Despite his inconsistent play the last few years, is Carey Price still Canada's first choice goalie?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
You are being disingenuous. His stats quite clearly are not off the charts. If you only include the good ones, they might be, but why would you do that? His stats in recent seasons are very mediocre. Why don’t those count?

They are certainly not off the chart (outside a short peak from 2013 to 2017 or so), but Canadian goaltender in general do not tend to.

If you take from is worst season in 2017-2018 to now in the regular season, among active Canadian goaltender he is #4 in wins and middle of the pack in save percentage, #1 in the playoff during that time frame too.

I am not sure you say they do not count, those mediocre regular season year's were all included and counted in my message.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In other words, don’t use his stats in recent seasons, which are a much bigger sample, because it only matters when he plays well.
I already addressed this. In recent seasons he's been behind terrible teams. You basically ran away from the conversation.

And I've shown you what happens when he gets hurt. His teams drown. This isn't some made up narrative. It's black and white. I showed you what happened THIS season without him. Without Price in the lineup the team is a lottery club.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A person above just posted his stats from 2017 to now in the NHL playoffs.

Then went back to 2010.

Price's stats hold up well no matter what tine frame you want to use.

And yet you're the one calling people disengenuous

How about the regular season the last 3-4 years?

We don’t need to keep going back and forth. The point is that his stats are not off the charts using the stats that are most relevant towards assessing NHL players. Anyone can cherry pick a sample that favors a player, but you should make that clear.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
They are certainly not off the chart (outside a short peak from 2013 to 2017 or so), but Canadian goaltender in general do not tend to.

If you take from is worst season in 2017-2018 to now in the regular season, among active Canadian goaltender he is #4 in wins and middle of the pack in save percentage, #1 in the playoff during that time frame too.

I am not sure you say they do not count, those mediocre regular season year's were all included and counted in my message.

So are you admitting that he’s been pretty average/mediocre?

I’m not exactly sure what you are asking of me. I’ve merely pushed back on claims that he’s actually doing great. He quite clearly isn’t.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I already addressed this. In recent seasons he's been behind terrible teams. You basically ran away from the conversation.

And I've shown you what happens when he gets hurt. His teams drown. This isn't some made up narrative. It's black and white. I showed you what happened THIS season without him. Without Price in the lineup the team is a lottery club.

Sorry, your excuses get tiring to read. I don’t agree with them. I think they are bogus. I don’t see much to discuss.

You think Price is actually doing great and it’s the fault of the defense, even though there’s no evidence for that. Every fan base uses this excuse when they don’t want to place blame on the goalie. It rarely applies to the extent fans suggest. Maybe with a historically bad defense.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
So Price doesn’t check all the boxes...

Doesn’t mean that he’s not the one checking the most boxes.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
So are you admitting that he’s been pretty average/mediocre?

I’m not exactly sure what you are asking of me. I’ve merely pushed back on claims that he’s actually doing great. He quite clearly isn’t.

If you mean in the regular season between 2017 and 2021 well yes that is almost trivially true, but that a more specific statement that he has been pretty mediocre which is a less precise statement.

Because in the last 10 year's he is not mediocre, in the playoff during the time above he is arguably the best, he has been widely inconsistent outside is peak window, but the argument put above for why he would be a consideration to start for Canada outside is near perfect track record with team's Canada, would be is recent playoff record, where he does seem able to bring it very often.

Reactions: RSPens

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Lmao, open your eyes bud. Then you'll see the truth.

My eyes are opened ;as much has Scheifele buuuud

arguing that Campbell, who showed oONLY 1 year of really good performance to start before Price (who showed to be great in EVERY importants tournaments he played in his career) tells me enough.
We seen a lot of goalies being hot for a ratter short period of time and coming back to earth .
Price showed a lot over so much longer, he is the starter before Campbell atm, period

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
My eyes are opened ;as much has Scheifele buuuud

arguing that Campbell, who showed oONLY 1 year of really good performance to start before Price (who showed to be great in EVERY importants tournaments he played in his career) tells me enough.
We seen a lot of goalies being hot for a ratter short period of time .
Price showed a lot over so much longer, he is the starter before Campbell atm, period
Clearly they aren't cuz your punctuation is not like off, it's unreadable lmao. I think it's a closed case regarding your eye sight.

As for Campbell vs Price, tell me which one you would rather have at their cap hit. Exactly, gg no re.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Clearly they aren't cuz your punctuation is not like off, it's unreadable lmao. I think it's a closed case regarding your eye sight.

As for Campbell vs Price, tell me which one you would rather have at their cap hit. Exactly, gg no re.
We are not discussing the contract , but who’s the best goalie atm.

And there is a reason Campbell is paid peanuts. It’s because he was a second string goalie till this year.

Adding the fact that Campbell lost against our poor offense and that we won with Price facing elite players (AM, WN , MARNER).

It’s just undeniable

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
Nylander and Marner are not elite lmao.
We are not discussing the contract , but who’s the best goalie atm.

And there is a reason Campbell is paid peanuts. It’s because he was a second string goalie till this year.

Adding the fact that Campbell lost against our poor offense and that we won with Price facing elite players (MM, WN , MARNER).

It’s just undeniable
In a vacuum, Price is probably better than Campbell sure. As for Nylander and Marner, they are not elite lmao.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Nylander and Marner are not elite lmao.

In a vacuum, Price is probably better than Campbell sure. As for Nylander and Marner, they are not elite lmao.
Well, Marner is paid like an elite player and probably is in rs.

Price shutdown a really capable offense in the leafs

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Marner is paid like one, but he plays like a little bitch and is a locker room cancer. He's not elite. He's an all-star but he's not elite.
Fine.
I am glad you recognize that price is better than Campbell.
It was obvious .

you opened your eyes. Good job :thumbu:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I don't disagree with you, but, he's the only 10 million player in the second round. So perhaps giving anyone 10 million is a bad play not just goalies.

True but that's right now. I'm not sure what the goal is of Habs management if it's ocassioanlly to win one round or what specifically.

Having 10 million to a goalie in a few years when he's 37 doesn't seem like a good move.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Price isn’t good though. It’s proven. Any NHL goalie can have a good stretch. Playing well for one or two playoff series means almost nothing if you can’t perform the majority of games you play.

Also, regular season NHL hockey is a higher level than international hockey.

You Sir know absolutely nothing about goaltending. The reason price plays bad a lot is because of his age and injury history. If he doesn't play every Habs game he wouldn't have had these issues and been better. Look at his success in the playoffs every year which is much better than in thy regular season and correlate that to the elimination play of the Olympics. If price is in shape come Olympics he's a lock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad