Trade: [DET/PHI] Darius Slay for 3rd & 5th. Gets new 3-year deal

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
good. not the best return but he didn't come off as a locker room type guy. great player through.

Trufant and hopefully we draft Okudah.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I'm ok with Slay being gone, but wow, with that little of a return, Quinn really has no clue what he's doing, ever. How is he still employed? Oh wait, it's the Lions.. :facepalm:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I was hoping the Lions got more for him but I'm glad they traded him instead of giving him that extension.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
good. not the best return but he didn't come off as a locker room type guy. great player through.

Slay is 29. Only a certain return can be expected based on a players age. CB is a position where age matters.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I would have thought the Lions could have gotten a first rounder for him but oh well, SOL (Same Old Lions) :thumbd:.

Zero chance he'd get a 1st. He fell off hard last year, had only 1 year left on his deal and is nearing 30 years old.
It's not a good return but about standard. They should have traded him at the deadline, probably could have gotten a 2nd+ at that time.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
An upgrade on what they have to be sure. Not sure if he's still an elite number 1 corner but at the very least should give them a year or two of high level play.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
The trade value of NFL players continues to leave me puzzled.

1. You can find great players in the first three rounds and good players thereafter.
2. The contracts aren’t guaranteed. Why give up much if you know they’ll be forced to cut them?

Draft picks are valuable. Disgruntled players are not. It doesn’t matter that he’s a top player, the Lions have no leverage.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014

He was a locker room guy under Jim Caldwell. Beloved by teammates and fans alike. He and Quandre Diggs both.

Diggs gets traded for peanuts and becomes an impact player in Seattle immediately. Slay will do the same with a competent coach in Doug Pederson in Philly.

It wasn't until Matt Patricia and his brand of incompetence and toxicity came along that Slay, and countless other Lions started having issues with the coaching.

It seems like Matt Patricia follows the Mike Babcock method of being an a-hole first and a coach second.

Now, I'm glad the Lions didn't sign him to the deal he got in Philly, I don't think he's worth that and he won't be the same elite CB during the bottom half of that contract. But I will miss Darius Slay. Can't wait until Patricia and Quinn are fired after another dud of a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad