Desmith Nominated for Masterton

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm sure much of the voting happened before his game, but how about Lagace? :laugh: Played 9 AHL games all year, gets first NHL win in 3 years with a shutout.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm fine with this thought process (Don't agree with it, but this forum isn't really the place to discuss that.), but just seems like a really misjudge to have him elected to this award given the current climate in the organization with the other accusations.

I just think it is a failure by the organization, and Ceci probably deserves it more tbh.
It strikes me as tone deaf.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Redemption is a thing... people can change and its key to give them the ability to overcome mistakes no matter how critically bad and recognize when they do....

Cancel culture is dangerous and problematic... call out the douches and punish them, but recognize when they right their path

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
There were several better candidates on the team.

Doesn't matter anyway, Lindblom should win this in a walk ...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, as @SomeDude points out though. It is Rossi and Yohe lol.
I won't offer a strong opinion on the particular subject matter in question. I'll only say that sometimes things aren't so black and white. It's probably a matter that shouldn't continue to be brought up by the local media. I don't think it helps anything.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Redemption is a thing... people can change and its key to give them the ability to overcome mistakes no matter how critically bad and recognize when they do....

Cancel culture is dangerous and problematic... call out the douches and punish them, but recognize when they right their path
The dude is raking in tons of money to play pro hockey, pretty sure he's not being punished or "canceled" in any form.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
DeSmith nominated for overcoming the incredible difficulties of misplacing your passport.

They’ll write stories of his heroism in the history books.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Sure.

Do they deserve to be nominated for an award that is about perseverance when they created their own mishap through ignorant actions though?

The award is for him getting dumped down in the minors and him coming back up to do well.

It has nothing to do with the college allegations. Quit trying to push a personal agenda narrative.

Reactions: Beauner

Fordy

May 28, 2008
The dude is raking in tons of money to play pro hockey, pretty sure he's not being punished or "canceled" in any form.
i would think my reputation is also important? they're all complete nobodies who've never done anything, but i just googled his name earlier and it's people personally attacking him for something he never even asked for. of course, they all make this exact same argument because they enjoy playing gossip games and feeling holier than thou. "he makes a whole million dollars a year so i'm entitled to say the worst thing i can about him and misrepresent whatever i want". some of these people are just straight up lying as well

Last edited:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Dumbest award ever. Basically they just give it to whoever they feel the most sorry for. "You had cancer? Congratulations, here's a useless trophy!" "Oh, your kid died? Well replace him with this beautiful award! And unlike your kid, it never talks back!" "You were a hopeless drunk but are now sober? Well, here's something you can pawn for booze when you inevitably fall off the wagon again!"

DeSmith is an odd nomination, but Dubnyk won it because he used to suck and then didn't suck anymore, so I guess there's precedence.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Dumbest award ever. Basically they just give it to whoever they feel the most sorry for. "You had cancer? Congratulations, here's a useless trophy!" "Oh, your kid died? Well replace him with this beautiful award! And unlike your kid, it never talks back!" "You were a hopeless drunk but are now sober? Well, here's something you can pawn for booze when you inevitably fall off the wagon again!"

DeSmith is an odd nomination, but Dubnyk won it because he used to suck and then didn't suck anymore, so I guess there's precedence.

It's just a way to recognize someone who went through a tough time and managed to keep going :dunno:

The only issue I have with the award is the way it's given out to exactly one player per year. I don't see the point in that limitation, let the voters award it to several players if they want one year, or none the next year if there isn't really any particularly amazing story that year. It's a little weird to me that you could have a situation where a few players return from horrible tragedies or illnesses and the voters basically have to decide which one was worse or more impressive to come back from.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Again, the writers pick it. At least know who to be upset at.

Maybe the league should have each team nominate a columnist that has overcome a fundamental lack of hockey knowledge to become almost tolerable; or they could nominate a columnist they most despise.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I know it's a tough conversation and there is no way to dive deep because this IS a hockey forum, but at some point you have to let the penalty be served and hope the person comes out on the other side in a great way. From what it looks like, that happened. I don't have any further data/info to say this guy has to live in guilt 24/7/365. Hopefully he takes steps every single day to be a better man, serve his community, and be there for his family. That's all we can ask of one another.

So if this shows signs that he is doing that, I support the guy and hope he continues to grow. It will never make the initial situation good or okay, but if time has been served, I have to hope the person has become better and understands how important it is to improve.

I was a bad person so I can't like posts anymore but I can't like and promote this post enough.

Reactions: ColePens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->