NFL: Deshaun Watson sexual assault allegations

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Demanding a trade months after signing a long-term deal is very poor leadership. I don't care what you may or may not think about the Texans organization. You don't demand a trade right after signing long-term. Poor professionalism.

I also have thought he has been overrated as a player. What has he ever accomplished? I don't care what some of his statistics are. Statistics for a quarterback only tell 25% of the story. If he was such an elite QB, his presence alone would lead to a better than 4-12 record.
It honestly depends. If ownership directly lied to you, then I'd say its within your rights. Granted, I do think if any player requests a trade unless they are well-respected team legend (say if Joe Thomas asked out during the 1-15 year to go to a contender) any No-trade should be voided.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Big Ben was "lucky" all of that stuff happened when it did. If he pulled those shenanigans now he would have faced much harsher punishment probably in almost every way.

I think some of you are misremembering how the NFL reacted to that. Ben's issues never involved 20+ women accusing him of something at once. In fact the first accuser during the summer of 2009 was discredited rather quickly as I recall. After Milledgeville in early 2010, Ben was handed his suspension in April of that year. Compared to that, the NFL is tip-toeing around the situation with Watson.

Mar 1, 2002
I think some of you are misremembering how the NFL reacted to that. Ben's issues never involved 20+ women accusing him of something at once. In fact the first accuser during the summer of 2009 was discredited rather quickly as I recall. After Milledgeville in early 2010, Ben was handed his suspension in April of that year. Compared to that, the NFL is tip-toeing around the situation with Watson.

Yea, Ben had 1 or 2 accusers, not 2 dozen.

Ben is Louis CK. Deshaun is Armie Hammer.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
It is time to tie Deshaun Watson to a gurney, and force him to be chemically castrated.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Defense has nothing, so apparently trying to bully/intimidate the plaintiffs is the next plan?

Everything Watson's lawyer has done has made him look worse, and yet this is supposed to be the guy that got Roger Clemens off his perjury charges?

Reactions: Subban signed e5

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018

Defense has nothing, so apparently trying to bully/intimidate the plaintiffs is the next plan?

Everything Watson's lawyer has done has made him look worse, and yet this is supposed to be the guy that got Roger Clemens off his perjury charges?

I know the job would pay extremely well, so that is the obvious motivation for some.

But I can't see how anyone could list "defending Roger Clemens in court" and "defending Deshaun Watson in court" on their resume, and feel good on the inside.

It would have to take a completely morally bankrupt and soulless person to be in that profession.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Looks like he may be getting his way

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Looks like he may be getting his way

This tactic is gross. Watson's lawyer probably saw the absolute heat the couple women who were gutsy/brave enough to put their names to the case and decided it's a good way to go.

Absolutely pathetic and clearly an attempt to intimidate. This is where having a big game hunter/egomaniac type lawyer like Buzbee might actually be useful

Reactions: Barnum

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I know the job would pay extremely well, so that is the obvious motivation for some.

But I can't see how anyone could list "defending Roger Clemens in court" and "defending Deshaun Watson in court" on their resume, and feel good on the inside.

It would have to take a completely morally bankrupt and soulless person to be in that profession.

Reputation. Clemens was a dickhead and Watson is clearly a predator but having those feathers in the cap look admittedly damn good on a resume. Good for the ole ego too

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This tactic is gross. Watson's lawyer probably saw the absolute heat the couple women who were gutsy/brave enough to put their names to the case and decided it's a good way to go.

Absolutely pathetic and clearly an attempt to intimidate. This is where having a big game hunter/egomaniac type lawyer like Buzbee might actually be useful
It's a way for Watson's legal team to put the plaintiffs into the spotlight. And with the way social media is these days it's going to put heat on the plaintiffs from the time their names are released until these cases are resolved.

I think the other factor here is that if there are any other potential therapists that are still contemplating coming forward, this would be a way for the Defence to sway them to not come forward.

But at this point, I would think that it would be in Watson's best interests to get all potential plaintiffs out and do a settlement with them all in 2021 rather than have a few more come out in future years when he's trying to repair his image.

Per reports, the date and time of the allegations have been noted on each complaint, so Watson's legal team can go over his phone, email, social media records to determine who each plaintiff is. It's more work, but they get paid by the hour, so just more they can charge him. By now they know who each person is.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Interesting what happens once the endorsements started disappearing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Even if he only gets a suspension, avoids losing a ton of money and jail time, his marketing ability is likely dead at this point. Granted Kobe somehow came back, but that was one accuser and a different era in regards to how these things are viewed. It seems all teams have moved on from any plans of trading for him between Miami trading down, Jets moving Darnold, Panthers getting Darnold, and SF moving up. Maybe we see something from the teams with immense draft capitol in 2022. But, Houston's off-season this year has to be the most destructive I've ever seen. And, the rumors were that they traded D Hop because he wasn't a "great guy" by management's assessment.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
13 of the 22 plaintiffs must refile and identify themselves. So, Hardin got what he wanted. I don’t know why the others don’t, that’s for a law expert to explain.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
13 of the 22 plaintiffs must refile and identify themselves. So, Hardin got what he wanted. I don’t know why the others don’t, that’s for a law expert to explain.
Disgusting.

I don't know if they will re-file, if they must identify themselves.

Watson and Hardin will then beat their chests and say "ha, looks like they weren't too traumatized afterall".

Wrong. It has more to do with them fearing that some crazed fan or some person with a political agenda will burn their houses down if they identify themselves.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even if he only gets a suspension, avoids losing a ton of money and jail time, his marketing ability is likely dead at this point. Granted Kobe somehow came back, but that was one accuser and a different era in regards to how these things are viewed. It seems all teams have moved on from any plans of trading for him between Miami trading down, Jets moving Darnold, Panthers getting Darnold, and SF moving up. Maybe we see something from the teams with immense draft capitol in 2022. But, Houston's off-season this year has to be the most destructive I've ever seen. And, the rumors were that they traded D Hop because he wasn't a "great guy" by management's assessment.
With D Hop, it came out in the media this season that he would skip a lot of the practices for maintenance. If he was in his 30’s you’d understand it more. If Fitz was skipping it would make more sense given his age. With these NE guys that’s a big no no as Brady always practiced which trickled down to the rest of the roster.

so, made some more sense to me why they would be ok trading him. They just got a weak return for him.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Disgusting.

I don't know if they will re-file, if they must identify themselves.

Watson and Hardin will then beat their chests and say "ha, looks like they weren't too traumatized afterall".

Wrong. It has more to do with them fearing that some crazed fan or some person with a political agenda will burn their houses down if they identify themselves.

Not saying it's right/wrong that they must identify, but I thought I had read somewhere that it's Texas law that they cannot remain anonymous? I'm trying to find it but having trouble remembering where that came from.

brutal

Apr 11, 2021
This f***er needs to be introduced to Bubba in prison if he enjoys the touchy-feely stuff so much.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
19/20 still wanting to go forward with it is still a good sign. Strength in numbers.

Don't blame the one for dropping it because she knows the wrath of thousands of angry incels/neckbeards would be coming for her. Props to all of them for being brave enough to stand firm..

Reactions: Barnum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->