Describe You Favourite Prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
For example:

Jeff Carter:

Swift skating forward who can put the puck in the net, or find an open man. Looks very smooth in everything he does. Looks a bit lanky at times, has a stand up style of skating makes him look very tall. Could use a few pounds. Plays both ends of the the ice, and has shown leaderdship ability. SS Marie has not been a very good team, and he has had a very good attitude playing in that environment. Has to show more consistancy, which could be triggered by being on a better team. He has a strong WJC and was the teams best player while being named to the tounaments all-star team, and was one of the Phantom's top player after being called up late in the year scoring 4 goals in 12 games.

Has been compared to: Joe Thornton, Mats Sundin, Mike Modano
Potential: 1st line center
Drafted: #11 overall 2003 draft

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Hannu Toivonen
The 6-2 goalie is pure butterfly goalie. Some say he has some of the quickest feet anywhere and a good glove hand. Toivonen is cool under fire and has excellent fundamentals . Toivonen's potential is sky high, a franchise goalie. He is playing great in Providence this year and there will be an interesting competition between him and Andrew Raycroft in the not too distant future. Maybe next season!
"If anybody knew how good this kid was in '02, he doesn't make it out of the top-10. Toivonen is as good a goalie prospect as you will find anywhere."- Western Conference NHL Team Scout.
Plays like Patty Roy yet no one can compare to that.
Upside: Franchise goalie
Downside: Average NHL Starter

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Dion Phaneuf.

A very hard-hitting defenceman. Punishes other players with his hits. Plays the simple, stay-at-home style. An almost guarenteed NHL'er. Oozes potential and i see him as one of the most dominant defenceman in the league, if healthy.

Comparision- Scott Stevens

I'm a leaf fan but Phaneuf is my favorite prospect :handclap:

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Jussi Jokinen-192nd overall in 2001

One of the top young players in the SM-Liiga(along with NYR Jarkko Immonen), he used to be seen as a one dimensional sniper, but has shed that image to the point that some complain he doesn't shoot enough, opting to pass the puck to sometimes less talented teammates. Has a very good shot, solid skating, and can play all 3 forward positions, although it appears he is most productive at LW.

Comparison- A more consistant Scott Young, scoring 25-30 goals, peaking at 35 once or twice, and 50-65 points a year.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Andrei Kostitsyn

Fast skating sniper,getting better defensivly but as hell of a way to go.Very quick release on his wrist and snap shot and also very heavy shot. He is one of the premier prospect in the stickhandling departement. His skating his above average and he explods when he as the puck on his stick. Passes the puck pretty well but thinks more about shooting but he is getting better at using his teamates. Does'nt passe the puck a whole lot but when he does it's tape to tape. His health problems seem to be resolved now so it's a good sign. Has a nice futur in front of him.

Has been compared to Marian Hossa.
Potential : 40 goals and 40 assists first line winger
Drafted #10 overall in 2003

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Alex Perezhogin 1st round 25th overall 2001

Darting winger with above average speed and great skills....Very reliable defensively and has a nose for the net...Gifted shooter...Very good stickhander and vastly underrated playmaker...Will give 110% every shift and will play a very disciplined game (unless you swing a stick at his head, god knows he hates that)
If all pans out well projection: First line forward with all-star potential

Can be compared to Alex Mogilny or Ziggy Palffy

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Travis Zajac 6`02 205, Center, shoots R, May 13, 1985
Drafted by the New Jersey Devils in the 1st round (20th overall) in 2004.
Born Winnipeg, Man., Canada

Zajac is a big centermen. He has excellent acceleration and a high top end speed. His main asset would have to be his hockey sense even though he is leading UND in goals. Zajac has great hands and has deadly accurate passes. He can make great plays at high speeds, a trait that is rare among hockey players. Zajac has a good hard accurate shot. He is excellent on faceoffs. His total skill package is top notch and among the best in the 2004 draft. Zajac could use his body alot more and play a more physical game. New Jersey seems to like his allround game and Zajac noted himself as an excellent defensive forward. Zajac is a clutch player and makes big plays when neeed. Zajac fell in the draft for two reasons. 1.) He was a year older then the rest of the class 2.) He played in the BCHL while waiting for college. The weaker compititon made it tough to gauge how talented he was and if he could compete vs stronger peers.

Zajac compares himself to Joe Nieuwendyk
I compare Zajac to Mats Sundin
LouIsGod feels he plays like Mike Modano

Potential - 1st line centermen, allstar

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Legionnaire said:
Ah ha. Now I see where the downside of Bonk comes from. :snide:
Honestly....the guy doesn't have any weaknesses. If he puts all the pieces together he will be a star. The scary thing is that he has a better skill set then Parise. His hockey sense...while high....is not in the same league as Parise.

Check out some of his highlights here:
http://www.sasilverbacks.com/media.php

Zajac ties and Chucko Wins Game in Penticton (good one)
Home Opener Highlights (he gets the first goal)

He should be included in almost very highlight reel. :)

"An absolute game breaker. He is most of all an offensive player with all the tools you could ask for in a potential NHL scoring line player. A strong skater with amazing top-end speed, but even more impressively, he makes great moves while in top speed, a trait even few NHL players possess."

"One of my stronger points is my defensive play," Zajac said. "I think I'm a big, physical forward who battles in corners. I have pretty good playmaking skills. I consider myself more of a playmaker than a goal scorer."

"He's a big kid, and he does everything well," Murray said. "You can't say enough about his game. He's a good skater, he's good in the corners, he's got a great shot. He's a playmaker. There's a reason why he was picked in the first round this year. He's an all-around player."

"CSS Notes: Travis is a good skater with a fluid stride and excellent balance…Controls the pace of games…Uses his outstanding on-ice vision and skills to create scoring chances…carries the puck with poise and confidence…Very patient drawing his opponents to him…Pace of his passes are appropriate to the situation.

Has a strong work ethic…Willing to battle one-on-one….Does not hesitate to venture into tough areas of the ice…Fights through checks…Anticipates the play…Go-to-guy in clutch situations."

I am kind of mad he didn't make Team Canada but I had to realize. There was three offensive center positions available. Bergeron, Richards, Crosby and Carter. Crosby can play wing so that makes it a litle easier. I don't expect Zajac to knock Richards or Carter out of a spot.

Last edited:

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
ic3man24 said:
Dion Phaneuf.

A very hard-hitting defenceman. Punishes other players with his hits. Plays the simple, stay-at-home style. An almost guarenteed NHL'er. Oozes potential and i see him as one of the most dominant defenceman in the league, if healthy.

Comparision- Scott Stevens

I'm a leaf fan but Phaneuf is my favorite prospect :handclap:

Don't forgot the rocket of a shot. I still can't believe Stone got out of the way (game 2 WHL/Russia)

velimiiro

Alexander Ovechkin

Skating: A superb skater with excellent acceleration and top speed...very good first step…maintains a fast tempo throughout the game...very hard to knock down with the puck...skates well through traffic. Shot: Possesses a strong, precise wrist shot with a very quick and deceiving release: he appears to shoot the puck high, but manages to wrist it to just underneath the cross bar...possesses a great, precise backhand...though not used as often, his slap shot is very strong, with a quick release...primarily uses the slap shot on the junior squad, when he comes out as a fourth forward on a power play. Technical Ability: A terrific puck handler...possesses great hand to eye coordination...very soft hands Pass: Makes very precise passes, right on the stick...sees the ice very well and makes excellent passes...in junior competition, tends to crash the net, taking two or three players with him, and then passing the puck off to the side to a wide open teammate. Hockey Sense: An already very mature player...terrific vision of the ice...great awareness of his teammates. Defensive Play: Mostly responsible defensively, but defensive lapses do occur as a result of his primarily offense-minded approach... skates well backwards and uses his acceleration to get back into the defensive zone, but is usually also the first player out of the zone on the offensive rush...has been more responsible defensively while playing for Super League’s Dynamo Moscow and the senior national team, than while with the U18 or U20 national teams. Physical Play: At 6’3, Ovechkin is a physical power forward who has had to deal with being double teamed on the junior level for the past three seasons...solidly built and can take many hits without losing the puck...fights very well at the boards...though not known for hitting, can deliver strong hits at the boards and by the opponent’s crease.

I compare him to a poor man's Ilya Kovalchuk who hits more.

leafaholix*

With the help of scouting reports and some personal thoughts...

Robbie Earl

An elite skater with good hockey sense, exceptional acceleration, and superb lateral mobility and speed. One of the better skating prospects. Possesses an uncanny knack for lurking in the weeds and then emerging in the slot untouched for a scoring chance. Works hard to generate offense, his desire to make things happen is an attractive trait. Earl has improved in all facets of his game since the 2004 draft, he can still improve defensively in the effort department and with his decision making, sometimes he gets careless. Worked out with Chris Chelios and other NHL players in the offseason back home in Los Angeles and has put on some strength and weight. He lingers around 6'0", 190 pounds and is stronger on the puck than he was 1 season ago. His skill with the puck is often mindboggling and it seems he makes a hilight reel play every weekend. Seems to do everything at break-neck speed, he's also not afraid to go to the net and put himself in a position to take physical abuse just to make a play. A knock against him last season was his lack of ability to use his linemates, often looking to score a goal and make things happen by himself, he has improved that weakness this season and is developing at a great pace. Another knock on Robbie Earl was his lack of consistency, he has registered a point in 14 of 18 games this season. One of the stars of college hockey at the age of 19, he may spend another couple years with Wisconsin and then move to Toronto, question is with the Maple Leafs or their AHL affiliate?

Very underrated, he's on pace to score between 45 and 50 points for Wisconsin.

Style: Pavel Bure
Comparison: Mike Comrie

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Leafaholix said:
With the help of scouting reports and some personal thoughts...

Robbie Earl

An elite skater with good hockey sense, exceptional acceleration, and superb lateral mobility and speed. One of the better skating prospects. Possesses an uncanny knack for lurking in the weeds and then emerging in the slot untouched for a scoring chance. Works hard to generate offense, his desire to make things happen is an attractive trait. Earl has improved in all facets of his game since the 2004 draft, he can still improve defensively in the effort department and with his decision making, sometimes he gets careless. Worked out with Chris Chelios and other NHL players in the offseason back home in Los Angeles and has put on some strength and weight. He lingers around 6'0", 190 pounds and is stronger on the puck than he was 1 season ago. His skill with the puck is often mindboggling and it seems he makes a hilight reel play every weekend. Seems to do everything at break-neck speed, he's also not afraid to go to the net and put himself in a position to take physical abuse just to make a play. A knock against him last season was his lack of ability to use his linemates, often looking to score a goal and make things happen by himself, he has improved that weakness this season and is developing at a great pace. Another knock on Robbie Earl was his lack of consistency, he has registered a point in 14 of 18 games this season. One of the stars of college hockey at the age of 19, he may spend another couple years with Wisconsin and then move to Toronto, question is with the Maple Leafs or their AHL affiliate?

Very underrated, he's on pace to score between 45 and 50 points for Wisconsin.

Style: Pavel Bure
Comparison: Mike Comrie
Go to sleep

leafaholix*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Either you are up really early or you havn't went to bed yet.
I went to bed at 12:00 and couldn't sleep, tossed and turned for 3 hours and decided that I'd pull an all-nighter so I won't sleep in for class. Alarm doesn't work and I don't want to risk sleeping in for the 3rd time in the last week.

I need coffee.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Dion Phaneuf:
As soon as I read the scouting reports on him before his draft I immeditely wanted the Habs to get him as he'd been around their pick area, unfortunetly Calgary grabbed him one spot beforehand. Anyway I like him because he basicly is the full package you'd want in a defencemen, big, fast, hits like a truck, good leader, plays well in the defencive zone and can put up points on the board on top of that.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Alexander Semin
He is lightning fast and has a nice set of hands and a very accurate shot. He is a bit undersized but makes up for it with is incredible skill. He is a bit underated with Kovy and AO stealing all the glory from russia. He played well on a horrible Washington team.

Potential : 80 + points consistently possible future HOFer. 40 + goals
Plays like : Pavel Bure but a better passer.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Gilbert Brule 5'11'' 180

The smooth skating pivot is regarded as a top prospect for the 2005 draft. Already the best player on his team at age 17, Brule can make players around him 10 times better - as linemate Tim Kraus' 12 goals would suggest. Who you ask? Thats right, Brule can put up massive numbers playing with anyone it seems.

Owning one of the deadliest shots in all of junior hockey, Brule can force defenders to back off respecting his shot, which can give him time to thread the needle to a teamate for a wide-open net. This is mostly prevelant when Brule is used as a point-man on the PP.

Not just a pretty face with silky smooth skills, Brule also has a temper. The 5'11'' center will hack and whack you back if you decide to take liberties on the Giants best player. Perhaps Brule is trying to show scouts that he can play a physical game as well.

Comparison: Jeremy Roenick
Stats: 31 GP 19G 22A 41 PTS

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
velimiiro said:
Alexander Ovechkin

Skating: A superb skater with excellent acceleration and top speed...very good first step…maintains a fast tempo throughout the game...very hard to knock down with the puck...skates well through traffic. Shot: Possesses a strong, precise wrist shot with a very quick and deceiving release: he appears to shoot the puck high, but manages to wrist it to just underneath the cross bar...possesses a great, precise backhand...though not used as often, his slap shot is very strong, with a quick release...primarily uses the slap shot on the junior squad, when he comes out as a fourth forward on a power play. Technical Ability: A terrific puck handler...possesses great hand to eye coordination...very soft hands Pass: Makes very precise passes, right on the stick...sees the ice very well and makes excellent passes...in junior competition, tends to crash the net, taking two or three players with him, and then passing the puck off to the side to a wide open teammate. Hockey Sense: An already very mature player...terrific vision of the ice...great awareness of his teammates. Defensive Play: Mostly responsible defensively, but defensive lapses do occur as a result of his primarily offense-minded approach... skates well backwards and uses his acceleration to get back into the defensive zone, but is usually also the first player out of the zone on the offensive rush...has been more responsible defensively while playing for Super League’s Dynamo Moscow and the senior national team, than while with the U18 or U20 national teams. Physical Play: At 6’3, Ovechkin is a physical power forward who has had to deal with being double teamed on the junior level for the past three seasons...solidly built and can take many hits without losing the puck...fights very well at the boards...though not known for hitting, can deliver strong hits at the boards and by the opponent’s crease.

I compare him to a poor man's Ilya Kovalchuk who hits more.

You might wanna post a link there buddy. That's from russianprospects.com, so some people might think you're taking credit for someone else's work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->