GDT: DET @ CBJ I 7:00pm EST I 4/3/2018

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Vets are laying into the youngsters. I am starting to think this room is pretty divided, like some of the reports we have heard in certain sports circles.

They are not happy though. Z and Nyquist went after them pretty hard there.

This is what happens when you have a non rebuilding roster with a rebuild result of a season. Holland preached playoffs all offseason and sold the vets a bill of goods. I haven't been impressed with Z's leadership when things got tough.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Vets are laying into the youngsters. I am starting to think this room is pretty divided, like some of the reports we have heard in certain sports circles.

Hahaha Nyquist..how about the young players go after Nyquist? Nyquist gets 1st line minutes all year, and 1st PP all year, yet can't even hit 40 pts lol. Nyquist is such garbage, and easily replaceable. I dream of a world where Nyquist no longer wastes minutes for our team. The guy ws over-achieving 4 years ago, so he's still penciled in s a first liner? He'd struggle on most other team's 3rd line. Probably the softest player in the entire NHL too.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Hahaha Nyquist..how about the young players go after Nyquist? Nyquist gets 1st line minutes all year, and 1st PP all year, yet can't even hit 40 pts lol. Nyquist is such garbage, and easily replaceable. I dream of a world where Nyquist no longer wastes minutes for our team. The guy ws over-achieving 4 years ago, so he's still penciled in s a first liner? He'd struggle on most other team's 3rd line. Probably the softest player in the entire NHL too.

Yea, idiots. They need to fix those lines so we can start winning some more hockey games!

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
We weren't very good tonight, Howard kept us in that game, he was very solid and allowed very few rebounds. Our defense and defensive coverage, as usual, came through in the end and cost us the win.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Utter BS

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Agenda - anything that you don't agree with.

Or try this one:
Agenda: anything you can say or spin to support your opinion that Howard sucks. Apparently, great shots that hit posts are now a sign of poor goaltending. Why stop there? If a shot goes wide by an inch shouldn't the goalie have that one too? I mean it's an inch away from a post, and we all know that a post equals a goalie is cleanly beat.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014

Nyquist is the last person who should criticize anyone... hell most of "vets" besides Z. He's been carried all season long by Z

With that being said, the 3rd goal given up was hilarious! Larkin and Jensen just on their knees LOL!!!!

The 4th goal was another funny one, Panarin making a fool of our PK unit.

5th goal, Kronwall, on the rush, took a shot and ended up behind the CBJ net with AA while CBJ started their own rush. Initial shot by CBJ misses and goes into the corner where Abby proceeds to get out muscled and knocked on his arse. Puck ends up at the point where Nyquist does some poke and hope defense, CBJ defenseman just pucks the puck right in the slot and they score.

swedish_chef.jpg

Detroit in a nut shell this season

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Or try this one:
Agenda: anything you can say or spin to support your opinion that Howard sucks. Apparently, great shots that hit posts are now a sign of poor goaltending. Why stop there? If a shot goes wide by an inch shouldn't the goalie have that one too? I mean it's an inch away from a post, and we all know that a post equals a goalie is cleanly beat.

LOL.
You don't have to look far to find evidence that Howard sucks.

Yeah, man it depends.
You f***ing know when someone beats you. Sometimes they can blow one high or wide and you know they had you.
That third goalpost today? Howard had no clue where it was. Total luck that it doesn't go in. The first one? he waived at it and missed it.

Sometimes, it hits the post and you know you had the goal line covered, so who cares. Other times, you're just thankful they were a half inch off, because they had you.

That's the nature of goaltending.

Who cares?
He still gave up 5. He had 3 goal posts/crossbars.
His luck gave Detroit a point, but Howie managed to lose again.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
AA and Mantha are the biggest disappointments of the season. Mantha cant win a board battle, nor does he want to race to the puck. Lazy player, plays a very poke and hope kind of game. Ever since his big game against Calgary where people started calling him elite it probably went to his head and he gave up on the season, thinking he can just coast because hes so good.

Athanasiou is more of the same. Lacks intensity just like Mantha. Struggles along the boards as well.

Neither have gotten better this season, you can make a case for them each regressing honestly.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Or try this one:
I knew exactly who you were responding to with this post before I even looked at the quoted portion.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I mean, the minutes and the PP time and the production is all correct. Maybe he's not the "softest player in the league" but he's definitely been a disappointment on the team this season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is what happens when you have a non rebuilding roster with a rebuild result of a season. Holland preached playoffs all offseason and sold the vets a bill of goods. I haven't been impressed with Z's leadership when things got tough.

I think Z has run out of patience for them to receive the message in a nice way. He is clearly frustrated that they aren't learning to play more responsible hockey as a team.

I think AA is traded at the draft at this point.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean, the minutes and the PP time and the production is all correct. Maybe he's not the "softest player in the league" but he's definitely been a disappointment on the team this season.

Nyquist has had some tough puck luck. To be honest he has been darn good night in and night out for the team this year.

I think in a lot of ways he has played his best hockey this year, the numbers just aren't there though. Stinks but I think he is playing the right way. I hope he plays this way all of next year, I think he could have a much better year and teams would be interested come the deadline.

Guys aren't having outstanding years. They are a losing team with a lot of problems. But I think his compete level has been the best it has been in Detroit. I think he has forechecked worlds better this year. He has made great setups and misfired a little too often. But I think Nyquist has likely raised his game a little with NHL scouts and that should help us while we shop him over the next year. I don't understand why people seemingly want the guy to fail.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
LOL.
You don't have to look far to find evidence that Howard sucks.

Yeah, man it depends.
You ****ing know when someone beats you. Sometimes they can blow one high or wide and you know they had you.
That third goalpost today? Howard had no clue where it was. Total luck that it doesn't go in. The first one? he waived at it and missed it.

Sometimes, it hits the post and you know you had the goal line covered, so who cares. Other times, you're just thankful they were a half inch off, because they had you.

That's the nature of goaltending.

Who cares?
He still gave up 5. He had 3 goal posts/crossbars.
His luck gave Detroit a point, but Howie managed to lose again.

Yea man, you gave your sermon about being a goalie and knowing when you're beat back on like page 3 of this thread. It pushed your agenda then and pushes your agenda now.

And I'm not saying Howard is a good goalie, I preferred Mrazek and I am for trading Howard sometime between now and next season's deadline. But, I don't have an opinion that oscillates based on what goalie is in the net and I don't narrow my scope of data to fit my agenda. Howard outplayed Bobski. Howard got us a point that we did not deserve. Columbus was swarming through our D from the 2nd period on and had a few shots ring off of posts and that is somehow on Howard? Howard got hung out to dry several times and gave up 5 goals on over forty shots.
But, it is so much more fitting for your agenda to narrow all of that down to: Howard gave up 5 goals. We lost. Howard sucks.
Worthless analysis.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
AA and Mantha are the biggest disappointments of the season. Mantha cant win a board battle, nor does he want to race to the puck. Lazy player, plays a very poke and hope kind of game. Ever since his big game against Calgary where people started calling him elite it probably went to his head and he gave up on the season, thinking he can just coast because hes so good.

Athanasiou is more of the same. Lacks intensity just like Mantha. Struggles along the boards as well.

Neither have gotten better this season, you can make a case for them each regressing honestly.

AA has been getting f***ed all year.
Blashill being blashill.

Mantha, on the other hand - out of 77 games, he's played less than 14 minutes just six times, under 15 minutes just 10 times.
For Athanasiou, out of 68 games, he's played less than 14 minutes 21 times and under 15 minutes 30 times.

Other than getting called out every once in awhile, Mantha continues to enjoy good icetime and PP employment.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Yea man, you gave your sermon about being a goalie and knowing when you're beat back on like page 3 of this thread. It pushed your agenda then and pushes your agenda now.

And I'm not saying Howard is a good goalie, I preferred Mrazek and I am for trading Howard sometime between now and next season's deadline. But, I don't have an opinion that oscillates based on what goalie is in the net and I don't narrow my scope of data to fit my agenda. Howard outplayed Bobski. Howard got us a point that we did not deserve. Columbus was swarming through our D from the 2nd period on and had a few shots ring off of posts and that is somehow on Howard? Howard got hung out to dry several times and gave up 5 goals on over forty shots.
But, it is so much more fitting for your agenda to narrow all of that down to: Howard gave up 5 goals. We lost. Howard sucks.
Worthless analysis.

Your agenda is to spin bullshit about my opinions.
Have fun with that, if that's what you want.
But I'd aspire to something better.

Columbus would have buried us tonight with a little bit of luck.
Bert's goal was what? Of his elbow?
Helm's goal off the Columbus guy's stick.
Meanwhile Columbus is setting up tic-tac-toe chances off the iron.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
AA has been getting ****ed all year.
Blashill being blashill.

Mantha, on the other hand - out of 77 games, he's played less than 14 minutes just six times, under 15 minutes just 10 times.
For Athanasiou, out of 68 games, he's played less than 14 minutes 21 times and under 15 minutes 30 times.

Other than getting called out every once in awhile, Mantha continues to enjoy good icetime and PP employment.

One of those guys is in the teams long-term plans. The other likely isn't, that is what you're seeing there. Plus AA's bad is pretty darn bad, he usually flashes for about 10 seconds even in his dreadful games but playing him more probably wouldn't cause a second flash, when he is off he is off.

AA's been playing very uninspiring hockey. There is really no defending it for most of the last while. He doesn't look like he is enjoying it, I think he has had enough of being here and they have had enough of him being here with the same attitude. I would be shocked if AA was on this team next season, people should probably start preparing for that reality in my opinion. His fate was sealed as soon as we heard about Holland's extension.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

21 goals in 17 min a game is not that bad. That whole thing was over the top.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Nyquist has had some tough puck luck. To be honest he has been darn good night in and night out for the team this year.

I think in a lot of ways he has played his best hockey this year, the numbers just aren't there though. Stinks but I think he is playing the right way. I hope he plays this way all of next year, I think he could have a much better year and teams would be interested come the deadline.

Guys aren't having outstanding years. They are a losing team with a lot of problems. But I think his compete level has been the best it has been in Detroit. I think he has forechecked worlds better this year. He has made great setups and misfired a little too often. But I think Nyquist has likely raised his game a little with NHL scouts and that should help us while we shop him over the next year. I don't understand why people seemingly want the guy to fail.

Who wants Nyquist to fail?
There are 33 forwards in the NHL with 1100 5 on 5 minutes.
Now that Ryan OReilly has joined the club, Nyquist is only 2nd worst in points/60.
Z is 4th worst.

So...out of 33 players
Connor McDavid 1st
Dylan Larkin 10th
Zetterberg 30th
Nyquist 32nd

The interesting thing is that Zetterberg and Nyquist get pretty easy deployment, as Detroit forwards go.

Reactions: RedWingzz

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
O
AA's been playing very uninspiring hockey. There is really no defending it for most of the last while. He doesn't look like he is enjoying it, I think he has had enough of being here and they have had enough of him being here with the same attitude. I would be shocked if AA was on this team next season, people should probably start preparing for that reality in my opinion. His fate was sealed as soon as we heard about Holland's extension.

AA was pretty good the last 2-3 games before tonight.

I wouldn't be shocked for Detroit to trade him. I actually think it's best if he gets away from this shitshow franchise and its incompetent coach.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
One of those guys is in the teams long-term plans. The other likely isn't, that is what you're seeing there. Plus AA's bad is pretty darn bad, he usually flashes for about 10 seconds even in his dreadful games but playing him more probably wouldn't cause a second flash, when he is off he is off.

What's interesting to me is he still has a hard time knowing what to do with the puck on those rushes. There are times when he should carry the puck in, pass it to an open teammate, or just dump it in... but he doesn't make the right play consistently.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
-Team’s not good
-Some of these guys like Nyquist will probably be gone next year anyways
-I’ll worry about player deployment when the team’s not ass

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Guys that will be paid well in 5 years:
Larkin
Bertuzzi

Guys that won't:
AA
Mantha

I honestly think Bertuzzi is something special. His hockey IQ is really good. He scraps. He gets pummeled. He takes his licks and still ends up with the puck on his stick/hand/ass/foot. If he gets a little quicker in the off-season...

AA should get his ass kicked for that shot he took off Werenski's head. That's bullshit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad