Proposal: DET - CGY

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Detroit had two scouts at the Kings/Flames game last night, so perhaps there's some action there...

To Flames:
Andreas Athanasiou

To Red Wings:
Oliver Kylington
2nd Round Pick

Thoughts?
I haven't followed Kylington too much since the draft. My understanding is that he's developing fairly well into a smooth skating middle pair D that can join the rush but isn't necessarily super dynamic offensively or amazing defensively but generally effective... Is that about right?

I think I'd move AA for Kylington and a second but it depends a lot on how he's developed.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Whats AA's ceiling?
The good: AA is all offense all the time. Top 5 fastest players in the league and can put the puck in the net. 30g last year.

The bad: he is no defense all the time. He has zero interest in even trying. Even though he will win 98% of races starting 3 steps behind he insists on starting 3 steps a head. Its like PK 5 on 5 in your own end.

If you have a line driver at centre (Larkin) he can be useful. But he has to be put into a position to succeed.

Reactions: MabusIncarnate

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I haven't followed Kylington too much since the draft. My understanding is that he's developing fairly well into a smooth skating middle pair D that can join the rush but isn't necessarily super dynamic offensively or amazing defensively but generally effective... Is that about right?

I think I'd move AA for Kylington and a second but it depends a lot on how he's developed.

That sound about right.

As for the trade, with Hamonic and Gio our for the next bit here I’d say no. Let’s revisit this in the summer.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Although AA's speed and goalscoring ability would be more than welcome in our lineup, I am not sure his playstyle and defensive ineptitude would fit on either of our top two lines. I suppose he could potentially fit with Tkachuk and Backlund, but you certainly don't want him with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Don't hate it, but certainly don't love it either.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
The good: AA is all offense all the time. Top 5 fastest players in the league and can put the puck in the net. 30g last year.

The bad: he is no defense all the time. He has zero interest in even trying. Even though he will win 98% of races starting 3 steps behind he insists on starting 3 steps a head. Its like PK 5 on 5 in your own end.

If you have a line driver at centre (Larkin) he can be useful. But he has to be put into a position to succeed.

Well hes another left hand rw, i don't think he'd have a spot with Johnny/Money, maybe with Chucky/Lind/AA, but i wouldn't give up the 2nd, Kylington is a solid young defenseman, we have 2 ufas probably both leaving, id want to keep him in this scenario, if anything id want it to be 1 for 1, Dmen usually take longer to develop and hes already in the league.

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Well hes another left hand rw, i don't think he'd have a spot with Johnny/Money, maybe with Chucky/Lind/AA, but i wouldn't give up the 2nd, Kylington is a solid young defenseman, we have 2 ufas probably both leaving, id want to keep him in this scenario, if anything id want it to be 1 for 1, Dmen usually take longer to develop and hes already in the league.

Do you think Kylington has much offense? I know he's on third pair and not getting PP time, but he's almost putting up nothing in terms of points. That was part of the reason I added on the CGY side and didn't think a 1 for 1 was fair to Detroit.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Do you think Kylington has much offense? I know he's on third pair and not getting PP time, but he's almost putting up nothing in terms of points. That was part of the reason I added on the CGY side and didn't think a 1 for 1 was fair to Detroit.

The thing is AA is not really a need for us, what we need is a rhs for our top line and thats not AA, we're not looking for 2nd/3rd line up grades, We need Kylington much more than AA.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Sure. Just giving what I think is an honest evaluation. I've never been a big fan. Even when hes good hes like Galchenyuk good, lots offense but an overall detriment. A lot of Wings fans get hung up on the offense.

I'd take a potential 2nd pair Dman for him and if that Dman lands as a 3rd pair I dont feel too bad about it.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Sure. Just giving what I think is an honest evaluation. I've never been a big fan. Even when hes good hes like Galchenyuk good, lots offense but an overall detriment. A lot of Wings fans get hung up on the offense.

I'd take a potential 2nd pair Dman for him and if that Dman lands as a 3rd pair I dont feel too bad about it.
Ya, I'm sorry but I'd much rather keep the potential 30 goal scorer.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Ya, I'm sorry but I'd much rather keep the potential 30 goal scorer.
You keep him then. The guy fluked out on 30 goal once. Back to his normal pace and no defense on top of that...a second is more than enough let alone adding a potential NHL dman

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Who has 50 going in his own net.

You keep him then. The guy fluked out on 30 goal once. Back to his normal pace and no defense on top of that...a second is more than enough let alone adding a potential NHL dman

Why would any GM trade a potential 30 goal scorer for a bottom pairing D man while in the middle of a rebuild? I don't understand this logic.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Why would any GM trade a potential 30 goal scorer for a bottom pairing D man while in the middle of a rebuild? I don't understand this logic.
Because even with those 30 goals he is a detriment on the ice. And right now hes not a 30 goal scorer. Eat all the member berries you want.

He already not worth his qualifying offer while rebuilding and trying to show young players that there is a right way to play. If you are a team with the horses to cover for his horse crap defense you might see a role for him. The Wings wont be in that position for 3+ years.

I think Yzerman would be brain dead to reach his qualifying offer for more than 2 years. Smart would be one.

If the Wings who have a giant hole on their defense can grab a potential 2nd pair dman for him they should take it and run.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

Im sure Kylington will at least be a #4, he's been known for being a two way defense man, so im sure he's just trying to focus on his defense first, he has little stints here and there, but he's not even 22 and this is his 1st/2nd year, just let him play out this season and we can come back during the offseason, but as of right now, i would do AA + 4th or 2nd 20 for Kylington + 3rd/2nd/1st(depending on the playoffs this season and him resigning? If both happens its a 1st and Det sends back a 2nd, if one or the other happens its a 3rd/2nd going to Det and a 4th coming to Calgary)

That's my offer.
AA
4th/2nd 20

Kylington
3rd-1st 20

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Because the dman is younger and also have potential and the pick is decent in a good draft?
Also not sure how much potential is left from athanasoiu

That said they can keep him...no interest on the flames

Reactions: TS Quint

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Because the dman is younger and also have potential and the pick is decent in a good draft?
Also not sure how much potential is left from athanasoiu
I wasn't commenting of the offer from OP. I was responding to @TS Quint 's comment about settling for a 3rd pair Dman (not Kylington) and not feeling bad about it. Say what you want about AA, but there's no way any GM gives him away for a 3rd pair Dman while in a rebuild like the Wings are. They will simply keep playing him and hope his stock rises. @TS Quint you still haven't convinced me why the Wings should trade AA for a 3rd pair dman during this rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->