Player Discussion Deryk Engelland (or "The Ministry of Defense")

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If I understood correctly, PDO combines shooting% and SV%. So the argument is that Engelland has high GK SV% because he is lucky, and he is lucky because the GK SV% is high.

It makes sense if you feel like the SV% is high because he is lucky then you would expect PDO to be high. Of course you could argue that his SV% on ice is higher because he is better than a bottom pairing guy getting easier assignments so you would expect him to be have a higher SV%. It really comes down to what your opinion is about Engs.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
First, I would like to apologize. I had thought that it was commonly held that skaters cannot meaningfully affect goaltender sv%, but it appears I was wrong.

However, I still contend that Engelland is simply getting lucky having such a high sv% this year. See the following graph (read from right to left, I messed up when making it but it should serve its purpose)

ZtHAmPx

One can observe that Engelland doesn't (imo) meaningfully affect sv% through his historical performance. I think that the graph might indicate that he wasn't truly as bad as he looked last year, but I would say it also indicates that he is not as good as he looks this year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's been pretty good for the most part. Bottom pairing guy that'll throw a hit once in a while and get mean in front of the net, also like him on the PK. His biggest problem is he's the anti Brodie as far as avoiding the forecheck. The reason these defenceman often look bad here is mostly Hartley's system of forwards flying the zone as soon as possession changes. Passing through a NZ trap is difficult for even the better PMD, which Engelland is not. Wouldn't hate him and Tspoon as our bottom pair next year.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
First, I would like to apologize. I had thought that it was commonly held that skaters cannot meaningfully affect goaltender sv%, but it appears I was wrong

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but of course there are a lot of factors that affect team SV% for skaters. What kind of situations they play, what kind of opponents they play (quality of competition) etc.

My main argument was against "luck". If you'd said Engelland gets easier minutes, I wouldnt have said anything. "Luck" just seems lazy and easy excuse.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
First, I would like to apologize. I had thought that it was commonly held that skaters cannot meaningfully affect goaltender sv%, but it appears I was wrong.

However, I still contend that Engelland is simply getting lucky having such a high sv% this year. See the following graph (read from right to left, I messed up when making it but it should serve its purpose)

ZtHAmPx

One can observe that Engelland doesn't (imo) meaningfully affect sv% through his historical performance. I think that the graph might indicate that he wasn't truly as bad as he looked last year, but I would say it also indicates that he is not as good as he looks this year.

Well I thought that's what you were saying...either way. I still think Engelland is much better then you give him credit for. Being outmatched by the ducks in the POs is a poor example. The ducks own our entire team every time we play them. Name one player on our roster that excelled in that PO series...crickets.

Just because his pay is high, doesn't discount the fact that he is a solid defender for this team. I'd love to keep him on our bottom pairing if we can move salary out somewhere else.

moon*

Engelland has filled his role perfectly.

He was brought in to be a physical, bottom pairing guy while the young guys developed in the AHL. He actually has outperformed that if you consider that he has been ok in limited top 4 minutes this year and last.

Now it looks like that Wotherspoon will be ready to move into the line-up and maybe another guy in two years to replace him when his contract is done.

He is slightly overpaid for a bottom pairing guy but that doesn't matter at all with this team since we are not in a cap crunch and his deal has prevented us in signing, re-signing or acquiring nobody.

There are two guys (Wideman and Smid) with much worse deals than him and a few guys up front.

Engelland has been a big asset for this team and I can't figure out how anyone could complain about him or the point in making up stuff like he is terrible or lucky. It just makes no sense.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
He is slightly overpaid for a bottom pairing guy but that doesn't matter at all with this team since we are not in a cap crunch and his deal has prevented us in signing, re-signing or acquiring nobody.

Also anyone who argues that he's overpaid also overlooks the fact that when we did sign him, we were supposed to be (and in many ways still are) a terrible team for a few years while those AHL guys developed. In situations like that, you have to overpay to get free agents to sign with a struggling club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->