Proposal: Det-Chi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Mantha is arguably better, but obviously less valuable with injury history. Why in the world would Detroit ever trade a two-way power forward that arguably still has 40 goal potential for yet another skill winger, when they already have Zadina, Raymond, and Berggren in the pool.

Detroit's not adding anything to Seider, let alone trading him at all. Both teams prefer to keep their prospects. That's why they drafted them.

Nylander would be your best player not named Larkin. He really popped last season and figured out where to go to find goals and got really good at finishing. If there is a guy that’s knocking on 40 goal potential, Nylander has shown he’s closer to that door than Mantha. Mantha needs to sign a contract and stay healthy for a season to prove himself as an equal or better player. Today, he’s not.

someone tossed Dachs name in there. Seider was the only guy I could come up with in such a scenario. Wild trade idea. I’m sure both teams are happy to watch their own pick continue to develop. As they should.

Of all the teams with 2019 picks in the top 7, LA is your only team starting to sweat a little after draft + 1. All the rest of them either played in the NHL or had good post draft development seasons.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Nylander would be your best player not named Larkin. He really popped last season and figured out where to go to find goals and got really good at finishing. If there is a guy that’s knocking on 40 goal potential, Nylander has shown he’s closer to that door than Mantha. Mantha needs to sign a contract and stay healthy for a season to prove himself as an equal or better player. Today, he’s not.

someone tossed Dachs name in there. Seider was the only guy I could come up with in such a scenario. Wild trade idea. I’m sure both teams are happy to watch their own pick continue to develop. As they should.

Of all the teams with 2019 picks in the top 7, LA is your only team starting to sweat a little after draft + 1. All the rest of them either played in the NHL or had good post draft development seasons.
Not a chance. Mantha drives EVERY PLAYER HE PLAYS WITH from the wing no less. Nylander is good but give me Mantha 10/10.

People can talk about Mantha’s Injury history to try and get a discount on a fantasy board. I’m not at all worried about Mantha’s injuries. It’s been nothing chronic, just bad luck. His offensive production while in the line up shows that those injuries aren’t slowing him down. People want to act like he’s on his 7th knee surgery. The Wings would be out of their minds to give up a line driving winger.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Here is a comparison between the 2 players last year.
I created this for winning at fantasy hockey... Ive extrapolated both players stats on a theoretical 82 Game Schedule to even out for the fact that Strome played 58 games last year, vs Mantha's 43.

Needless to say, I like Mantha's upside better IF he can ever play all the games in a Season :P

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 12.51.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 12.51.55 PM.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 9

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Not a chance. Mantha drives EVERY PLAYER HE PLAYS WITH from the wing no less. Nylander is good but give me Mantha 10/10.

People can talk about Mantha’s Injury history to try and get a discount on a fantasy board. I’m not at all worried about Mantha’s injuries. It’s been nothing chronic, just bad luck. His offensive production while in the line up shows that those injuries aren’t slowing him down. People want to act like he’s on his 7th knee surgery. The Wings would be out of their minds to give up a line driving winger.

The thing to worry about with Mantha is a short term deal now - and then being faced with a long term deal at age 28 or something, when his 235-pound frame starts showing the wear and tear.

The other thing to worry about with Mantha is inconsistency.
Two years ago, the "line driver" was sitting at 59 games 17-16-33 before a hot streak saved his season after the trade deadline.
In fact, over the course of two seasons, he had a statline of 113 games 29-30-59.

So Mantha doesn't just go quiet for 6-7 games. He tends to go into massive slumbers.

Last year was the first time that didn't happen.
The question is, did he turn a corner?
Or did the injuries and COVID shutdown prevent us from seeing it?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Here is a comparison between the 2 players last year.
I created this for winning at fantasy hockey... Ive extrapolated both players stats on a theoretical 82 Game Schedule to even out for the fact that Strome played 58 games last year, vs Mantha's 43.

Needless to say, I like Mantha's upside better IF he can ever play all the games in a Season :P

What about the year before?
Pro-rated for 82 games
Mantha 30-28-58
Strome 24-48-72 (Chicago games only)

That said, while there are things I like about Strome, he just doesn't stand out very often when watching him.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The thing to worry about with Mantha is a short term deal now - and then being faced with a long term deal at age 28 or something, when his 235-pound frame starts showing the wear and tear.

The other thing to worry about with Mantha is inconsistency.
Two years ago, the "line driver" was sitting at 59 games 17-16-33 before a hot streak saved his season after the trade deadline.
In fact, over the course of two seasons, he had a statline of 113 games 29-30-59.

So Mantha doesn't just go quiet for 6-7 games. He tends to go into massive slumbers.

Last year was the first time that didn't happen.
The question is, did he turn a corner?
Or did the injuries and COVID shutdown prevent us from seeing it?
I think you misunderstand “line driver”. It has little to do with his points. It’s where the puck is when he is on the ice regardless. In that regard there are very few slumbers. He makes everyone better.

manthan94

manthan94

If you want your better players to have more opportunity you play them with Mantha. As much as many non Wings fans think he is overrated, being As strong of a line driver from the wing (Without the benefit of being a center) is very rare and I see him as underrated by most of the Wings fan base.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

But availability isn’t some minor inconvenience. It’s pretty damn important. So it does matter and it does drive value. As does contract certainty when the player lives up to his deal. Nylander certainly did this past season scoring at a very impressive clip.

Strome for Mantha is absurd. But Swap Nylander in for Strome and I’ve fixed the ridiculous value mismatch. I’ve removed the insulting nature of a rip the other sides face off proposal. I’ve made it hurt both ways. May not be a match. But at least it’s a base from which to discuss the merits.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think you misunderstand “line driver”. It has little to do with his points. It’s where the puck is when he is on the ice regardless. In that regard there are very few slumbers. He makes everyone better.

manthan94

manthan94

If you want your better players to have more opportunity you play them with Mantha. As much as many non Wings fans think he is overrated, being As strong of a line driver from the wing (Without the benefit of being a center) is very rare and I see him as underrated by most of the Wings fan base.

"Line driver" doesn't mean a whole lot to me when you're talking about a guy as a front line winger.

The job of a first line scoring winger is to produce goals, not corsi.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
"Line driver" doesn't mean a whole lot to me when you're talking about a guy as a front line winger.

The job of a first line scoring winger is to produce goals, not corsi.
Again, you misunderstand. It’s not about Mantha’s corsi either. It’s about the players he plays with.

That is complete non sense. You want to ignore how every single player who plays with Mantha is elevated but because you perceive some streaks where he’s not putting up points that he isn’t helping? I get it, that’s been your stance with your love affair with AA but it still doesn’t make sense..

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Mantha is also our best player not named Larkin (when healthy he was our best)... So that was a weird point.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

I tossed Dach's name in there + 1st, just to make it lop-sided, but in favor of the Wings instead of OP. It was obviously sarcasm, especially since I included a 1st coming to DET also.

That being said Seider has already manhandled Dach in the preseason last yr., I can't wait til he steamrolls him. Beware of Seider, he is coming.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I tossed Dach's name in there + 1st, just to make it lop-sided, but in favor of the Wings instead of OP. It was obviously sarcasm, especially since I included a 1st coming to DET also.

That being said Seider has already manhandled Dach in the preseason last yr., I can't wait til he steamrolls him. Beware of Seider, he is coming.

my point was that Dachs name belongs with Seider and vice versa. Two very promising core pieces for their respective clubs. I roll my eyes at all the rip your face off trades here. I wish there were more honest proposals that allowed for real debate.

Detroit would be thrilled to have a prospect as good as Dach on their team. Just not at the cost of Seider but those trades that hurt badly both ways are the most interesting to discuss.

but this thread isn’t one of those. It’s a rip Detroit’s face off proposal. Those are boring and annoying.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Based on the responses, I'm concerned that some people don't know who Jusse Smollett is an actually think he's a Chicago prospect...

Reactions: dekelikekocur

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
Based on the responses, I'm concerned that some people don't know who Jusse Smollett is an actually think he's a Chicago prospect...

That's ridiculous! Everyone knows he was in the the Mighty Ducks organization. Had some talent, but was labeled as a locker room cancer. Got a bad reputation for calling out coaches.

9d5d58be8c5f0c8efd93bb580d1b3208.gif

Reactions: BStinson

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Mantha is being incredibly overrated by Det fans considering he never even broke 50pts in any given season, had a major injury, and has a lower ceiling with him already being 26

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Jusse Smollett could probably convince himself and some really stupid along with him that he is, indeed, a Chicago Blackhawks prospect.

he’s top shelf at playing pretend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->