Sep 22, 2007
Both solid looking players, both coming from a former pro-type league

Assuming all goes well in potential...

Who has the better career?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I obviously have watched much more of Stepan than Paajarvi, so I'm most likely biased, but from my viewings of each:

Derek Stepan:

Pros: Highly, highly intelligent on-ice player, with elite level vision and creativity. Willing to go to the net for rebounds, and is usually in the right place for a pass behind the net tap in. Solid in his own zone as well. He's been used as a penalty killer on several occasions.

Cons: Weak along the boards. He's willing to use boardplay, but he's nowhere near strong enough at this point in his career to use it to his advantage, and for a player who is primarily a playmaker, this has hurt his passing game a bit, and taken away from his head-driven game. He's also got a really weird skating stride. It looks like he's swimming.

Magnus Paajarvi:

Pros: Also good in the intelligence department (not nearly as smart as Stepan, but it's still a plus from what I've seen), but he's much bigger than Stepan, which helps with boardplay and defensive hockey. Good passing, hands, and awareness.

Cons: At this point, his offensive game is somewhat underdeveloped, although he doesn't seem to be getting much of a chance from Renney. He's gotten next to no powerplay time form what I have seen. His shot seems pretty weak as well.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
MPS has the higher potential IMO, so with you asking who would be better if they max out their potential, I'd have to say Magnus. Do I think he reaches that potential? No.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
MPS has the higher potential IMO, so with you asking who would be better if they max out their potential, I'd have to say Magnus. Do I think he reaches that potential? No.

If MPS reaches his potential, I see Marian Hossa 2.0.

If not, I see a solid 20-25 two-way winger.

Stepan's ceiling is a PPG two-way center, Paul Stastny like.

Floor, solid 2nd/3rd line center.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I have no idea really. Stepans rookie season is better, but he also receives a little more icetime, on a better team and gets a lot more pp-time. MPS is one year younger and this is his first season on NA-ice.

Those excuses aside, Stepan have been the better player this season. For the future? who knows.

Comparing MPS how he used to look in SEL. I think he used to play with more confidence and balls back in Sweden. Maybe he's can find a new gear in his game in the second season when he's more used to the situation.

PortlandWinterHawks

Dec 4, 2010
I like Magnus better just because I think his combination of size and speed will allow him to dominate later in his career once he develops. His hands need to get a bit better though.
Stepan I believe will just become a very good second liner.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I haven't seen enough of Stepan but they could both be stars in the NHL.

Pajaarvi needs to work on his shot and pack more weight onto his frame. His upside is a 70-80pt player but he should also be a real good defensive forward too.

Not sure of Stepan's ceiling but every time I have actually seen him play he's been great.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I have no idea really. Stepans rookie season is better, but he also receives a little more icetime, on a better team and gets a lot more pp-time. MPS is one year younger and this is his first season on NA-ice.

Those excuses aside, Stepan have been the better player this season. For the future? who knows.

Comparing MPS how he used to look in SEL. I think he used to play with more confidence and balls back in Sweden. Maybe he's can find a new gear in his game in the second season when he's more used to the situation.
I believe it. I think he's lacking confidence.

HNIC did an interview with MPS, Hall, Eberle and Gagner. They were asked at what was their "welcome to the NHL" moment. Gagner and Eberle said their first goals, Hall said his first game and Paajarvi said getting destroyed by Regehr. If your first memory of the NHL is getting hurt by one of the more physical players in the league, it's only natural that you might be a little hesitant to play your game. Especially when you're not used to getting hit like that.

He's coming around though. He's been scoring at about a 20 goal/40 point pace since December.

Edit: Stats since about December 1st. Paajarvi had played 54 games and Stepan 53 so I went to 55.

Stepan: Last 55 games- 14 goals and 28 points
Paajarvi: Last 55 games- 11 goals and 25 points

Their linemates have been about on par with each other but Stepan is getting a minute more powerplay time a game.

Last edited:

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
I have to go with Stepan. He is getting first line power play minutes now with plenty of ice time. I can only seeing this continuing in his career. Stepan has produced at every level he has played at.

Once Stepan gets stronger and improves his skating he could be a first line center who produces 70 points or more consistently year after year. Stepan is also a leader with great intangibles.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I have to go with Stepan. He is getting first line power play minutes now with plenty of ice time. I can only seeing this continuing in his career. Stepan has produced at every level he has played at.

Once Stepan gets stronger and improves his skating he could be a first line center who produces 70 points or more consistently year after year. Stepan is also a leader with great intangibles.

Stepan is a kid that just seems to get "it". whatever that is lol..

He at age 21/20 is effective already, albeit he logs great ice time and plays PP with some firepower (Gabby and co). Ever think he earned it? Im sure Torts did not just give it to him because he was a good kid and a 2nd rounder in 2008. taking this into consideration I do question the pinnacle or top Level where Stepan plateau's. He may be a solid solid 2nd line center for 10 years if he stays healthy. 1st line center, i am not sure. Just my 2 cents..

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I'd guess that it's a product of there being less space and time in the NHL, it being more physical, etc. We saw the same thing with Zucarello I think. Hard to build up your confidence when you're adjusting to someone always being in your face and putting a body on you.

Stepan should benefit greatly from improving his strength and working on getting a quicker first step with his skating. Hopefully a productive summer of training will help with that a lot. He's been looking kind of tired towards the end of the season (I believe he's played in every game this year and going from a college schedule directly to this must be tiring) and so he loses more board battles than he did at the beginning of the year. He's still smart as hell though and for a guy that doesn't have a strong shot, he's good at finding open spaces and getting a quick shot on goal.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Why do people question Paajarvi's hands? His hands are great..

Tell me how many NHL'ers can do this:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Magnus needs to start throwing his body around more and just play with more guts. You see him coming with great speed and then he gets knocked off the puck with little to no effort from the defender. With his speed, frame and overall skill there is no doubt that he can be a really good player though, especially since he already has a solid two-way game. He needs to adapt his game more to the small ice, so the speed comes to his advantage, meanwhile becoming stronger on the puck.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Why do people question Paajarvi's hands? His hands are great..

Tell me how many NHL'ers can do this:

This might just be me - but performing during a skills competion doesn't tell you much about being able to actually contribute at the NHL level. Because if skills competition mattered - Kovalev would be the best player of all time and Robbie Shremp would be an elite player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad