fresh start on a team with less competition will do him good. He might even get the occasional top-6 and 2PP shift over there.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm positive about this move and I don't agree about the concerns that we have lost size. We lost size when Purcell left, we lost size when Sustr left...cause they were big players, but they couldn't use their size. While Erne was slightly better in that regard he wasn't contributing with a physical game on a game by game basis, that is why he is no longer here, since there was little else he could bring to the table.

Going into the camp, knowing there is a roster spot open will be a huge motivation for a number of guys and to get some fresh blood will just do as good!

Volkov to Erne "I'm about to end this man's Lightning career"

Reactions: Maelmoor

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Volkov seems like the obvious Erne replacement on the 4th line left wing. He has size (kind of) and performed well in Syracuse last season.
Martel would fit too and would have to pass through waivers if he can't impress in camp.
Katchouk would benefit from another season in the AHL in my opinion.

I think we kept Martel specifically to be the 13th/14th forward, so we don't have a prospect on popcorn duty.

As for 4th line right wing: Witkowski can play there and provides some sandpaper which we might need.

Witkowski is only an NHL player on a bottom-feeding team. I see no way he sticks in TB, unless maybe we carry 14 forwards and he and Martel keep the spot warm while our prospects get time in the A.

With the acquisitions of Shattenkirk and Schenn in addition to Cernak, Sergachev, Rutta I don't see an opening for him on defense.

Yeah, depending on how camp plays out, it's not unlikely that either Schenn or Rutta will be put on waivers. Still an outside chance Masin impresses at camp, and, if that happens, I think we'd much prefer to keep him up than either of the other two, rather than risk losing him. Even though Masin has stalled a bit, he's still the younger player, with better upside. It would be a nice surprise. As is, I would expect us to carry 8 D, and Masin may or may not get picked up on waivers.

had a solid season in Syracuse last season and just like Volkov and Witko provides some size so he might get a closer look.

Volkov seems like he has an inside track just based on how impressive he's been in pre-seasons so far in his young career. I think if he impresses again, he's on the team, and probably in a decent role. My guess is Raddysh sees a game or two this year, but, at last year's camp, he looked like he was struggling to keep up with the speed of pre-season games. Couldn't get into his spots.

The center position is pretty much locked with Stamkos, Point (who could play 1C), Cirelli (who could play 2C) and Paquette down the middle.
Therefore bottom-6 winger wild cards to me are centers Barré-Boulet, who had an awesome season, Verhaeghe, who had an even better season offensively than ABB but is older and Stephens, who missed parts of last season due to injuries.

Smith and Mueller likely stay in Syracuse.

Cooper is also not shy of using a 11F/7D lineup and with the abundance of defensemen under contract you never know.

I think Stephens has the inside track on Erne's spot because he's the best suited to be a career 4th liner.

ABB might force his way onto the team as the season goes on, if he takes any step forward whatsoever. I think he'll be the most interesting guy at camp, but I don't see us keeping him in TB unless we have a top-9 role for him.

Verhaughe's interesting because there's no hype to him, and yet he just led the AHL in points. We know Coop has a soft spot for mature rookies, so maybe if Cirelli finds himself in the top-six, Verhaeghe (23) takes over as our 3C?

Plausible?:

Cirelli - Stamkos - Kucherov
Joseph - Point - Johnson
Palat - Verhaeghe - Gourde
Killorn - Paquette - Stephens/Volkov
Martel

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA

Palat-Point-Kucherov
Johnson-Stamkos-Gourde
Joseph-Cirelli-Killorn
Paquette

A HUGE THANK YOU for typing this out so I did not have to!

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
A HUGE THANK YOU for typing this out so I did not have to!

Any time, Squid. I've been mildly concerned about what we are going to do with all these Crunch players since last training camp and not seeing any real clear path for them until a few players moved out. With the departure of Miller and Erne the path to the Lightning is the clearest it's been for some time now because Cirelli and Joseph basically had to put an end to J.T Brown and Chris Kunitz's time here to even get spots of their own.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There was a good chance we were going to see Erne on waivers at camp, this gives him a better shot with another organization and helps us retain some value.

What? The kid is not a waiver candidate at all. If Martel can stay on our roster all year and not be waived then Erne could too. He had good production for his role and minutes and is a bottom 6 player in this league. I don't mind the trade really as we have replacements but I thought we could get a 3rd at least. Getting a 4th is also better than losing Verheaghe to waivers, he now has a spot even if it's just as a 13th forward.

As for who takes his spot I can't see it being Barré-Boulet, he's not a 4th liner and could use a bit more seasoning. It could be Volkov but it seems a waste to have him as on the 4th line getting just 11 minutes a night. It could be Stephens but I would like to see him try to stay healthy for a full year and get top line minutes in Syracuse to see if we can improve his offensive potential. To me it would make the most sense to just run 11/7 since we have an overload of D and then go with a Verheaghe - Paquette 4th line with the occasional Martel game.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
What? The kid is not a waiver candidate at all. If Martel can stay on our roster all year and not be waived then Erne could too. He had good production for his role and minutes and is a bottom 6 player in this league. I don't mind the trade really as we have replacements but I thought we could get a 3rd at least. Getting a 4th is also better than losing Verheaghe to waivers, he now has a spot even if it's just as a 13th forward.

...but you just made my point. Erne is not at all a lock for a starting position, a few other high value pieces also being waiver eligible and the possibility of having a youngster surprise at camp, and Erne was definitely on the bubble.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
...but you just made my point. Erne is not at all a lock for a starting position, a few other high value pieces also being waiver eligible and the possibility of having a youngster surprise at camp, and Erne was definitely on the bubble.

How was Erne not a lock? He was going to be one of the top 11 forwards so he would be playing every night. He is 24 so I can't see him regressing already to not being at least a quality 4th liner. I like Verheaghe and have no problem with him being an Erne replacement, but he is about to be 24 also and hasn't played an NHL game yet. I don't think he was a lock to beat Erne out for a spot. I think he adds more offense to the lineup than Erne while Erne is more physical so our style will chamch between the two. The point though is that Erne wouldn't have been on waivers while there's a chance Verheaghe could still be waived but I would think those chances are slim with our limited forward options.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
How was Erne not a lock? He was going to be one of the top 11 forwards so he would be playing every night. He is 24 so I can't see him regressing already to not being at least a quality 4th liner. I like Verheaghe and have no problem with him being an Erne replacement, but he is about to be 24 also and hasn't played an NHL game yet. I don't think he was a lock to beat Erne out for a spot. I think he adds more offense to the lineup than Erne while Erne is more physical so our style will chamch between the two. The point though is that Erne wouldn't have been on waivers while there's a chance Verheaghe could still be waived but I would think those chances are slim with our limited forward options.

How was he one? Did he stand out as an integral part of the team last year? He's serviceable and young, but certainly not valuable enough to stave off Volkov for a second straight year or force other waiver eligible players like Stephens, Martel, or Verheague off the team if they have stronger camps, or fight off young guys like Raddysh if they blew the coaching staff away. He had an inside track, but was still a possible waiver casualty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->