GDT: DET @ LAK | 10:00pm EST | 3/15/2018

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The Islanders literally offered every pick in the draft they had to Columbus for the #2 pick the year Ryan Murray was taken, and it was declined.

This type of stuff just doesn't happen. No one will trade the #1 pick this year.

Islanders' all-in trade offer to Jackets makes sense | Hockey | CBC Sports

Ouch.
Boy, that would suck.

Then again, they would have traded:
Reinhart, Pelech and five guys who've never played for Yak or Murray.

They still probably win that deal, I guess.

I agree it wouldn't happen. I'm just saying I'd do it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We've got depth players.
We don't have elite players.

Let me ask you a question.

Dahlin for everyone in last year's draft, plus our best late round first (24 and beyond), our best early second 30-38 in the last 8 years
Dahlin for
---------------
Rasmussen
Lindstrom
Kotkansalo
Zablocki
Gallant
Petruzzli
Setkov
Fraser
Adams
Webb
Gilmour
+++
Cholowski (20th - close enough)'
and Givani Smith.
-------

It's a preposterous offer, obviously.

But I'd take that offer easily. Without any heartburn.

Losing Rasmussen and Cholo could hurt. But IMO, even they turn into good players, I highly doubt they're going to be big-time impact guys.
So, in the end, they're replaceable.

You can't replace a Dahlin very easily.
Look at Detroit's efforts to replace Lidstrom.
Or Datsyuk.
'18 draft is supposed to be stronger than '17. We also have more picks in the top 40 now, and our 1st is likely to be higher than 9th (again, in a stronger draft).

Easy to fall in love with Dahlin but it might also be worth keeping in mind that there aren't a whole lot of examples of #1OA drafted D that have lived up to hype. Even expanding to top 3 drafted D there's a ton of guys that haven't quite lived up to promise.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Easy to fall in love with Dahlin but it might also be worth keeping in mind that there aren't a whole lot of examples of #1OA drafted D that have lived up to hype.

There have been, what, 2 drafted in the lasted 20 years? That's less than meaningless.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
'18 draft is supposed to be stronger than '17. We also have more picks in the top 40 now, and our 1st is likely to be higher than 9th (again, in a stronger draft).

Easy to fall in love with Dahlin but it might also be worth keeping in mind that there aren't a whole lot of examples of #1OA drafted D that have lived up to hype. Even expanding to top 3 drafted D there's a ton of guys that haven't quite lived up to promise.

Everyone's been saying the 18 draft is supposed to be stronger, but I don't see it.
In fact, I'm reading more and more people saying the opposite.

As for #1s who haven't lived up to their hype -- there haven't been many wire-to-wire, undisputed #1s who've flopped.

Here are the undisputed #1s I remember:
Matthews
McDvaid
Tavares
Stamkos
Crosby
Ovechkin
Lecavalier
Lindros
Lemieux

Before that really goes before my time.
Maybe there were some other undisputed #1s.
Alexandre Daigle, for example... but If I remember right, a lot of people had Pronger and Kariya at the top.

Yakupov was a contested pick, more recently.

Anyway, I've seen Dahlin in person and it took all of 2 shifts for him to show why he's a potential franchise D.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
As long as we don't **** it up - Rasmussen-over-Vilardi style.

Honestly, at the moment, I'm not feeling so hot about a lot of the guys listed 2 through 10.

If we were the 2nd overall pick, I would gladly trade every draft pick we have for the first overall pick.
While getting Dahlin would be sweet and a game changer, There's no way you can tell me that getting either Svechnikov or Zadina wouldn't help. There's good players from 1-10 in the first round. While yes Dahlin would be nice so would adding either Svechnikov or Zadina.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
While getting Dahlin would be sweet and a game changer, There's no way you can tell me that getting either Svechnikov or Zadina wouldn't help. There's good players from 1-10 in the first round. While yes Dahlin would be nice so would adding either Svechnikov or Zadina.

Sure, but I'll take a franchise D over a scoring winger everyday of the week.

Franchise defensemen are rare.

I judge assets by how hard they are to replace,

Unless you draft a franchise defenseman, how would you get one?
Same thing with a center. (there tend to be more franchise centers, but still, they're hard to attain.).

I guess I'm less sold on the idea of Franchise wingers (Kane/Ovechkin maybe Kucherov or Laine). And even if there are franchise wingers, I'm not sold that Zadina and Svechnikov are that caliber.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Well same here but being the devils advocate here, If we wind up either at #2 or #3 i wont cry about it. Yes getting the #1 overall pick would be awesome but so would #2 or #3 as well any thing after that not so much.

So if you draft 2nd, who do you take?

What kind of player do you think that player is?
I'm curious.

I hate the idea of drafting 2nd at this point.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Andrei Svechnikov without thinking twice or thinking about his brother in any fashion.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I've seen Dahlin in person and it took all of 2 shifts for him to show why he's a potential franchise D.
Yes, potential, that's what I was saying. No one is a guarantee. I would not cry myself to sleep if we get Boqvist, Hughes, Svechnikov or Zadina instead.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So if you draft 2nd, who do you take?

What kind of player do you think that player is?
I'm curious.

I hate the idea of drafting 2nd at this point.
My ideal 1st pick, short of landing Dahlin, is landing 2nd, trading down to 4th, still getting the best defenseman available, and getting another pick in the process.

Svech and Zadina will probably be very good players. Maybe even 30-40 goal scorers. But only on a team that can get them the puck. And if I'm convinced that one of the defensemen after Dahlin will be top pair, I think filling that hole is a bigger help than adding a good scorer who keeps getting passes in his skates from our dumpster fire of a blue line.

Reactions: turkleton85

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
My ideal 1st pick, short of landing Dahlin, is landing 2nd, trading down to 4th, still getting the best defenseman available, and getting another pick in the process.

Svech and Zadina will probably be very good players. Maybe even 30-40 goal scorers. But only on a team that can get them the puck. And if I'm convinced that one of the defensemen after Dahlin will be top pair, I think filling that hole is a bigger help than adding a good scorer who keeps getting passes in his skates from our dumpster fire of a blue line.

agreed, as much as i'd love having svechnikov on our team, it wouldn't change the structure and basic problems of the wings. And since we don't know yet what we ultimatley have with hronek, saarijärvi and cholowski, pick a d-man at 4 and pick up another 1st in the process

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->