Destiny 2 | Curse of Osiris DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's not wrong there. Ships, ornaments, sparrows. All the stuff you used to be able to play the game for in D1, you can only get if you buy it with bright dust or real money.

I mean, in general, significantly more items have been added to the Eververse inventory than have been added as rewards from Strikes or Crucible or whatever.

Fair enough.

I just don't care much about ships and sparrows. Ornaments you can't get through the shop, you can only get them by completing challenges.... or did you mean emotes? (or teleport effects?)

I only care about weapons and armor. And all the eververse amor starts at 10. It's basically a skin to pour your good shit into.

You can end up buying them wjth dust but most of the interesting things cost between 1000-3500 dust which unless you grind 24/7 you won’t get enough to buy one, let alone multiple things

How much dust do you spend? I have like 5000 dust saved up over time since launch, just cause you get some in bright engrams, but most of it is from breaking down the junk/shaders I get that I don't need/want. You break down one legendary ship or sparrow, that's like 100-200 dust alone.

I guess I just don't use the store that much. I like the look of the new armor though, so I splurged 2000 dust on the chest and legs today.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
eververse hasn't been an issue for me other than the xp throttling which was straight ripping people off. I don't care about sparrows or or ships or any cosmetic stuff though, but some people do and I can respect that viewpoint.

I would compare this game's state with Diablo 3 when they realized the auction house and loot system at the time was a disaster and had to go. There are some parallels including excellent core gameplay and graphics/sound marred by poor design decisions and a weak story. well Blizzard didn't fix the cringy story... but they righted the ship system wise and turned it into a pretty good game. I'll certainly buy Diablo 4.

we'll see what Bungie can do to salvage things here.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
eververse hasn't been an issue for me other than the xp throttling which was straight ripping people off. I don't care about sparrows or or ships or any cosmetic stuff though, but some people do and I can respect that viewpoint.

I would compare this game's state with Diablo 3 when they realized the auction house and loot system at the time was a disaster and had to go. There are some parallels including excellent core gameplay and graphics/sound marred by poor design decisions and a weak story. well Blizzard didn't fix the cringy story... but they righted the ship system wise and turned it into a pretty good game. I'll certainly buy Diablo 4.

Well what Blizzard did for D3 is that they fired the game's director (and possibly some others) and from there they started to make Reaper of Souls, and that literally changed the game fundamentally. Reaper of Souls allowed them to essentially erase the original mistake of vanilla D3. While people really loved the welcome editions of The Taken King, it still had nothing on what Reaper of Souls did for D3. RoS literally saved D3 from certain doom.

What I'm getting at is, if you want to do what Blizzard did, fire the people in charge of this shit and people in who will make the game better.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Well what Blizzard did for D3 is that they fired the game's director (and possibly some others) and from there they started to make Reaper of Souls, and that literally changed the game fundamentally. Reaper of Souls allowed them to essentially erase the original mistake of vanilla D3. While people really loved the welcome editions of The Taken King, it still had nothing on what Reaper of Souls did for D3. RoS literally saved D3 from certain doom.

What I'm getting at is, if you want to do what Blizzard did, fire the people in charge of this **** and people in who will make the game better.

Now, imagine on top of all the release problems if Diablo 3 was a complete and utter re-skin of Diablo 2. Imagine it looked and played precisely the same as Diablo 2, but just had different dungeons, weapons, and locations.

Imagine how rightfully upset everybody would be.

I wonder, if that were the case, if hfboards would be the only place on earth defending it... or if hfboards only does that with Destiny 2.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Wow, what's more horse **** is having to wait until a Faction Rally to join a faction. That is messed up...

I have to admit that is annoying. The vendors are sitting their with their gear, ornaments, etc. but you can't do anything about it until the next Faction Rally. Speaking broadly, I know there has been a ton of backlash against Destiny 2 and there are some good reasons for that but I'm still having fun. It's a shame the HF clan has basically abandoned it though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Now, imagine on top of all the release problems if Diablo 3 was a complete and utter re-skin of Diablo 2. Imagine it looked and played precisely the same as Diablo 2, but just had different dungeons, weapons, and locations.

Imagine how rightfully upset everybody would be.

I wonder, if that were the case, if hfboards would be the only place on earth defending it... or if hfboards only does that with Destiny 2.

This has to be the strangest long-running platform I have seen on these boards.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have to admit that is annoying. The vendors are sitting their with their gear, ornaments, etc. but you can't do anything about it until the next Faction Rally. Speaking broadly, I know there has been a ton of backlash against Destiny 2 and there are some good reasons for that but I'm still having fun. It's a shame the HF clan has basically abandoned it though.
It's awful, but what is even worst is I've read they had one around Christmas which was postponed due to the backlash of trying to fix issues with micro-transitions by Curse of Osiris. That and how they did the shaders sort of sucks as well. I don't care if they want to people to buy Blight engrams, at least make the shaders one whole entity and then make them harder to get. How they did it has gotta to be one of the dumbest things I've seen in video games recently. And you don't even get a full amount of shaders either, some rewards come with 3, 5, 6 or 2 which I've seen as well.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
That hfboards is the only place on the entire planet that doesn't think it's weird that D2 was just a re-skin of D1? Entirely agree.

I'm starting to question your reading capabilities at this point.

There has been plenty of backlash about the game and most of it is warranted. None of it has been surrounded by the game being a standalone, unless you count the 24 hours that all of the Angry Joe fanboys were spewing his garbage.

I can't wait for your response which will probably be nothing but condescending garbage as usual.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Supposedly the second expansion will be called God of Mars, with a new location there and a plot centring on the warminds.

It’s going to be a bit weird that the raid content we’ll be getting will be back on leviathan though... how do you tie the two together?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I'm starting to question your reading capabilities at this point.

There has been plenty of backlash about the game and most of it is warranted. None of it has been surrounded by the game being a standalone, unless you count the 24 hours that all of the Angry Joe fanboys were spewing his garbage.

I can't wait for your response which will probably be nothing but condescending garbage as usual.

You've pretty much just admitted that you never frequent the Destiny subreddit or the Bungie forums.

I've actually linked hfboards to a few threads on the subreddit. People are baffled that you are the only people on the planet that were fine with D2 being a reskin of D1. The rest of all humanity in alliance thought it was outrageous.

Smoke

Aug 2, 2005
PA
You've pretty much just admitted that you never frequent the Destiny subreddit or the Bungie forums.

I've actually linked hfboards to a few threads on the subreddit. People are baffled that you are the only people on the planet that were fine with D2 being a reskin of D1. The rest of all humanity in alliance thought it was outrageous.

giphy.gif

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

I don't know why this can't be let go? I've been on both the Bungie boards and Reddit and I can assure you this isn't some overwhelming opinion or recurring post. The only thing on the the Bungie forums right now are the pitchfork mobs calling for Eververse's head. Reddit is a bit more diverse. I did manage to find a post where the OP actually offered a well put together opinion explaining this, and the reaction was pretty split. But that is one post.

It would be like calling every CoD that comes out just an expansion of the last one. The only difference is that this game very directly ties in to its predecessor, so you see the same enemies and similar weapon types and environments.

Do you see how you are the vast minority here when it comes to this opinion? That's pretty much how it is everywhere. Don't create a narrative that this is the only place where people don't feel the way you do. You are wrong. Go have your opinion, but quit trying to make it a truth.

I'm not defending the game, it certainly has its fair share of problems. Eververse does need to go. It is disgusting that Bungie and Activision and trying to milk their fanbase for all they are worth. The end game content is dried up. The DLC is lackluster and not worth $20. I play it on PC though because I enjoy it, but it doesn't mean I don't want change.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

You really need to stop lying and making things up.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I don't know why this can't be let go? I've been on both the Bungie boards and Reddit and I can assure you this isn't some overwhelming opinion or recurring post. The only thing on the the Bungie forums right now are the pitchfork mobs calling for Eververse's head. Reddit is a bit more diverse. I did manage to find a post where the OP actually offered a well put together opinion explaining this, and the reaction was pretty split. But that is one post.

It would be like calling every CoD that comes out just an expansion of the last one. The only difference is that this game very directly ties in to its predecessor, so you see the same enemies and similar weapon types and environments.

Do you see how you are the vast minority here when it comes to this opinion? That's pretty much how it is everywhere. Don't create a narrative that this is the only place where people don't feel the way you do. You are wrong. Go have your opinion, but quit trying to make it a truth.

I'm not defending the game, it certainly has its fair share of problems. Eververse does need to go. It is disgusting that Bungie and Activision and trying to milk their fanbase for all they are worth. The end game content is dried up. The DLC is lackluster and not worth $20. I play it on PC though because I enjoy it, but it doesn't mean I don't want change.

Oh my goodness. You can't just lie and deny that this was a VERY vocal complaint when D2 was launched. There's too much evidence to the contrary. I just google searched "destiny 2 looks like dlc site:www.reddit.com". Look how many MILLIONS of pages that come up. This feels even more like arguing with a flat earther at this point.

I get it. Some of you are embarrassed. You criticized my argument without doing your research first and realizing it's what EVERYBODY was saying. Now, instead of just admitting you're wrong, you've put your head in the sand and just ignore all the facts proving you wrong. It really is entertaining to watch. I don't even want you to stop arguing at this point. It's flat out hysterical.

And your COD comparison is nuts. This is entirely different game. I think a better comparison is WOW.

Imagine if WOW, after all their expansions, released a "sequel"? Imagine it looked precisely the same? Imagine it only made some quality of life changes, and simplified the end game? You really think people wouldn't be critical of that?

Precedent had already been set that Destiny expansions can add different number of players in pvp modes. That expansions can add new locations. Can change how primary/secondary weapons work. Can make huge changes to the end game grind. Can add new weapons and gear. And every other "change (lol)" that D2 made. So being that this could all be applied with expansions, and HAD been applied with expansions, most sane players thought a flat out sequel wouldn't just be another expansion that for some reason wiped the previous content.

And to be fair, that's how the VAST majority of players reacted. Hfboards is pretty much the ONLY place that didn't act that way.

Last edited:

Smoke

Aug 2, 2005
PA
Searches internet for a certain opinion.

Finds people that have said opinion.

Claims the entire internet has that opinion.

Sounds to me like a truther nutjob.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Oh my goodness. You can't just lie and deny that this was a VERY vocal complaint when D2 was launched. There's too much evidence to the contrary. I just google searched "destiny 2 looks like dlc site:www.reddit.com". Look how many MILLIONS of pages that come up. This feels even more like arguing with a flat earther at this point.

I get it. Some of you are embarrassed. You criticized my argument without doing your research first and realizing it's what EVERYBODY was saying. Now, instead of just admitting you're wrong, you've put your head in the sand and just ignore all the facts proving you wrong. It really is entertaining to watch. I don't even want you to stop arguing at this point. It's flat out hysterical.

And your COD comparison is nuts. This is entirely different game. I think a better comparison is WOW.

Imagine if WOW, after all their expansions, released a "sequel"? Imagine it looked precisely the same? Imagine it only made some quality of life changes, and simplified the end game? You really think people wouldn't be critical of that?

Precedent had already been set that Destiny expansions can add different number of players in pvp modes. That expansions can add new locations. Can change how primary/secondary weapons work. Can make huge changes to the end game grind. Can add new weapons and gear. And every other "change (lol)" that D2 made. So being that this could all be applied with expansions, and HAD been applied with expansions, most sane players thought a flat out sequel wouldn't just be another expansion that for some reason wiped the previous content.

And to be fair, that's how the VAST majority of players reacted. Hfboards is pretty much the ONLY place that didn't act that way.

Even if what you say is true what does it say about you that in what is by and large a dead thread you keep resurrecting the same tired argument that is completely one sided?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Destiny 2 is bad because they made too many critical changes to the game, both in terms of gameplay and in terms of systems. Anybody who thinks the changes between the two are minimal is either an idiot or barely played the first game. If it were the exact same every hardcore Destiny 1 streamer/YouTuber would still be playing it, but they aren't. People who played Destiny 1 up until like a month before Destiny 2 came out don't give a shit about this game anymore, because they changed it so severely for the worse. The changes to this game legit have streamers and YouTubers going "well I guess I need to get a job or something." It's the thing that makes D2 even more unfortunate than D1; at least in Destiny 1 they were able to add content over time to dig themselves out of the hole, whereas even if they add content to Destiny 2, nobody will really care thanks to the game play changes they made. God, I wish this game was just a Destiny 1 expansion, but only because the gameplay would still be good if that were true.

But just generally, the (repeated) argument that they should have just left Destiny 1's content in the game with no regard for the physics and weapon changes is about as ignorant as it can possibly get. Mantling alone would probably break most of Destiny 1's terrain without an overhaul of those assets, and even if they didn't do the graphical updates to that old content on consoles, they'd still have to get it all running on PC from scratch anyways. From a development perspective it would be close to making two games no matter what, and it's not surprising that a community as petulant and entitled as Reddit wouldn't understand something like that.

This isn't a copy + paste situation of putting the old (useless) content into the new game, especially given the changes to the development tools and pipeline that they had to make after D1. That's not how programming works. You don't just drag the "Venus" sub-folder from the Destiny 1 folder to the Destiny 2 folder. It's well documented how f***ed the development structure of that first game was from a tech standpoint and they'd have been stupid to stick with it. The fact that anybody would be surprised or offended that the core aesthetic and (very general, albeit noticeably worse) game feel would be retained between Destiny 1 to Destiny 2 is... concerning.

I get the feeling that all of this probably stems from Destiny 1's original over promises of how long that game's lifespan was going to be, but those were promises that were made before they realized how big of a mess Destiny 1 was from a technical perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Exactly. people would be HAPPIER if this was a "re-skin" at this point.

Thinking the opposite indicates a rather dramatic misread of the entire situation. Baffling, one might say.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not really getting your guys' critiques about this game except for the paid transactions. Destiny type of games will always lack content until a year or so later. I think Destiny 2 released with a huge amount of content compared to Destiny, but there is always that "wall" you'll hit where there isn't a point in playing it until the next DLC comes out. Crucially the seasons and how the exotic armour and guns you get now will be useless in spring in regards to their light levels. I've gotten to 300 light playing just the vanilla and zero raids, but I think I am done until Spring when the second expansion pack comes out. I don't know if I am capped out in my light sense, but every gun I will get now will be pointless in crucible so it is pointless to play the game for me.

Even though I haven't bought Curse of Osiris yet, I am feeling that wall personally. I got a ton of other games to play so I think I will take a break, but the game mechanics of Destiny 2 rock. The gameplay, campaign, and locations have all been a huge step forward over the first Destiny. I do dislike how pointless and insanely hard it is to find the elements of the planets such as dusklight and datalattice (had to farm Phaseglass and that was beyond ****ing brutal). While the quests, flashpoints, events, and side missions have all been well organized compared to the original game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad