Confirmed Trade: [DET/NYI] Dmytro Timashov for future considerations

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm confused. So just call up Stevey Y for free assets now or??
Detroit did pick Timashov up on waivers for free and if they weren’t resigning him then this is a chance to get something for him. He’s 24 and the odds any GM ponying up assets for his rights if he goes off to the KHL or SHL next season is nonexistent.

They have a lot of draft picks they probably want spots in their 50.

Plus it's good will towards players they dont need but might be useful somewhere else
Yeah, Detroit has 45 contracts already and a lot young prospects. The Isles only have 40 and if they sign Timashov to a 1 way deal, resign Martin and bury Ladd I guess that gives them 14 forwards. (I’m not going to try to make sense of their cap situation.)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Timashov is Ukrainian and Swedish. He's also played in North America for the past 5 years so I don't see why he would leave if he has a chance at a roster spot. Has he been playing in the KHL this season?
No and I’m guessing people were going by his name when suggesting the KHL. He could end up in the KHL since that’s where he could potentially make the most money but he since he was drafted out of Sweden and played there SHL seems just as likely a place if things don’t work out in the NHL.

Lou is presumably going to try and sign him though.

Reactions: Ciao and grapes55

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
When you say "built for" are you referring to his size? He's not a big guy, but he's built very comparably to Cizikas and is bigger than Pageau, and those are the two best players in the Isles' bottom 6. If you mean his style, his biggest plus is generally considered to be that he is a hard worker, so that seems like it'll fit into a Trotz bottom 6 as well.

Both size and style. He works hard, he'll forecheck and throw hits, but he's not a good defensive player.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Both size and style. He works hard, he'll forecheck and throw hits, but he's not a good defensive player.
Fair that he hasn't shown a lot defensively so far, but he's also only played in Toronto and Detroit so far, neither of which play particularly effective defensive systems, so it's hard to say how relevant that is to how his defensive game under Trotz will look. With Lou likely being familiar with him as a Marlie while he was GM in Toronto, I have to feel he wouldn't be bothering here if he didn't think Timashov could execute Trotz' system, and that's what is really important -- for example, Martin was never very good defensively either, but he can execute the Trotz' system so has been good defensively within it.

But I do agree that his ability to play a defensive game will be the biggest factor as to whether he can hold down a spot in the bottom 6 or not. I just don't tend to think of defensive acumen when I think of what a player is built for and was a little confused by the phrasing, so thanks for clarifying for me.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
Fair that he hasn't shown a lot defensively so far, but he's also only played in Toronto and Detroit so far, neither of which play particularly effective defensive systems, so it's hard to say how relevant that is to how his defensive game under Trotz will look. With Lou likely being familiar with him as a Marlie while he was GM in Toronto, I have to feel he wouldn't be bothering here if he didn't think Timashov could execute Trotz' system, and that's what is really important -- for example, Martin was never very good defensively either, but he can execute the Trotz' system so has been good defensively within it.

But I do agree that his ability to play a defensive game will be the biggest factor as to whether he can hold down a spot in the bottom 6 or not. I just don't tend to think of defensive acumen when I think of what a player is built for and was a little confused by the phrasing, so thanks for clarifying for me.
I dont want to doubt Trotz's power to turn nobodies into bottom 6 fixtures, but Timashov was pretty mediocre defensively even at the AHL level. His lack of straight line speed really hurts him on small ice

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I dont want to doubt Trotz's power to turn nobodies into bottom 6 fixtures, but Timashov was pretty mediocre defensively even at the AHL level. His lack of straight line speed really hurts him on small ice
Fair enough, and thanks for the insight. I haven't seen a lot of him, and haven't seen him at all in the AHL, so I do appreciate hearing from someone who has. Guess Trotz has his work cut out for him, but he was able to make Dal Colle look like a passable defensive player at the NHL level despite being nothing special in that regard in the AHL either, so we will see. And fortunately, lack of straight line speed is one of the things that Trotz' system is the best at covering for -- Matt Martin being a good example here again. But it's probably a good idea to temper my optimism in that regard.

Last edited:

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
First trade in almost 2 full months. The last one was Schmidt for a 3rd rounder.

All the GMs in the league saw that Schmidt deal and were like "What now!? Nobody move a muscle! Don't make any trades. I can't be the next guy to blow it that bad!"

That trade literally broke the market, in my opinion. There's teams clearly over the cap, and they have been silent for months. It's insane.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
It's too bad, I loved him in Toronto, and was pissed when we waived him. Hopefully he gets some minutes in New York

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad