Derek Stepan Sucks (UPDATE: Does Not Suck - 03/07/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Well, the Martinook - Richardson - Cousins line plays plenty of minutes in comparison to some other lines you could pick a C/A from. Of course, I'm one of those that thinks ice-time is a better reference point than "popularity" for a leader; after all, aren't they supposed to be the only ones who chat with refs?

Doan was nowhere near one of our "best" players for several seasons, but he had the C. Yes, it was long standing, but I can't remember if he was one of our "best" when given the C.

On this team, we have no real "best" players, just sticky ones ;) Also, Cousins has the 4th best shooting percentage on the team. I don't necessarily think Cousins should be an A, but if he continues to perform well and gets plenty of ice-time, it's not unheard of.

Doan was pretty clearly the team's best player after the departure of Teppo Numminen in 2003. He went on to lead the team in points for the next seven seasons.

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Yeah if he can manage 10 more points over his next 16 games he's pretty much right on par with his yearly stats in New York which is what we acquired him for. Also his faceoffs have been much better, and you can't buy his presence/leadership.

Took a while, but this is looking to be the acquisition we thought it would/needed it to be.

Talk to a Rangers fan, and they'll say the same things we are saying. He seems invisible out there, but somehow regularly finishes each season with 50-something points. He's the anti-Duclair: slow and not flashy, but effective.

Reactions: RABBIT and Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Biz was on the radio and made a good point that naming a captain this season was too soon. They needed to let is "cool" after Doaner held it for so long.

One other thing, and Biz didn't mention this, is what if you name OEL captain this year and then he walks? Then you're back to maybe naming another new captain in a year. Better to just wait out this season (as above), and couple OEL's "C" announcement with a contract extension.
If this was a veteran team I would agree, but not with a rebuilding team where most of the kids welcome leadership and mentorship. One of the many mistakes by management this year. My opinion of course. It really doesn't matter at this juncture.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, giving the C to a 19 year old wonder kid hasn't vaulted the Oilers to new heights. I have no problem giving the A and the C to team leaders rather than stat leaders.
Are you saying McDavid is not a leader. He is the only one in Edmonton who comes to play most nights, and even in his off games he is spectacular. I personally would not have given McDavid the C at such a young age, but he has handled the C very well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, the Martinook - Richardson - Cousins line plays plenty of minutes in comparison to some other lines you could pick a C/A from. Of course, I'm one of those that thinks ice-time is a better reference point than "popularity" for a leader; after all, aren't they supposed to be the only ones who chat with refs?

Doan was nowhere near one of our "best" players for several seasons, but he had the C. Yes, it was long standing, but I can't remember if he was one of our "best" when given the C.

On this team, we have no real "best" players, just sticky ones ;) Also, Cousins has the 4th best shooting percentage on the team. I don't necessarily think Cousins should be an A, but if he continues to perform well and gets plenty of ice-time, it's not unheard of.
Your second paragraph is totally wrong.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Talk to a Rangers fan, and they'll say the same things we are saying. He seems invisible out there, but somehow regularly finishes each season with 50-something points. He's the anti-Duclair: slow and not flashy, but effective.
I guess he is proven that, but I hate him on the PP. He stands by the half wall and stick handles waiting for someone the find an opening. He has been playing much better since the new year, like many of the vets.

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
Derek Stepan has had an amazing year for us. He is the leader of this team without a question. Him and Keller have really built something here. If they would of played together all year they both would of had 60-65 points a piece. This will go down as one of Best moves the Coyotes have ever made. Thanks for a great year Step!

Reactions: Grimes

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Step replicated his typical Ranger production on a team that played like a steaming pile of Taco Bell eaten dog shit earlier in the year.

Excited to see what he and Keller does next year

Reactions: RABBIT

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Need a top line winger to compliment Keller and Stepan. No idea who that could be?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
JvR, Simmonds, and Pacioretty are fool's good. So much so that I'm not even worried about Chayka going there. I'm sure he sees it the same way. I suspect we have no interest at all in these players, and for good reason. Having said that, I completely agree that we need another bonafide, high-end first line scorer apart from Keller (who looks like he might be an upper echelon 1st liner at some point soon). I don't think that player is currently anywhere in our system. We need another forward on Keller's level. I don't think it's wise to trade for that player, and it's straight up dumb to sign him as a UFA. I think we have no choice but to draft him. It's important we don't f*** up our next pick.

Reactions: Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Perlini has all the tools to become abother primary scorer, but has sure looked invisible this second half of the season. Seems like the same consistancy issues he faced in juniors are coming back. Im not ready to give up on him yet but if he could be part of a packed to grab a youngish proven goal scorer it would make me think.

Somethibg like Perlini +Dineen for Niederreiter or another similar player on a team that may want to retool.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Svechnikov would solve all of our problems haha. Not even kidding.

Keller-Stepan-Panik
Domi-Dvo-Schev
Perlini-Strome-Fish
C-A-BO
I lile Rinaldo but a depth C would be a nice pick up .

Too bad this wont happen...

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I know what the CABO line is and I know which players comprise the line but what does it mean?

It means what it sounds like, they all went to Cabo on the bye week.
{%22tn%22%3A%22R%22}

Also they actually broke them up last game.

Also they are actually the S T I C K Y B O I S

Reactions: Muppet

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The team has ONE 20 goal scorer. Adding just Svechnikov is not enough to make this team a wildcard team IMO.

Obviously I dont know what Chayka's thoughts are on signing JVR or trading for a Simmonds or Paccioretty. He has stated he expects to make some impact roster moves though. Got to think he wants to add one bonafide scorer.

rt

May 13, 2004
The team has ONE 20 goal scorer. Adding just Svechnikov is not enough to make this team a wildcard team IMO.

Obviously I dont know what Chayka's thoughts are on signing JVR or trading for a Simmonds or Paccioretty. He has stated he expects to make some impact roster moves though. Got to think he wants to add one bonafide scorer.
I think the idea would be to hope that Keller can add to his totals, that Perlini and Fischer can add some much needed consistency and that Svechnikov can have one of those huge rookie breakout seasons like Keller just had.

I can't think of any bonafide scorers I'd want to trade for at this point. Who'd you have in mind?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think the idea would be to hope that Keller can add to his totals, that Perlini and Fischer can add some much needed consistency and that Svechnikov can have one of those huge rookie breakout seasons like Keller just had.

I can't think of any bonafide scorers I'd want to trade for at this point. Who'd you have in mind?

I'm not sure there's much for Keller to add to his totals. When he's been on this season he's been around a point per game, when off around half. If he gets a little consistent he ends up with 70 points instead of the lower 60's? Significant but not huge. He might be a point per guy at some point in his career but I don't think it will be next season.

As for adding to his line, I don't know what it would cost and his contract will probably be stupid and put me off, but I want James Neal. Piss, Vinegar, extra piss, with a lethal shot. Keller stays on the right where I think he's better, Stepan provides the righty on the line, and Keller skates in circles doing his thing. If there's a less expensive James Neal mini-me out there someone let me know.

rt

May 13, 2004
Neal is a draft year older than JVR, Simmonds and Patches but his contract expires one year sooner (this summer rather than next). So he’s another who’s going to be 31+ when his new contract kicks in and it’s likely to be 6+ years for 6+ million - I can imagine paying a 36 year old winger so much money.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->