Player Discussion Derek Stepan (C) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
If this is it, whos tenure in Ottawa was more strange, Stepan or Legwand?

I think Stepan. We had hopes of competing when we picked up Legwand. And his acquisition was pain free. Stepan really never was a fit for this team and we gave up a significatn asset for him. It was a weird trade. His play was weirdly bad. His usage was completely bizarre. And finally his injury was a bit mystifying.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If this is it, whos tenure in Ottawa was more strange, Stepan or Legwand?

What was strange about Legwand?

34 y/o was signed as a UFA at 3.0 AAV for 2 years (2.5 in 1st season, 3.5 in 2nd season)

1st season (2.5 cost) : was a veteran defensive forward for us and scored 27 pts in 80 games with 13:54 TOI/GP

2nd season : we dumped his salary in the Lehner trade

Stepan is not strange either but just backfired right away. We paid a 2nd to get him but at least his cost was just 2.0 after bonus was paid.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

34 y/o was signed at 3.0 AAV for 2 years (2.5 in 1st season, 3.5 in 2nd season)

1st season (2.5 cost) : was a veteran defensive forward for us and scored 27 pts in 80 games with 13:54 TOI/GP

Maybe its just my memory playing tricks on me, he just seemed like an odd fit who left you wanting more.

Reactions: DrEasy

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Stepan last few games was finally playing respectable bottom 6 level hockey, which could have resulted into a flip for some sort of asset back, and he gets injured. Just wonderful.

At least he gets to go spend time with his family. He should retire after this, no way any time signs him after what we saw.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

34 y/o was signed as a UFA at 3.0 AAV for 2 years (2.5 in 1st season, 3.5 in 2nd season)

Stepan is not strange either but just backfired right away. We paid a 2nd to get him but at least his cost was just 2.0 after bonus was paid.

Yeah. I never had a huge issue with Legwand. I mean, he wasn't good or anything but he wasn't terrible. He was just a low risk, low investment UFA who was mediocre.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Maybe its just my memory playing tricks on me, he just seemed like an odd fit who left you wanting more.

Probably has more to do with how the coaching staff (MacLean then Cameron) was using him on the PP. But he did his job that season for a 2.5 salary, he was 8th in scoring among forwards and provided a good veteran presence (we had more young players than the start of this season), was still good defensively (confirmed by advanced stats)

But let's not forget he was on this fabulous 2014-15 team that finished the season really strong and made the playoffs.

We probably hoped for more but at 3.0 AAV, not much to complain about

Yeah. I never had a huge issue with Legwand. I mean, he wasn't good or anything but he wasn't terrible. He was just a low risk, low investment UFA who was mediocre.

Yeah, see above. Difference is we didn't give up a 2nd to get him and he was still better than Stepan this year. However I must say Stepan looked better the last few games before his injury.

Reactions: cudi

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Probably has more to do with how the coaching staff (MacLean then Cameron) was using him on the PP. But he did his job that season for a 2.5 salary, he was 8th in scoring among forwards and provided a good veteran presence (we had more young players than the start of this season), was still good defensively

But let's not forget he was on this fabulous 2014-15 team that finished the season really strong and made the playoffs.

Yeah, see above. Difference is we didn't give up a 2nd to get him and he was still better than Stepan this year. However I must say Stepan looked better the last few games before his injury.

Maybe I was too hard on the Leg man. Sorry, Dave!

Reactions: aragorn

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Probably has more to do with how the coaching staff (MacLean then Cameron) was using him on the PP. But he did his job that season for a 2.5 salary, he was 8th in scoring among forwards and provided a good veteran presence (we had more young players than the start of this season), was still good defensively

Yeah, see above. Difference is we didn't give up a 2nd to get him and he was still better than Stepan this year. However I must Stepan looked better the last few games before his injury.

But Legwand was actually tied for the team lead in PP goals. He was somewhat effective there. He was offensively terrible 5-on-5 if I remember correctly but overall he was just meh. And we didn't even have to give up a second for him!!!

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I still think he should have anticipated what was about to happen. Hockey is about more than just systems and "doing what you are supposed to", you have to be able to think fast and adapt to the play. It was obvious that both Reilly and Zaitsev put themselves out of the play and continued on like it was 5 on 5 or even 5 on 4, rather than drawing back and setting up.

Stepan, with some quick thinking, should have seen number 34 basically all alone and should have made an effort to get in his way at some point, who cares about the puck going back to the point at...that point.
im sorry but Reilly was brain dead on that play. Stepan job is not to do his and Reilly's job. Not trusting your teammates to do the right thing is literally what causes breakdown in plays.

Stepan is the least to blame for that there

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Maybe I was too hard on the Leg man. Sorry, Dave!

You should feel really bad and write a 10 pages excuse letter to his whole family!

But Legwand was actually tied for the team lead in PP goals. He was somewhat effective there. He was offensively terrible 5-on-5 if I remember correctly but overall he was just meh. And we didn't even have to give up a second for him!!!

Man it's starting to be a long time ago lol but if I remember he was used as a shutdown forward, which is what I would expect too

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Just checked and he played mostly with Zack Smith and Chris Neil, but also Chiasson, Puempel, Condra, Greening...

Not exactly the type of players you can put big numbers with! lol

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Sounds like it's over...

There’s a strong chance Derek Stepan has suited up for his last game with the Ottawa Senators.

While the Senators’ are awaiting final word from the club’s medical staff, the 30-year-old Stepan is likely done for the season after suffering a shoulder injury Tuesday night against the Montreal Canadiens.

Given the fact Stepan hasn’t seen his family since he was dealt to the Senators in January it may make sense for him to have surgery in Arizona.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I'm always suspicious when a player who is being unsuccessfully shopped suddenly comes down with a long term injury.

I would have been if we didnt see the pain in his face when we left the ice. Hes not a pro actor lol.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I would have been if we didnt see the pain in his face when we left the ice. Hes not a pro actor lol.
That and the recent surprise PR event publicly "committing" himself to Ottawa seemed to be a telling sign the organization tried to accommodate him and couldn't move him.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Go be with your family, Stepan; take it easy now, bud. If he was traded for a 3rd or less the outlook on him would be much different. Sucks how he'll always be associated here with the price we paid for him. Was one of the worse performances of a Senator relative to the price we acquired him for. What sucks was he was actually looking half decent in last 2-3 games. 2 points in last 2.5 games + 1 9 shots and some key faceoff wins. Unfortunate.

Reactions: Crosside
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad