Despite his inconsistent play the last few years, is Carey Price still Canada's first choice goalie?

PK Soupcan

Apr 3, 2013
Good thing nobody on these boards is in charge of these decisions :laugh:. Price 16-0 in international play and has been absolutely godlike in the playoffs this year when it counts. There is absolutely zero chance he doesn't start for Canada if he's healthy. Easiest decision the coaching staff will have to make.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
I know these things a cyclical, but it's not a good sign when your top two goalies are 36 and 33.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I've been discussing his play, which there isn't much bad to discuss, for years. Was I probably discussing, in positive terms, his first games in the league? I probably was. However, thats very different from what that person said.

If you want to make an accusatory claim against someone, be prepared to back it up. That guy obviously wasn't. I didn't bother him. He comes in here and attacks me with something he has no clue if its actually true, and then when asked for receipts, he makes excuses for why he can't give them. It seems like he got mad that I wasn't discussing Price in the terms he wanted, so he tried to attack me, not my opinion on Price. This is the extent some go to in defending this guy. Instead of making an argument against why we should judge Price differently than every other player in the league, they make claims that they don't know if they are true, but they hope it will stick and can discredit the person who made the obvious points.

I replied to you earlier in this thread. You ignore it. Post#111. You made a nonsense claim (that Price is only in consideration for Canada's #1 goalie because of the Toronto series - as if he wasn't the obvious #1 choice beforehand too) - and then ignored someone responding to you, as you do in so many other threads.

Post#214 in this thread - I responded to three other posters who were also accusing you of running away from an argument when things don't go your way. I told them it's pretty typical. As far as I know - you still haven't responded to either of those posts either.

So yeah - the bolded is the biggest case of the pot calling the kettle black if I've ever seen one. We're only having this conversation because we're accusing you of not responding to posters who reply to you.

As to you claiming Shesterkin should be in consideration for #1 goalie in the world after his 9 game rookie start - well, you did. And no I don't care enough to go search through 47 000 posts of your history to find the posts where you did so. I already pointed this out to you in a previous thread a few months back - and huge shocker - you failed to even acknowledge my response. So not about to do it again.

In finish - Carey Price is the best goalie in the world in my opinion. All of his peers know it (they vote him as such every year) - and he's the #1 favorite for the Conn Smythe trophy as of today. Still lots of hockey left to play, so we'll see how far he goes.

Staying topic - there's more than a 99.99% certainty that Carey Price would be named the #1 goalie for Canada if the Olympics started today. Everyone else but you in this thread seems to acknowledge that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I replied to you earlier in this thread. You ignore it. Post#111. You made a nonsense claim (that Price is only in consideration for Canada's #1 goalie because of the Toronto series - as if he wasn't the obvious #1 choice beforehand too) - and then ignored someone responding to you, as you do in so many other threads.

Post#214 in this thread - I responded to three other posters who were also accusing you of running away from an argument when things don't go your way. I told them it's pretty typical. As far as I know - you still haven't responded to either of those posts either.

So yeah - the bolded is the biggest case of the pot calling the kettle black if I've ever seen one. We're only having this conversation because we're accusing you of not responding to posters who reply to you.

As to you claiming Shesterkin should be in consideration for #1 goalie in the world after his 9 game rookie start - well, you did. And no I don't care enough to go search through 47 000 posts of your history to find the posts where you did so. I already pointed this out to you in a previous thread a few months back - and huge shocker - you failed to even acknowledge my response. So not about to do it again.

In finish - Carey Price is the best goalie in the world in my opinion. All of his peers know it (they vote him as such every year) - and he's the #1 favorite for the Conn Smythe trophy as of today. Still lots of hockey left to play, so we'll see how far he goes.

Staying topic - there's more than a 99.99% certainty that Carey Price would be named the #1 goalie for Canada if the Olympics started today. Everyone else but you in this thread seems to acknowledge that.

Don’t twist this around. You made a claim, you were asked to back it up, and made an excuse why you couldn’t. You took the thread off topic. You don’t get the right to tell others to stay on topic when pressed on your claims. And don’t pass off your claims on others. You were the only one who attacked me. I’ve had disagreements with others in this thread about Price. That’s not your contribution to this thread. You attacked me, not my opinion about Price.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I mean he is playing insanely well at the moment so if the Olympics were to start now? Yeah he'd be the starter.

UED

May 2, 2021
He should be, but he'll probably go back to not trying in the regular season and have really bad stats by the time they select their team. But if they invite him to training camp, and he puts in any effort there, and the people in charge don't ignore it, he'll probably end up the starter.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Price is outduelling Hellebuyck right now. He's smoking hot.

If not him, than who?

Only MAF can be uttered in the same sentence, and he still not have the international resume that Price has.

He's the best goaltender of his generation, and obviously, Price >>> Lundqvist too.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price is the default choice. MAF will come in if he's on fire and Price is struggling but otherwise it's Price's to lose.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I know...sample size...but how is this even a question? Price is the starting goalie for Canada end of discussion.

Reactions: User9992

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I think you bring 2 vets like Price and Fleury, and a top young guy like Hart (whichever young guy has the best year).

Go with the best goalie, + bring the guy who might goal at the next Olympics

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad