Recalled/Assigned: Despres recalled after Letang injury | Bortuzzo sent to WBS conditioning assignment

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Per Penguis twitter account. This seems to signal that Letang will play, though its still uncertain.

------------------
MOD
Just a public service announcement for those who haven't been on the board for a few days:

Despres was sent down because the roster is at the 23-man limit and he is the only defenseman who is exempt from waivers. The alternative would have been to place Bortuzzo or someone else on waivers and lose him for nothing.

That 23-man limit, however, disappears after the trade deadline, and Despres will be able to rejoin the team at that point.

Likewise, if Malkin is ready to return before the roster limit is lifted, expect Bennett to be temporarily reassigned for the exact same reason.

Thank you all in advance for not losing your minds over this,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Mod Squad

Last edited by a moderator:

nTsplnk*

:laugh:

Can't wait for the overreaction on here.

"SEE! MURRAY PUSHED DOWN DESPRESGASUS!"

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
numbers game. After the roster limit is lifted after the deadline he will be back. Im expecting Bennett to get the same threatment when Malkin gets back from IR (if a trade hasnt happened yet).

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
They had no choice, they're not going to subject Eaton/Engo/Bortuzzo to waivers. Stinks not to have Elmer for the next week, but he probably would've only played in half the games from now till then anyhow, based on how the lineup has been lately.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Outrage. Burn down cec! Devour shero's soul! Bylsma's head on a platter!

Sjb141

Dec 11, 2008
Thank you for adding in the title it's temporary (either until someone is traded, injured or 04/4).

...there will still be people freaking out though haha.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
helen-lovejoy.jpg

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
Will he play in an AHL game? I wonder if he can show an improvement in his overall game from what he learnt from being in the pro lineup.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Is there a source that he'll be back after the deadline or are we just making an assumption?

You know what happens when you make assumptions. You make an ass out of "u" and "mptions."

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I've seen some conflicting reports on exactly when the roster limit is lifted. But the language from the CBA (the old CBA, technically, but I can't imagine this has changed) says that it is lifted "on the date of each season's Trade Deadline."

It's only relevant in that the Pens have a game on the 3rd. The way I read it, Despres (and perhaps Bennett later on) would be able to be recalled and play that night.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Is there a source that he'll be back after the deadline or are we just making an assumption?

You know what happens when you make assumptions. You make an ass out of "u" and "mptions."
Shero said yesterday that all nine NHL defensemen will be on the roster after the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad