Player Discussion Deryk Engelland (or "The Ministry of Defense")

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
If there is one thing I do not understand about most posters opinions on this board it's regarding Engelland. The guy has shown he is a rock, and when asked, he can easily step into a top 4 role. He's big, tough, and from what I can tell, a leader. I just don't get the hate for him. His contract is a bit high, but damn, he's been stellar for us most nights. Not the fastest skater, but some of the outlet passes he made last night were superb.

I want him on this team moving forward. Honestly, I'd rather have him in our top 4 over Russell.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
If there is one thing I do not understand about most posters opinions on this board it's regarding Engelland. The guy has shown he is a rock, and when asked, he can easily step into a top 4 role. He's big, tough, and from what I can tell, a leader. I just don't get the hate for him. His contract is a bit high, but damn, he's been stellar for us most nights. Not the fastest skater, but some of the outlet passes he made last night were superb.

I want him on this team moving forward. Honestly, I'd rather have him in our top 4 over Russell.

Engelland is a solid D-man. Like you said he positions himself well. He is one of the few that can clear the front of the net.

The largest issue with Engelland is cap space needs to be freed to sign RFA's and a few key UFA's. Engelland is likely one of the easier pieces to move.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I have no problem with Engels on this team.
I think the problem that comes up with him in the lineup is where to slot him successfully. His best hockey has been played alongside a solid PMD; he did well with Russ, Brodie and Hamilton in the lineup. Him and Wideman were pretty 'meh'. The issue is the guys holding down the bottom pair have been excellent. Wotherspoons been a great PK'er; they haven't hurt this team at all, and they've been giving Calgary quality minutes every game.

The issue, as well, is that Calgary probably needs another decent LH top4 Dman to play alongside Hamilton. A guy who's a rock, but a level above what Engelland brings.

I'd be happy to run with:
Giordano - Brodie
X - Hamilton
Wotherspoon/Engelland/Nakladal -> Depending on the game, injuries, etc.

0 complaints about Engelland. To me, he's done enough to earn most if not all of that contract this year.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

It's only because of his cap hit. He's maybe overpaid by about $500k at the time of signing, even if now that might be fair-ish value.

I like him getting more ES minutes, and I think he has a role as a #5/6 defenseman full time. He will also be someone teams look at acquiring at the deadline, for those exact reasons.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
It's only because of his cap hit. He's maybe overpaid by about $500k at the time of signing, even if now that might be fair-ish value.

I like him getting more ES minutes, and I think he has a role as a #5/6 defenseman full time. He will also be someone teams look at acquiring at the deadline, for those exact reasons.

I think he is the perfect kind of guy to hold onto until next deadline. At $3m his cap hit at the deadline is manageable for most teams looking for a tough, net clearing bottom pairing defenseman. It seems guys like this are what teams want heading into the playoffs, especially if you think you have to go up against a heavy team like LA or Anaheim.

Right now, is he overpaid, maybe but at the time of signing we had lots of room and needed the toughness on the backend.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
The guy has shown he is a rock, and when asked, he can easily step into a top 4 role.
...and that's the fundamental point of disagreement right there.

This year, Engelland has been fine as a #6 when he wasn't paired with Wideman, but he's still not a 17+ minutes guy. He got completely owned against the Ducks in these two games, he was pretty bad against the kings and I thought he was the lone bad spot against the canucks. #6-7 defensemen should not eat more than 1.5M$ in a cap world were you need to create enough space for your superstars and the complementary pieces.

Might not help he has been getting more ES ice-time than Hamilton since Russell's "lower-body injury", but I'm getting used to Hartley's dumb antics so w/e.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Engelland's fine as a #5, #6 or #7. Anything more and you're entering breakdown territory.

Of the poor value contracts on the Flames (Wideman, Stajan, Raymond, Smid, Engelland), he's the one I want moved the least.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He's been great recently. He's a very partner-dependent player, though. Needs someone who can move the puck out effectively as his partner. I think Hamilton is showing that that is a strength in his game, and as a result they are playing effectively together, just like he and Brodie did last playoffs.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
IMO, Egg's issue is the existence of Smid. No Smid and a different type of anchor at that price range (ie: Ference) and thing are a lot clearer if you need to figure out if Eggs is a decent piece. No Smid, less grumbles.

We also have him as a stop gap RW.

Yes, he's very overpaid, but I mind his contract the least as Calculon mentioned.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
I can tell he worked hard over the summer. His skills are way better then last year. And he benefits greatly from not playing with Smid (and probably vice versa, they simply aren't good together).

But he's not good at all when he play top 4 minutes. I'd even say he's bad when he plays to 4 minutes. That's the only misconception (for me) with how Engelland is viewed as a player.

I ragged on him a fair bit this summer, but I'll admit that he's been fine this year. Way better then last.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

I agree with you on pretty much everything, though I'm not sure if I'd prefer him over Russell in top-4.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Also I'm not against signing him to a new deal after next year if he's not traded, as long as the cap hit is reasonable. Good veteran presence on the third pair, and I'd rather have someone like Engelland sit in the pressbox instead of prospects (if someone outplays him for that third pair role).

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
To me he's looked far better this year when stepping into the top 4. I guess the price tag is high, I'd just prefer to move out others if possible over him. I really like what he hoes for this team. He's one of the few guys who can play that rough, sandpaper role and intimidate the other team.

So move him if you have too I guess, I just wouldn't if we have other options to create cap space.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Engelland is a bad defenseman. The only reason people aren't all over him this year is because the goalies are putting up a 0.929 sv% when he's on the ice. (way higher than last years 0.911)

The only thing he's good for right now is facepunching and deterrence.

However, I would like to see him play 3rd or 4th line RW next season after Jones and Hudler make trail. I think he could fit well there.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Engelland is a bad defenseman. The only reason people aren't all over him this year is because the goalies are putting up a 0.929 sv% when he's on the ice. (way higher than last years 0.911)

So you are basically saying that based on stats, Engelland is a good defenseman who is able to limit opponents' scoring chances and dangerous shots, resulting higher SV% for goalkeepers.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
So you are basically saying that based on stats, Engelland is a good defenseman who is able to limit opponents' scoring chances and dangerous shots, resulting higher SV% for goalkeepers.

No, what I'm saying is Engelland is getting lucky.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

The only thing he's good for right now is facepunching and deterrence.

However, I would like to see him play 3rd or 4th line RW next season after Jones and Hudler make trail. I think he could fit well there.

You should re-read what you just wrote...So when Engelland is on the ice, our goalies have a solid SV%

:help:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
To be fair he does have the highest PDO on the team which is suppose to me a measure of luck wether or not you like the stat is another thing.

If I understood correctly, PDO combines shooting% and SV%. So the argument is that Engelland has high GK SV% because he is lucky, and he is lucky because the GK SV% is high.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Since the start of 2016, Wideman has a 98.8 on-ice save% in 11 games.

Seems like the shutdown defenseman we need right now. Why would anyone ever want to trade him?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Since the start of 2016, Wideman has a 98.8 on-ice save% in 11 games.

Seems like the shutdown defenseman we need right now. Why would anyone ever want to trade him?

I'd say small sample size is the answer here.

Kovaz

Jul 1, 2014
Here's Engelland's on-ice save percentages over his career (team save% in brackets):

Pittsburgh:
87.54% (92.00%)
92.88% (90.9%)
92.12% (92.6%)
91.84% (90.7%)
91.71% (92.7%)
Calgary:
91.09% (92.2%)
93.05% (91.4%)

Here are Calgary's other D this year:
Wideman: 92.11%
Hamilton: 92.00%
Russell: 91.45%
Brodie: 91.37%
Giordano: 90.09%
Smid: 86.63%

I'm gonna guess this year is an outlier for him. He's below average in 4 seasons, above average in 3. Just a random fluctuation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->