Despite his inconsistent play the last few years, is Carey Price still Canada's first choice goalie?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Dude does seem to step it up in important games, and when he's on there aren't a whole lot of goalies that can match his level.

Or would Canada decide to look elsewhere for their starting goalie in best-on-best play?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Three factors makes me say yes, he should start for Canada.

1) Price allowed 2 goals during the whole 2014 Olympics tournament. TWO GOALS. DURING THE WHOLE BEST-ON-BEST TOURNAMENT.

2) Unfortunately Canada doesn't have a whole lot besides Price. Fleury, sure, but he's actually older than Price, and has a much poorer track record internationally. No real reason to go with Fleury instead of Price. Holtby is obviously over the hill. There are a bunch of younger goalies like Hart and Blackwood, but they havent been good enough that you can justify not going with Pricer

3) His first round against the Leafs. I mean sure you can argue that he has been inconsistent in the last couple of years and has had some pretty bad stretches. But he's had a ton of injuries and the team ahead of him has been bad. If he is healthy, focused and playing behind Canada's defense, he's basically impossible to beat, as we saw.

What happens in the beginning of next season will ne very telling. If Price has a meltdown, I could see them going with someone else. But let's be real, the Olympic tournament is another beast than the regular season. Once they arrive in China, it's a whole new ball game. I honestly don't see anything other than injury keeping Price out of the starter's net for Canada.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Every single season (even when not having his best season) he's voted #1 best goalie in the world by his peers. His reputation is as strong as it gets.

Price is 100% Canada's starting goalie if there was an Olympic tournament starting today. No doubt whatsoever

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Outside of Binnington & I guess MAF.... who else is there? Theres a lack of options and honestly with how stacked Canada is the goalie isn't very relevant a lot of the time.

Reactions: Streetsamurai

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Nope, never was and never will be. Just some Canadienes wishful thinking.
But.. he actually was...?

Carey-Price-gold-medal-e1393178955639.jpg

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No, he's not a top 3 Canadian goalie. But if Canada wants him to be their first goalie, I'm not arguing. It'll give other teams a chance to win.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
No, he's not a top 3 Canadian goalie. But if Canada wants him to be their first goalie, I'm not arguing. It'll give other teams a chance to win.

How can you even say that with a straight face? Carey Price's last 3 appearances for Canada:

WJC U20:
.961% and 1.14 GAA (6-0 record)

2014 Olympics Games:
.972% and 0.59 GAA (5-0 record)

World Cup:
.957% and 1.40 GAA (5-0 record)

If your jaw doesn't drop to the floor after seeing these numbers there is something wrong with you.

So you think the goalie who has a 16-0 record on the three biggest international hockey stages and has allowed like 7 goals in total will give other teams a better chance to win? OK bud

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How can you even say that with a straight face? Carey Price's last 3 appearances for Canada:

WJC U20:
.961% and 1.14 GAA (6-0 record)

2014 Olympics Games:
.972% and 0.59 GAA (5-0 record)

World Cup:
.957% and 1.40 GAA (5-0 record)

If your jaw doesn't drop to the floor after seeing these numbers there is something wrong with you.

So you think the goalie who has a 16-0 record on the three biggest international hockey stages and has allowed like 7 goals in total will give other teams a better chance to win? OK bud

I’ll go with the bigger NHL sample. I think that’s more predictive of how he’ll play. Also, his record and goals allowed is less impressive than you make it seem. He plays for the overwhelming best team internationally. When it’s in a league where there’s parity, we see he doesn’t play anywhere near as well. All Canadian goalies in the NHL should have much better international numbers than NHL numbers.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
It’s not a good group of goalies right now. I’d probably say Fleury, Kuemper, and Binnington.
Yeah...so one good year of Binnington before his drop off to somewhat mediocrity has him above Price? One great season after being replaced in the playoffs last year and years of playoff collapse has Fleury ahead of Price? Kuemper? really? what has he proved? Regular season NHL hockey does not compare to playoff hockey, or the Olympics. Price has done a lot more with a lot less than most Canadian goalies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah...so one good year of Binnington before his drop off to somewhat mediocrity has him above Price? One great season after being replaced in the playoffs last year and years of playoff collapse has Fleury ahead of Price? Kuemper? really? what has he proved? Regular season NHL hockey does not compare to playoff hockey, or the Olympics. Price has done a lot more with a lot less than most Canadian goalies.

Price isn’t good though. It’s proven. Any NHL goalie can have a good stretch. Playing well for one or two playoff series means almost nothing if you can’t perform the majority of games you play.

Also, regular season NHL hockey is a higher level than international hockey.

Shawnathon

Jul 25, 2012
I’ll go with the bigger NHL sample. I think that’s more predictive of how he’ll play. Also, his record and goals allowed is less impressive than you make it seem. He plays for the overwhelming best team internationally. When it’s in a league where there’s parity, we see he doesn’t play anywhere near as well. All Canadian goalies in the NHL should have much better international numbers than NHL numbers.

I recognize your username. You’re the guy who hates Price because you believe he has no business being mentioned near Lundqvist. It’s fine to think that, but don’t let your biased get carried away on other topics.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Price isn’t good though. It’s proven. Any NHL goalie can have a good stretch. Playing well for one or two playoff series means almost nothing if you can’t perform the majority of games you play.

Also, regular season NHL hockey is a higher level than international hockey.
Proven? So he just beat the Leafs in the playoffs, he beat the Pens last year, he has a career of solid international play where he has not lost a game...but he hasn't proven anything? Yet you seem to think Fleury, Binnington and Kuemper have proved more? Obviously you haven't been watching Fleury's career. I love the guy but he has cost his teams in playoffs and internationally too many times for him to be the #1.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad