GDT: Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures: Devils @ Islanders, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
exactly. my niece is 5 and we can only do a few games but if they had more it would be great. hopefully they realize that for next season

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
exactly. my niece is 5 and we can only do a few games but if they had more it would be great. hopefully they realize that for next season

This year is especially terrible. Opening day and the game against Vegas are the only ones he's definitely going to. I'll probably take him to one night game and then regret it once it's a close game in the 3rd period and he turns into a cranky monster.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I feel like they used to do tons of day games back in the day. Those were the games I always got to go to when I was younger.

I miss Trading Card Day, that was my favorite. :laugh:

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Go to the 7:10 mark of the highlights, it's there in all it's glory. :)

Oh yeah I remember being big time impressed by that rush. I believe the word I used at the time was "slippery".

Whether it's a quick upshift in gears, an opportunistic burst of straight line speed for a zone entry to get the puck in deep, or his pivot work down low...the kid is just SO elusive.

Camille the Eel

I thought Noesen's forecheck, blowing the Islander out and taking the puck with tons of time to wait for the guys coming in late, was the play that turned the game around. That one play by Noesen changed the game.

Usually see that against us (Barkov knocking Severson ten feet off the puck on opening night 2016 for example).

Noesen is one of our best players actually. A play like that a a crucial time changes the entire course of a game. If we don't take the lead and maybe they get a bounce at our end, the entire story could be different.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
You have to transfer when taking the subway too. It’s not like Atlantic Ave is a major subway station and there are multiple lines running through it. Belmont would really be easier from the city because all you need to do to take the subway to any LIRR station because most lines will run through it.

Nooooooooope, this is just very very incorrect. 11 different subway lines stop within a two minute walk from Barclays. Atlantic Ave has the BDNQR2345 stopping there, the Fulton Street G, and the Lafayette C train stop.

From Penn you can get straight on the 2,3, and C without even going above ground. If you walk a block from Penn, you can get the on B,D,N,Q, and R trains (Which is also the same station where the 33rd Street PATH stops). The 2, 3, B,D,N,and Q all run express during Rush hour, so you'll have maybe 4ish stops and about 15-20 minutes of actual train ride, and you'll only have to wait a few minutes for the train at rush hour (When most of the games are played). LIRR trains will run once every twetnty-ish minutes, and they likely aren't going to be 24 hours.

Also that LIRR ride will cost more than a subway ride.

There's definitely benefits to them moving to Belmont, but public transit certainly ain't one of them.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
As a fan of Djurgården in Sweden who are known for their loud fans I think that the Devils fans are really good compared to the rest of the NHL. You guys might be fewer but you are alot louder!

As the fuller the arena gets, the louder Devils fans are. If you go back to some of the 2011-12 playoff runs or even in the midst of that 2010-11 22-3-2 stretch, the building was loud.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
havent followed this thread but did @Bleedred go on a 5 paragraph rant on how Kinkaid sucks and is not a NHL capable goaltender?

His save % is now north of .900 and has 2 quality starts in a row (should also have two wins in a row)

Meanwhile Cory has another one of his crap stretches allowing 21 goals in 5 games and not making timely saves. It's just unacceptable considering that many on here have had him around the top 5-7 goalies in the league.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
havent followed this thread but did @Bleedred go on a 5 paragraph rant on how Kinkaid sucks and is not a NHL capable goaltender?

His save % is now north of .900 and has 2 quality starts in a row (should also have two wins in a row)

Meanwhile Cory has another one of his crap stretches allowing 21 goals in 5 games and not making timely saves. It's just unacceptable considering that many on here have had him around the top 5-7 goalies in the league.

So Kinkaid’s .901 save percentage should be looked at as a positive thing? I’m not sure how I’m supposed to take that point.

Full disclosure, I think Kinkaid is a fine backup goalie.

Reactions: Bleedred

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
So Kinkaid’s .901 save percentage should be looked at as a positive thing? I’m not sure how I’m supposed to take that point.

Full disclosure, I think Kinkaid is a fine backup goalie.

Hmm no I never said that but bleedred would just go non stop on how Kinkaid was abysmal because it was below .900. He's been much better as of late and if he has 3 more positive starts of .930+ he'd be right around his career averages.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

read some of the garbage posted by multiple people after kinkaid allowed a breakaway goal from the islanders goal scoring leader, which the devils allowed a minute into a game kinkaid was not planning on playing anyway. it’s ridiculous, but what can you do.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If anyone is going to compare Cory to Keith you’ll lose that debate based on the totality of this year or their careers. And yes Keith was better than Cory last year which is inexcusable for Cory.

But just comparing the last few starts is cherry picking. I don’t care what team you play for, being below .900 (really below .910) is bad for any goalie these days - starter or backup. Keith has played well the last couple of games he’s had. Can’t we just leave it at that and be glad he’s picked it up - perhaps Shero trading for Lack lit a fire under him - instead of going full Pittsburgh Steeler taking premature bows?

Reactions: Bleedred

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
im not comparing cory to keith. im comparing corys expectations and where they're at and keiths expectations and where they're at. @Bleedred is a cory apologist and a keith hater.

i think they've both been slightly underperforming this season but there is more importance to the team when Cory is the one doing it. His last 5 games have been pretty crap. The team has a lot to do with it but he needs to be the one to right the ship. This time it was Kinkaid.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
im not comparing cory to keith. im comparing corys expectations and where they're at and keiths expectations and where they're at. @Bleedred is a cory apologist and a keith hater.

i think they've both been slightly underperforming this season but there is more importance to the team when Cory is the one doing it. His last 5 games have been pretty crap. The team has a lot to do with it but he needs to be the one to right the ship. This time it was Kinkaid.
Try not to leave red marks on your chest over your Kinkaid praise.

He’s had two good games and has a .901 save percentage on the season. I’m not a Kinkaid hater, I’m a hater of bad goaltending, which is what Kinkaid has been this year (and two out of four years in his career) and that includes the last two games which were good. He went from non-NHL caliber this year to poor NHL caliber with last night’s game.

You want me to eat crow on this? Let’s see some more good starts from him.

And you’re barking up the wrong tree trying to use his last two game sample size and Cory’s last 5 games to trash Cory and prop up Kinkaid.

Kinkaid has had more bad games than good ones this season....

You’re beating your chest and calling me out for trashing a .901 goaltender? Guy has still been putrid this year, even though the last two games were good. And I’m supposed to eat crow on a .901 goalie? Really?

So can I call you out if he starts against the Caps and gets lit up for 5 goals? I’ll make sure to link you the next time he plays like shit.

This is actually beyond ridiculous and almost nonsensical. He’s had 10 starts this year only 3 or 4 of them have been good. The other 6 were mediocre to horrific. And 11 of the 34 goals he’s allowed this season, including the goal he allowed last night have been stoppable. That’s almost 33% of his goals allowed. That explains the save percentage barely above 90%. Really premature to be hyping him up.

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Posts like these are exactly why goaltenders like Jake Allen and Martin Jones are overrated as f*** and exactly why almost every starting goalie in the league is referred to as “he’s a good goalie”.

When we start to champion a goaltender that has played less than mediocre on the season (and for 2 out of 4 seasons in his NHL career) because of his last two starts and start branding people who critique this level of poor goaltending as a hater of said goaltender.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
If anyone is going to compare Cory to Keith you’ll lose that debate based on the totality of this year or their careers. And yes Keith was better than Cory last year which is inexcusable for Cory.

But just comparing the last few starts is cherry picking. I don’t care what team you play for, being below .900 (really below .910) is bad for any goalie these days - starter or backup. Keith has played well the last couple of games he’s had. Can’t we just leave it at that and be glad he’s picked it up - perhaps Shero trading for Lack lit a fire under him - instead of going full Pittsburgh Steeler taking premature bows?

There are many reasons why you can't fairy compare the 2. The biggest is ones a starter, ones a backup with limited playing time. 2. They play different styles and thus have different strong points, and don't play alike.

Goalie stats imo are overrated and don't give an accurate picture of the goalie. If you look at what's constituted as a shot, it ecompases alot. For example,
A shot to the chest
Deflections
Shot that hits a player and goes in
Screened Shots
Shots with clear vision
You get the idea... Some of those shots are easy, some are not. All are counted as shots and will affect the stats. If a goalie faces alot of screend, deflections, etc, his stats will be worse then the same goalie who faces less of those and mostly the easy shots to the chest/glove, non screened shot. Just like if a qb goes 17/17 with 75 passing yards, his pass rating looks great...but on the flip side you're not too good if you only throw for 75 yards on 17 passes.

Not aruging for any goalie, just saying that goalie stats are not the best way to judge a goalie.. look at the shots they faced, and the goals let in....that tells the true story.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
Posts like these are exactly why goaltenders like Jake Allen and Martin Jones are overrated as **** and exactly why almost every starting goalie in the league is referred to as “he’s a good goalie”.

When we start to champion a goaltender that has played less than mediocre on the season (and for 2 out of 4 seasons in his NHL career) because of his last two starts and start branding people who critique this level of poor goaltending as a hater of said goaltender.
I have no idea what your point is

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Posts like these are exactly why goaltenders like Jake Allen and Martin Jones are overrated as **** and exactly why almost every starting goalie in the league is referred to as “he’s a good goalie”.

Goalie stats are over rated... don't tell the whole picture. Look at the shots they faced and the ones let's in... thats how I judge a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->