Destiny 2 | Curse of Osiris DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Exactly. people would be HAPPIER if this was a "re-skin" at this point.

Thinking the opposite indicates a rather dramatic misread of the entire situation. Baffling, one might say.

What in the absolute f***.

My precise point (as well as the ENTIRE rest of the internet) is that all the content of D2 should have been added to RoI style Destiny 1, without just wiping the previous content.

If you compare the way the end game worked after TTK compared to Vanilla D1, you'll see that the precedent had long been set that expansion can alter the end game. TTK and ROI for the better. D2 definitely for the worse.

But other than tweaking the end game grind, D2 is a complete re-skin of D1.

You guys have dug yourselves into some psychotic argument. But you all know you're wrong.

If Diablo 3 was launched and looked and played precisely the same as Diablo 2, you would all be confused. Flat out baffled. And you know it.

Last edited:

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If D3 launched 3 years after D2 and not 12, it would look a bit more similar. Those are also PC releases, not hindered by console limitations. D1 plays like D2 plays like D3. They are part of a series. Isometric view, random loot drops with varying properties, legendary named loot, battling hordes of enemies and ultimately Diablo, selection of classes with different talent trees, themed enemies you've seen in previous games, Deckard Cain; which one of the Diablo games is this exclusive to again? This is a bad analogy.

I'm not saying all the Diablo games are clones of each other and exactly the same, but fundamentally they play the same way. If you liked D1 and D2, you'll probably like D3 (today's version anyway, on release it was shit). The Diablo formula works, that is why there are 3 of them and why there will be a 4th. I bet it plays a lot like its predecessors.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
If D3 launched 3 years after D2 and not 12, it would look a bit more similar. Those are also PC releases, not hindered by console limitations. D1 plays like D2 plays like D3. They are part of a series. Isometric view, random loot drops with varying properties, legendary named loot, battling hordes of enemies and ultimately Diablo, selection of classes with different talent trees, themed enemies you've seen in previous games, Deckard Cain; which one of the Diablo games is this exclusive to again? This is a bad analogy.

I'm not saying all the Diablo games are clones of each other and exactly the same, but fundamentally they play the same way. If you liked D1 and D2, you'll probably like D3 (today's version anyway, on release it was ****). The Diablo formula works, that is why there are 3 of them and why there will be a 4th. I bet it plays a lot like its predecessors.

And WoW1 plays just like WoW2, which will be just like WoW3. Oh... wait a second. Nope. Until they decide to actually revamp the game in some way, they just keep making expansions. You know... like Diablo 3, and other games of this nature.

Can you imagine if WoW2 came out, and it looked PRECISELY the same, with all the same classes and enemies, but just new missions and map locations?

Again, the entire internet at large is confused over this issue. Why pretend like you don't get it?

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
WoW is an even worse point of reference for your argument. Have you actually played any of these games? I have. WoW has had the ability and need to update over time with each expansion release thanks to a very healthy and steady stream of subscription revenue. Their team size dwarfs that of Bungie's. It's also PC exclusive. There is no need to release a WoW2 and who knows if they ever will, but it certainly doesn't pertain to Destiny AT ALL. Any other boneheaded analogies?

Again, the entire internet at large is confused over this issue. Why pretend like you don't get it?
What a grossly over-exaggerated statement. Thanks for the lol.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
This was already explained here months ago, but it's been long since reported that Destiny 1's development tools were extensively broken, which made delivering content to the game problematic. The only reason D1 got so much post-release content was because they cut things from the base game and sprinkled it out as DLC when they realized that that production was going sideways, with Rise of Iron perhaps being the only exception there?

Destiny 1 was broken in ways that prevented them from being able to bolt any more shit onto it in a timely fashion, hence the clean break to new infrastructure for Destiny 2 (which also allowed them a PC release.)

The reason so many people on the internet are confused is probably because they don't know anything about development. Like, the hypothetical, best case scenario is that they get all of Destiny 1's content running on the new pipeline, AND port that content to PC, AND release all of Destiny 2's content on top of that. That would be perfect, and would also be far more work than most people (or so I'm told) seem to understand. Although even then, I'm not sure why anybody gives a shit about Destiny 1's content. If Vault of Glass was in the game I wouldn't be interested in doing it. I'd just want my Last Word and No Land Beyond back.

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
This was already explained here months ago, but it's been long since reported that Destiny 1's development tools were extensively broken, which made delivering content to the game problematic. The only reason D1 got so much post-release content was because they cut things from the base game and sprinkled it out as DLC when they realized that that production was going sideways, with Rise of Iron perhaps being the only exception there?

Destiny 1 was broken in ways that prevented them from being able to bolt any more **** onto it in a timely fashion, hence the clean break to new infrastructure for Destiny 2 (which also allowed them a PC release.)

The reason so many people on the internet are confused is probably because they don't know anything about development. Like, the hypothetical, best case scenario is that they get all of Destiny 1's content running on the new pipeline, AND port that content to PC, AND release all of Destiny 2's content on top of that. That would be perfect, and would also be far more work than most people (or so I'm told) seem to understand. Although even then, I'm not sure why anybody gives a **** about Destiny 1's content. If Vault of Glass was in the game I wouldn't be interested in doing it. I'd just want my Last Word and No Land Beyond back.

This explanation makes sense. I don't know if it's true... but at least it's some sort of explanation as to why this dlc was released as a standalone game.

I still don't understand why they just created a re-skin though. Imagine if WOW after all these years said "Due to technical limitations with WOW's engine, we're releasing WOW 2, a standalone sequel." Now, wouldn't most sane people be a little confused if WoW2 look and played precisely the same, but just wiped previous content and altered the end game grind?

Whatever the reason, when Bungie said that there will be 4 expansions, and then a standalone sequel, nobody on earth (other than hfboards) thought that sequel would look and play PRECISELY the same. It doesn't make sense.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It looks better and plays worse, but I'm not sure why anybody would be surprised that they would more or less try to keep the only things about Destiny 1 that people universally liked.

Destiny 2 is a mulligan and only exists as is because they f***ed up Destiny 1--a game with a supposed 10 year plan--so badly. Analogies to something like WoW are dumb and pointless considering the differences in genre, monetization, and the fact that World of Warcraft was never completely broken. If you want to reach with MMO comparisons, this is a lesser FFXIV--the main difference being Destiny 1 had things in it that people liked, so they didn't have to blow it up as hard as Final Fantasy did.

It's impressive that they even got a re-do, and it's unfortunate that they decided to use that opportunity to change things so much for the worse.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
It looks better and plays worse, but I'm not sure why anybody would be surprised that they would more or less try to keep the only things about Destiny 1 that people universally liked.

Destiny 2 is a mulligan and only exists as is because they ****ed up Destiny 1--a game with a supposed 10 year plan--so badly. Analogies to something like WoW are dumb and pointless considering the differences in genre, monetization, and the fact that World of Warcraft was never completely broken. If you want to reach with MMO comparisons, this is a lesser FFXIV--the main difference being Destiny 1 had things in it that people liked, so they didn't have to blow it up as hard as Final Fantasy did.

It's impressive that they even got a re-do, and it's unfortunate that they decided to use that opportunity to change things so much for the worse.

So imagine if WoW did have a technical problem 3 years in and they made a sequel. Imagine it looked and played precisely the same. Everyone would be baffled. BAFFLED. Except hfboards of course...

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
So imagine if WoW did have a technical problem 3 years in and they made a sequel. Imagine it looked and played precisely the same. Everyone would be baffled. BAFFLED. Except hfboards of course...

If WoW had massive developmental issues that hamstrung a game that otherwise had good to great looks and gameplay, anybody who wouldn't expect the re-do to look and play similarly a mere couple of years down the road would be an idiot. Anybody who would have expected them to throw away the only two things that people praised the first game for would be an idiot. Comparisons to other games don't hold water because we've rarely if ever seen other games get bungled as hard in development as Destiny 1.

That being said, just because you keep putting "precisely" in italics doesn't make it true. Destiny 2 is definitely improved visually and worse mechanically than D1, even if they're understandably still in the same ballpark.

But, again, they blew their second chance anyways. They've got until September before they may as well put a bullet in the franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I think it's hilarious that A) they managed to put themselves in the same situation as D1 where they start from the ground up in the 11th hour, and B) supposedly told Activision it was "too hard" to make content and they'll supplant said content with Eververse to keep the revenue coming.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think it's hilarious that A) they managed to put themselves in the same situation as D1 where they start from the ground up in the 11th hour, and B) supposedly told Activision it was "too hard" to make content and they'll supplant said content with Eververse to keep the revenue coming.

well I don't see that working at this point. franchise will simply die if that's the case.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Hmmmm. Destiny 2 is on Amazon for 12$. is it worth it just to play the storyline and some online gaming? Not planning on getting any DLC but just to have a shooter to throw on once and a while.

ended up ordering it. 12 $ is pretty darn cheap.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Hmmmm. Destiny 2 is on Amazon for 12$. is it worth it just to play the storyline and some online gaming? Not planning on getting any DLC but just to have a shooter to throw on once and a while.

ended up ordering it. 12 $ is pretty darn cheap.

It’s a great game but people went through the content so damned fast that and you need a clan to get a lot of the cool stuff and bonuses.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
It’s a great game but people went through the content so damned fast that and you need a clan to get a lot of the cool stuff and bonuses.

good to hear! I was huge into the original but never dipped into the second based on the reviews and complaints. With the new patch coming it sounds like it will be a bit better and reinstate 6v6 multiplayer. I dont think I cant lose at 12$ lol. Must of been a one day deal as I see its back up to 25 today. In Canada it is still 69.99 so it will have good resale if I don't like it.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
good to hear! I was huge into the original but never dipped into the second based on the reviews and complaints. With the new patch coming it sounds like it will be a bit better and reinstate 6v6 multiplayer. I dont think I cant lose at 12$ lol. Must of been a one day deal as I see its back up to 25 today. In Canada it is still 69.99 so it will have good resale if I don't like it.

Ignore the whiny bitches. They’re just complaining to complain.

Reactions: tacogeoff

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
the game seriously sucks compared to the expanded first edition - how does it compare price wise to D2?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Ignore the whiny *****es. They’re just complaining to complain.

Or people might have legitimate complaints?

Bungie took a step forward and three steps back with Destiny 2. No private crucible matches, no strike specific loot to grind for, not being able to select which crucible mode you want to play, removing rift, making ALL crucible 4v4, etc.

The game itself is fun to play, but after a couple months I had zero motivation to play it anymore. And I’m not the only one. The population for Trials has absolutely plummeted.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Or people might have legitimate complaints?

Bungie took a step forward and three steps back with Destiny 2. No private crucible matches, no strike specific loot to grind for, not being able to select which crucible mode you want to play, removing rift, making ALL crucible 4v4, etc.

The game itself is fun to play, but after a couple months I had zero motivation to play it anymore. And I’m not the only one. The population for Trials has absolutely plummeted.

Did you know that the game was scrapped 16 months before launch and re-done from the ground up?

The game isn’t bad. The developers severely underestimated players blowing through the game so quickly.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I was a huge fan of d1 but this game is utter trash. I’ll wait a while to buy destiny 3 if it ever comes out.

@Throw More Waffles was right. My apologies.

Now... imagine all of D2 content was simply added to the original Destiny, instead of creating the unnecessary "sequel". Just imagine how happy everybody would have been, and how many of them/us would still be playing.

Reactions: The Drop

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Now... imagine all of D2 content was simply added to the original Destiny, instead of creating the unnecessary "sequel". Just imagine how happy everybody would have been, and how many of them/us would still be playing.

I picked up D1 after playing through D2 and I don’t get how People see it’s a better game.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I picked up D1 after playing through D2 and I don’t get how People see it’s a better game.
D1 kept a large group of die hard fans for about 3 years.

D2 died in about 3 months.

Granted... D2's campaign was better. That's why reviews were better (most reviewers probably stopped shortly after the campaign). But when it came to the end game grind, D1 was an infinitely better game.

Reactions: irunthepeg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad