GDT: DET @ ANA | 10:00pm EST | 3/16/2018

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Who cares? You couldn't get **** for him at 32 years old.
What makes you think you're going to get value for him at 34 or 35?

Draft picks? Seriously?
You're signing mediocre players for millions of dollars, handcuffing your cap space in the process, limiting your ability to have rookies compete for a job... for the potential to trade for draft picks?

Don't we already have Daley and Ericsson who are supposed to be draft pick trade bait sometime down the road?

What cap space issues? This team will be unloading a ton of money over the next two years. There should be no concern with cap space.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Weird to say this, but pretty excited with the losing streak. I guess I wish they were losing in close games, but beggars can't be choosers.

I'm sure the players (who are not RFA's or UFA's) have pretty much given up, really nothing to play for especially when the worse you do, the better it will be for the team moving forward.

Reactions: TheMule93

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I agree that the d are awful and they do make some awful plays I just feel like if we don’t have anybody blow the zone it could help. Center support low and slow , strong side winger low making there d have to come down a long ways if they wanna pinch and then the weak side winger streaking across the strong side anticipating a pass/chip while the weak side d jumps up in the play out the back side. Again I agree that a lot is on the D but I do think we blow the zone early a lot of times as well making it difficult on the D. This is something that i want them to just experiment with for that last 10 games

You and Redder make some good points. Whatever lob/rush style Blashill is employing hasn't worked very well. Ok at times, but not consistent enough. At least one forward has to stretch though, to push the opposing D back. Unfortunately I think the breakout you're describing with 3 forwards for support, curling out as options is extinct. Pittsburgh was successful doing almost nothing but rifling pucks off the glass to the neutral zone as the forwards race down ice, and to me every team has copied that strategy.

It's been said multiple times here- Blashill's "system" is not unique in the least, we just don't have the skill to execute it on a regular basis.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
You and Redder make some good points. Whatever lob/rush style Blashill is employing hasn't worked very well. Ok at times, but not consistent enough. At least one forward has to stretch though, to push the opposing D back. Unfortunately I think the breakout you're describing with 3 forwards for support, curling out as options is extinct. Pittsburgh was successful doing almost nothing but rifling pucks off the glass to the neutral zone as the forwards race down ice, and to me every team has copied that strategy.

It's been said multiple times here- Blashill's "system" is not unique in the least, we just don't have the skill to execute it on a regular basis.

So why not try the system that I am saying? Why wouldn’t it work?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
the "winning culture" mean people are trying.

to be honest, i see our team competing and trying hard. (most of the players anyway).
We just don't have the talent to compete properly right now. But don't worry over next few years we will continue to collect talent.

But that "winning" culture is about effort... not talent.

P.S. Why isnt AA better than Larkin? Kid is faster, bigger, just as good hands.... I imagine its work ethic and effort.

Even if they had the same work ethic, Larkin has much better vision, hockey sense, among other attributes. There was a reason Larkin went in the 1st round wheras 100+ players were picked before AA

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
So why not try the system that I am saying? Why wouldn’t it work?

Well you were saying have no one blow the zone, but at least one guy has to be moving as an outlet further down ice. I do agree with you though, they need to modify their strategy. As Redder responded, I also don't see a problem with the Wings trying to slow things down and keep two of the forwards closer as options. If our forwards don't have the talent to win lobbed pucks like Pittsburgh then we need to tweak our approach.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I don't have a problem with a guy being a man - this isn't ****ing soccer
Agreed. You should never dive. I'd always rather lose with honor than win without it. Diving lessens you as a player... and a person if the game is so integrally tied to your identity.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm fine with adding a defenseman in free agency. If it's on a reasonable contract, and he can play reasonable defense.

I think Green is now to the point that bringing him back would hurt more than help.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Well you were saying have no one blow the zone, but at least one guy has to be moving as an outlet further down ice. I do agree with you though, they need to modify their strategy. As Redder responded, I also don't see a problem with the Wings trying to slow things down and keep two of the forwards closer as options. If our forwards don't have the talent to win lobbed pucks like Pittsburgh then we need to tweak our approach.
The weak side winger would be coming across the middle which would pull the defense off the blue line. If our wingers and centerman are back and low it would give us space to hit someone with speed because we do have speed. Also with the weak side winger coming across the middle for support it will open up the weak side d-man to activate in the play. This Allows us to attack with a 4 man rush. Do you ever notice that basically every chance we create has to be done by a good forecheck? We never create chances off the rush because by the time we hit the stretch guy he’s flat footed and the d just stands him up.

Maybe I’m wrong and you need to have a stretch guy because guys are too good at taking away time and space. If so then I think the nhl needs to go to Olympic size ice because that allows for teams to play the way I’m talking about. This is why I find the nhl so boring so much stretching and high flips not enough puck possession, and short qucick passes

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If so then I think the nhl needs to go to Olympic size ice because that allows for teams to play the way I’m talking about. This is why I find the nhl so boring so much stretching and high flips not enough puck possession, and short qucick passes.
From your lips to the owners' ears. I don't ever see them changing to Olympic ice due to logistics (and seating revenue), but it would be one of the best improvements to quality of play they could possibly make.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
From your lips to the owners' ears. I don't ever see them changing to Olympic ice due to logistics (and seating revenue), but it would be one of the best improvements to quality of play they could possibly make.
Ya understandable but from a gameplay standpoint makes so much sense. I know we aren’t good but watching today’s nhl is just so boring to me, I think it’s cause guys are so big, fast, and coached defensively/systematically that puck possession has gone out the window. Making the surface bigger gives more room to make short 10-15 foot passes and to me would make the game so much more entertaining. NHL wants more goals?? How bout going to Olympic size ice

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Well unfortunately they still have to ice a hockey team rather than forfeiting all 82 games. You only bring Green back if you think Hronek and Cholowski aren't ready for the NHL.

I have to disagree with you here on this Claypool. I feel it would be much better to not sign him because it frees up a d spot for the kids to get say 15-20 game call ups on a platoon style basis to see how they are progressing and make sure you tell them that so they don't get depressed when they go back down to the ahl. However if someone outperforms everyone else they earn their spot.

Also it will help the tank much more by doing so.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Well unfortunately they still have to ice a hockey team rather than forfeiting all 82 games. You only bring Green back if you think Hronek and Cholowski aren't ready for the NHL.
I'm sorry but Green is not the answer. It's easy, I get that and Holland had been all about taking the easy path. Unfortunately that's what got us into our current predicament. You can sign a guy in free agency who isn't going to require the same commitment and let the kids fight for roster spots. The guy you draft with your top pick could be ready for the NHL.

Just reflexively signing Green to a 3-4 year deal would prove that the organization has learned nothing; it's the Abby, Helm, Neilsen & Daley contract but with the knowledge you have one of the worst teams in the league. You aren't getting back into the playoffs during that contract.

It needs to stop.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I'm sorry but Green is not the answer. It's easy, I get that and Holland had been all about taking the easy path. Unfortunately that's what got us into our current predicament. You can sign a guy in free agency who isn't going to require the same commitment and let the kids fight for roster spots. The guy you draft with your top pick could be ready for the NHL.

Just reflexively signing Green to a 3-4 year deal would prove that the organization has learned nothing; it's the Abby, Helm, Neilsen & Daley contract but with the knowledge you have one of the worst teams in the league. You aren't getting back into the playoffs during that contract.

It needs to stop.

Well put. A one year deal to Mike Green would be (in my opinion) the only acceptable offer and should be the only deal Holland has on the table. No clauses to prevent moving him, no clauses to give him options of vetoing a trade to any team. If he and his family like living in the area then here's a way to do it for one more year. If he isn't acceptable to something that gives our GM full freedom to get something for him at the deadline, then he can and should be looking to move somewhere else.

Your bolded comment is so dead on RtJ. If Holland seems prepared to offer Green multiple years then someone needs to go over his head and nix that idea.

Reactions: jkutswings

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Glad I didn't watch this one.

I know them losing is ultimately good for draft picks, but watching them lose to the likes of Kesler and Perry is still hard on the spirit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->