Line Combos: Desharnais Plekanec & _____?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I think Weise is a better fit here than Parenteau, curious how others see it. Not really about who is a better player, but who do you like better completing this trio?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I chose Weise but only because he's the best suited on the RW that we have for that line.

DD and plex don't have a physical edge and that's needed. PAP is more of a top 6 player than Weise but doesn't bring any physicality.

For the same reason Gally works well on the top line, Weise will do well on the 2nd and Prust fits on the 3rd even though Eller and Sekac bring more physicality.

Eventually, I'd like to see Sekac on the 2nd line as he showed he already had some chemistry with Plex. I think we'l eventually see it at some point but for now, Weise is doing a great job of the opportunity he's been given.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
100% not Weise. I love the guy.. my friends and I all bought Weise tshirts to wear to a game in Boston, but he is not a top six player. He seems to always be in the right place, but has no talent with the puck itself.

Parenteau can make things happen offensively.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Not a fan of the combo so makes it tough.

Pleks and dd are both weak along the boards so its not an ideal long term line especially in the playoffs.

PaP makes it worse.

Ideally mtl needs a two top 6 wingers. At worst, move Sekac up and find someone who can play with eller

StartTheShow

Dec 29, 2013
Best line combo would be DD - Plekanec - Simmonds at least until I woke up and realized I was dreaming.

But when Parenteau comes off the IR I hope they leave Weise on the DD/Plecky line. Move Prust down to the fourth line with Malholtra and Bournival. Ship Ghetto back to the AHL where he can gain confidence with more ice time and by racking up points.

Create a third line of Eller - Sekac - Parenteau which makes a pretty good line that has the potential to add consistent secondary scoring. But MT would have to be patient enough to leave that line alone until they developed chemistry. It could take a few games.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Desharnais and Parenteau are both playmakers and play pretty similarly, they just need to be on separate lines.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Andrighetto - Plekanec - Parenteau
Desharnais - Eller - Sekac
Bournival - Prust - Weise

Andrighetto looked good with Plekanec when he got called up and Parenteau looked good with Plekanec near the start of the year.

Desharnais plays better with bigger players on his line, could make for a really productive third line.

One of Bournival or Prust can play centre as they have in the past, won't be as good on draws as Malhotra but they're both way better players.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Desharnais and Parenteau are both playmakers and play pretty similarly, they just need to be on separate lines.

Andrighetto looked good with Plekanec when he got called up and Parenteau looked good with Plekanec near the start of the year.

Desharnais plays better with bigger players on his line, could make for a really productive third line.

One of Bournival or Prust can play centre as they have in the past, won't be as good on draws as Malhotra but they're both way better players.
Desharnais was unhappy with being on the third line and reportedly complained to Therrien about being on the third line.. I think that Ghetto should be sent back down so he can help the Bulldogs and Hudon play better

EDIT: No official posting! My bad.. I swear I have heard it though on maybe TSN or something, but I may be just making it up sorry!

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Desharnais was unhappy with being on the third line and reportedly complained to Therrien about being on the third line.. I think that Ghetto should be sent back down so he can help the Bulldogs and Hudon play better

Even on the third line he'd still end up playing on the PP as Therrien wouldn't take him off, didn't hear this about him complaining which is pretty ridiculous as he still played like 16-18 minutes there.

I'd like to see Ghetto get a chance on a scoring line again before being sent back or until we can hopefully trade for another forward, if he's stuck on the fourth line I'd definitely agree with sending him back though.

Yoshidas Island

Jan 2, 2015
Even on the third line he'd still end up playing on the PP as Therrien wouldn't take him off, didn't hear this about him complaining which is pretty ridiculous as he still played like 16-18 minutes there.

I'd like to see Ghetto get a chance on a scoring line again before being sent back or until we can hopefully trade for another forward, if he's stuck on the fourth line I'd definitely agree with sending him back though.
Yeah he literally averaged like a minute and a half less a game... if that, I just think he was used to being able to passing it to a player and them doing all the work to score, instead when he was passing it, Eller or Sekac weren't doing what Patches usually did so it might have set him off. I think that if Bergevin makes a move Ghetto will be sent down.. I think he needs one more season in the AHL :D

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Not a fan of the combo so makes it tough.

Pleks and dd are both weak along the boards so its not an ideal long term line especially in the playoffs.

PaP makes it worse.

Ideally mtl needs a two top 6 wingers. At worst, move Sekac up and find someone who can play with eller

Agree with the bolded points. Playing DD on a line with Pleks and Weise just creates two half lines of specialty hockey that can't be reconciled into one useful top 6 line, and flanking Plekanec with Cottonelle bumpers like DD and PAP on both sides kind of sabotages anything involved with winning playoff hockey.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Time for Bergevin to make a blockbuster trade for help on the wings.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

Andrighetto - Plekanec - Bournival
Parenteau - Prust - Weise

This except I switch Parenteau and Bournival. I don't think Parenteau is even good enough to play on the third line these days. His lack of top notch physical conditioning makes him too slow to play on an offensive line. I want Eller and Pleks to be successful so PA is not the answer.

PA needs to be told: lose the double chin and you havea shot of getting off the 4th line.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
P.S. If there's another injury and Hudon gets a shot, I wouldn't be surprised if he's able to take Parenteau's spot and force PA into the press box.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
100% not Weise. I love the guy.. my friends and I all bought Weise tshirts to wear to a game in Boston, but he is not a top six player. He seems to always be in the right place, but has no talent with the puck itself.

Parenteau can make things happen offensively.

And the reason why Weise has the same amount of points as Parenteau in one less game, three minutes less ice time per game, two minutes less powerplay time per game?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

It's not that I dislike those lines (I really like them actually)... But that 3rd line is better than that 2nd line.

Yoshidas Island

Jan 2, 2015
so , no proof.. maybe he doesn't like Eller or Eller doesn't like him. future decisions will tell us.
Like I said, I swear I have heard/seen a post saying that Desharnais was most likely not happy on the third line. May be total bull, but I mean it's not like that came out of no where. First line with best players to third line isn't exactly what any player wants

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I voted Parenteau, but my wet dream is that McCarron or Scherbak make it out of the black aces during the playoffs. Forwards take less time to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad