Confirmed Trade: [DET/TBL] Adam Erne for 2020 4th, signs extension (1 year, $1.05M)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Good little deal all-around. I think some are a bit effusive in thinking Erne has some sort of untapped upside (likely based on him being a fairly high draft pick a whopping 6 years ago) - at this point I think he is who he is and any slight increase in production in Detroit will simply be due to the availability of ice time. Then again, a 4th round pick ain't much so Yzerman gets a young-ish, cheap bottom 6 guy he trusts and Tampa clears a bit of space - plus Tampa has been killing it in the AHL and has lots of simply better or more talented wingers on the cusp of NHL action like Verhaeghe, Volkov and Barre-Boulet.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Wow that cheap. And to think Tampa couldn't afford that.
? Not sure if sarcasm. We just can't continue to give a guy who hasn't managed 30 points in a professional league in a season 6 calendar years after being drafted. We've got guys from the 2015 and 2016 draft who are likely pro ready and just they're sitting there because we don't have room on our team

Zeke and luther

Aug 14, 2019
? Not sure if sarcasm. We just can't continue to give a guy who hasn't managed 30 points in a professional league in a season 6 calendar years after being drafted. We've got guys from the 2015 and 2016 draft who are likely pro ready and just they're sitting there because we don't have room on our team
It's only 1 million dollars. The dude that replaces erne will have a cap hit of slightly less than that.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's only 1 million dollars. The dude that replaces erne will have a cap hit of slightly less than that.
And if Anthony Cirelli and Mathieu Joseph have taught us anything it's there's a chance they might be better too. We aren't worried about what we can't afford we're worried about how the hell we can fit all these new players on the team. Barre-Boulet, Katchouk, Raddysh, Stephens and Volkov are dying to get on the Lightning

We are at the contract limit anyway and moving Erne facilitates getting Point signed

Zeke and luther

Aug 14, 2019
And if Anthony Cirelli and Mathieu Joseph have taught us anything it's there's a chance they might be better too. We aren't worried about what we can't afford we're worried about how the hell we can fit all these new players on the team. Barre-Boulet, Katchouk, Raddysh, Stephens and Volkov are dying to get on the Lightning

We are at the contract limit anyway and moving Erne facilitates getting Point signed
Not all of these players will make the lightning and moving erne doesn't facilitate anything.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Not all of these players will make the lightning and moving erne doesn't facilitate anything.

The hell??? It not only opens up the roster spot Erne was occupying but now allows us to sign Point without going over our contract limit. What does it matter if not all the players make it? We didn't have a spot but for 1 of them and now with Erne gone it's at least 2 now.

We literally just got a 4th to sign Point and promote an NHL ready prospect at the expense of one of our 4th liners

What did we not facilitate?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I would think Erne leaving has to help Katchouk and Raddysh the most, currently you don't have a forward above 200 lbs on your roster. While size isn't everything I am a little surprised this is the takeaway after the physical pounding Columbus just dished out on them.

We will see, as a Wings fan this is a pretty low risk move. Forces the kids in contention to really earn a spot and Erne should slot in on the third line and get more opportunity with us given the difference in talent. I was high on him in his draft year, he hasn't developed as fast as you would have hoped, but a 4th isn't much, just wish he was a right handed shot. I am starting to seriously wonder if Yzerman is getting ready to demote some vets to the AHL when you look at our roster at this point. Erne fits the heavier identity we are building for the most part, not necessarily with the foot speed of most of our guys. I hope he hits the ground running on the third line, decent chance he is playing with Zadina and Nielsen now.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I think it has more to do with fulfilling both Tb and Ernes need. Tb needs all the cap space they can get. Also have had guys knocking on the door. Erne wanted a bigger role and opportunity to play more minutes. He just didn’t have that here. Deal makes sense but I would have wanted a bit more than a 4th but I think it’s a good move for Detroit because he has upside.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Good little deal all-around. I think some are a bit effusive in thinking Erne has some sort of untapped upside (likely based on him being a fairly high draft pick a whopping 6 years ago) - at this point I think he is who he is and any slight increase in production in Detroit will simply be due to the availability of ice time. Then again, a 4th round pick ain't much so Yzerman gets a young-ish, cheap bottom 6 guy he trusts and Tampa clears a bit of space - plus Tampa has been killing it in the AHL and has lots of simply better or more talented wingers on the cusp of NHL action like Verhaeghe, Volkov and Barre-Boulet.

This is pretty much on point. For anyone not familiar with the trade this nails it. Great post.

All the other stuff is jibber jabber. Erne is nothing more than a 4th liner.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I would think Erne leaving has to help Katchouk and Raddysh the most, currently you don't have a forward above 200 lbs on your roster. While size isn't everything I am a little surprised this is the takeaway after the physical pounding Columbus just dished out on them.

We will see, as a Wings fan this is a pretty low risk move. Forces the kids in contention to really earn a spot and Erne should slot in on the third line and get more opportunity with us given the difference in talent. I was high on him in his draft year, he hasn't developed as fast as you would have hoped, but a 4th isn't much, just wish he was a right handed shot. I am starting to seriously wonder if Yzerman is getting ready to demote some vets to the AHL when you look at our roster at this point. Erne fits the heavier identity we are building for the most part, not necessarily with the foot speed of most of our guys. I hope he hits the ground running on the third line, decent chance he is playing with Zadina and Nielsen now.

There is always a plan with Yzerman. Just don't ever expect to know or guess what it is. The lack of size in the Lightning lineup is worrying though but at the same time I'm happy for Erne because he's going to get a better role in Detroit than he ever could have gotten in Tampa. I've always been the kind of person who would be bummed out by a trade but were I in Erne's position I'd be over it quickly and thrilled by now. I think you're on to something about vets going to the AHL because only really now have the Wings fully committed to rebuilding. Erne is the kind of guy you can start with. He's gonna do well there. Sesame Street jokes aside he will complement Bert well. The Wings just need the high end guys. They can be drafted. I don't expect the Wings to make the playoffs but these aren't gonna be "the bad years" for you guys regardless of what's on the ice. It's only bad when you suck and there's no excuse for it and there's no clear plan by the front office of what direction to go in. The Wings have a plan...

The hockey might be lousy at times but trust me these are the easy days. You just let the magic happen in the off-season and watch the games stress free and focus on enjoying watching your players grow up. You guys know better than anyone that with Yzerman success is inevitable

A 5-0 ass beating where you can't find a single good thing about it is just a night watching hockey when you know there's a purpose. Those nights never bothered me. It's the playoff losses that keep me up at night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->