Recalled/Assigned: Dermott to the Leafs Marincin back to the Marlies

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Nope

Not a fan of little wingers and believe C and D's should be the desire with 1st round picks when deciding BPA.

I was hoping for Thomas Chabot to be on the board with Leafs pick here but wanted to trade up to get Barzal when he was falling, not trade back.

As a 2nd round pick Dermott is a good choice as BPA were he went, but I would have ended up with Sebastian Aho at #34 from my draft board.
Sucks in that draft that we couldn' have dealt kessel for picks in 2015 draft. If only someone like Florida had tried to get him. W would have barzal at 11 and maybe a nice 2nd pick as well. Not too upset as marner and Dermott will be great players but getting another piece like barzal, boesor, aho would have been amazing for us.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Nope

Not a fan of little wingers and believe C and D's should be the desire with 1st round picks when deciding BPA. Certainly not after already taking Marner at #4 ,Konecny would not be an option after that. Had Leafs drafted either Barzal (my #3 ranked) or Provorov (my #4 ranked) BPA at #4 then perhaps Konecny would be a consideration (but I had Anaheim Dman Jacob Larsson) ahead of Konecny on my BPA list at #24.

I was hoping for Thomas Chabot to be on the board with Leafs pick here but wanted to trade up to get Barzal when he was falling, not trade back.

As a 2nd round pick Dermott is a good choice as BPA were he went, but I would have ended up with Sebastian Aho at #34 from my draft board, in fact he would have been BPA even after Leafs traded back the 1rt time from #24 (passing on Konecny) and dropping to #29.

If not you then there were tons of people complaining about passing up Konecny for some reason.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sucks in that draft that we couldn' have dealt kessel for picks in 2015 draft. If only someone like Florida had tried to get him. W would have barzal at 11 and maybe a nice 2nd pick as well. Not too upset as marner and Dermott will be great players but getting another piece like barzal, boesor, aho would have been amazing for us.

I was really hoping for Leafs to trade back from #4 to #8 and add 3 X 2nds (#34, #38 and #58) and keep #24.

My draft of 2015 BPA ranking would have seen #8 C (Mathew Barzal), #24 Dman (Jacob Larsson), #34 C/LW (Sebastian Aho), #38 D (Travis Dermott) and #58 RW (Blake Speers).

So I would have Dermott now also but only with a trade back from #4 but not as Leafs did trading back from #24 instead.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If not you then there were tons of people complaining about passing up Konecny for some reason.

Did you not see NHLer Konecny set up Sean Couturier in OT for the winning goal against our Leafs just the other day?

So hard to argue with those that wanted and would have taken him at #24 as BPA on the board. Getting NHLers is the goal from the draft, so how are you suggesting it would be a mistake had the Leafs taken him?

Liking Dermott's poise now by me really doesn't have anything to do with that.. However in the big draft picture it looks like Hunter should have taken Sebastian Aho at #34 ahead of Dermott if this is a draft thingy issue with you. ;)

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Did you not see NHLer Konecny set up Sean Couturier in OT for the winning goal against our Leafs just the other day?

So hard to argue with those that wanted and would have taken him at #24 as BPA on the board. Getting NHLers is the goal from the draft, so how are you suggesting it would be a mistake had the Leafs taken him?

Liking Dermott's poise now by me really doesn't have anything to do with that.. However in the big draft picture it looks like Hunter should have taken Sebastian Aho at #34 ahead of Dermott if this is a draft thingy issue with you. ;)

I don't value a play based on one play in OT. I'd much rather have a potential top 4 dman than a small winger that is on pace for 34 points this year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I was really hoping for Leafs to trade back from #4 to #8 and add 3 X 2nds (#34, #38 and #58) and keep #24.

My draft of 2015 BPA ranking would have seen #8 C (Mathew Barzal), #24 Dman (Jacob Larsson), #34 C/LW (Sebastian Aho), #38 D (Travis Dermott) and #58 RW (Blake Speers).

So I would have Dermott now also but only with a trade back from #4 but not as Leafs did trading back from #24 instead.

Did you post that? A lot of people wanted to trade back for Provorov or Wer and some wanted Barzzy but it was less. I don't remember who wanted what.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Did you post that? A lot of people wanted to trade back for Provorov or Wer and some wanted Barzzy but it was less. I don't remember who wanted what.
I also seem to remember a lot of people interested in Strome too.
The prototypical big centerman

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This kid seems to thrive with more ice time. We need to find a way to keep him in the lineup. He is obviously benefitting from having more talented players around him. It would be a shame to have to send him back down when everyone is healthy, as I don't think he can develop further in the AHL.

I mentioned in the GDT, it might be worth considering moving Gardiner for solid assets sooner rather than later to make room for Dermott in the top four. I wouldn't do it just yet, but if he continues to impress, it's something Leafs brass should definitely think about in my opinion.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
he should never go back ,I like his passion he put in his dues ..boy if anyone needs a bit of ahl wake up time is marner ....what happened to this kid over the summer
I would not be surprised if Dermott is sent back to the Marlies after Thursday's game in Dallas because of the All Star Game being this weekend and being recalled before next Wednesday for their first game back against the Islanders.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

LOL, Mess, do u really think anyone believes those were ur ranking's?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Dermott played 20 minutes last night and was awesome. He looked so smooth and poised the whole time and almost had his first NHL goal. We've got a player here.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Dermott played 20 minutes last night and was awesome. He looked so smooth and poised the whole time and almost had his first NHL goal. We've got a player here.

Was the GWG not his fault? Matthews assumed Dermott was going to play a 2 on 2 like a 2 on 2. Made Matthews look bad.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Was the GWG not his fault? Matthews assumed Dermott was going to play a 2 on 2 like a 2 on 2. Made Matthews look bad.

If Matthews' assumed Dermott had that player, he would have switch off and taken the high man that was coming in. Dermott peeked and saw Matthews with the Av's player, figured he had him, and went to take the high man so he wouldn't have had an open look from the top of the circle.

Reactions: hotpaws

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

That was definitely a miscommunication between Matthews and Dermott. In the replay you can see Dermott looking at Matthews and then moving away from the guy charging the net to intercept a possible drop pass. Auston was probably assuming that Dermott was going to keep playing the 2 on 2, so he wasn't going hard on the man. It's not a good play for either of them. But that's a problem of reading each other, not a problem with reading the play or puck watching.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm very very happy to see that Dermott-Carrick is looking like a legit pairing. It gives Babcock no excuse to seperate them once Rielly/Zaitsev get back.

In 32 minutes so far together:

All adjusted, relative in brackets

Zone Starts Relative - 66.63% (100% means all offensive zone starts)
Penalty's taken - 0

CF% - 66.49 (+17.67%)
xGF% - 75.71% (+24.39%)
GF% - 72.27% (+14.77%)

Yes it's only been 32 minutes so it's about as small a sample size as possible, but they've been FANTASTIC together. This could be HUGE going forward if Babs keeps them together and Polak off the roster.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
I'm very very happy to see that Dermott-Carrick is looking like a legit pairing. It gives Babcock no excuse to seperate them once Rielly/Zaitsev get back.

In 32 minutes so far together:

All adjusted, relative in brackets

Zone Starts Relative - 66.63% (100% means all offensive zone starts)
Penalty's taken - 0

CF% - 66.49 (+17.67%)
xGF% - 75.71% (+24.39%)
GF% - 72.27% (+14.77%)

Yes it's only been 32 minutes so it's about as small a sample size as possible, but they've been FANTASTIC together. This could be HUGE going forward if Babs keeps them together and Polak off the roster.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick

Dermott and Carrick have played so well together in the last couple of games that its getting me too optimistic that Polak might actually be on the bench once Rielly and Zaitsev get back! I know thatll be shot down once they come back and Babs keeps Polak in there.

The pairings you mentioned would be nice to see for a long stretch.

Reactions: Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Dermott and Carrick have played so well together in the last couple of games that its getting me too optimistic that Polak might actually be on the bench once Rielly and Zaitsev get back! I know thatll be shot down once they come back and Babs keeps Polak in there.

The pairings you mentioned would be nice to see for a long stretch.

I'm not so sure about Gardiner-Zaitsev, but maybe if we can take some pressure off them with Dermott-Carrick even they might improve as a pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad