Player Discussion Derek Stepan (C) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
This injury probably kills the - already admittedly small - chance that we can recoup anything for him at the deadline.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Too bad for Stepan as he seemed to be rounding into decent form. Now, opportunity for Tierney to possibly run with the line, and just in a small sample size - he looked good. He looked faster and more skilled

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Honestly, I hope if it's serious he can just go home and rehab with his family. I don't care how many millions you make, being away from your family is very hard. Being away and not even able to play? Would be enough to make a guy retire.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
If it's long term, send him home for the year. It's too bad but this looks like it didn't work out for the player or the team. I can't see the team signing him again, so better to just heal up and try and get a UFA deal in the summer.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Honestly, I hope if it's serious he can just go home and rehab with his family. I don't care how many millions you make, being away from your family is very hard. Being away and not even able to play? Would be enough to make a guy retire.
He may make that choice if he's out regardless, but to be fair, he always had the option of going home to be with family, it just meant he had to leave his pay cheque at the door.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Weird that there has been no news of his injury. Looked like maybe his thumb?
I thought he grabbed his shoulder and the way he went off looked consistent with a dislocation to me, also Batherson was quote as saying he was in a lot of pain, but for the life of me i can't tell what caused it. If he has damaged the ligaments prior though it can become easier and easier to pop out.

If it were his thumb we probably would have seen the glove come off and him inspect the damage...

Reactions: Golden_Jet

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
If it were his thumb we probably would have seen the glove come off and him inspect the damage...
I thought a stick rode up and hit his hand and jammed it. But maybe it jammed his arm back into the shoulder? Dunno. It did not look like there was even very much force causing the injury. So maybe he re-aggravated an old injury.
Super weird play. Maybe he jammed his wrist?

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011

I've had multiple shoulder dislocation due to torn labrums on both sides. So have familiarized myself with that part of the body before I finally got surgery one my left shoulder about 4 years ago.

A person with an otherwise healthy and non previously injured shoulder would need some pretty big trauma to dislocate their shoulder. But if such a minor event causes it to dislocate, it means that the area was likely already injured or had just been worn down from repeated abuse, likely indicating that he would in fact need surgery.

My guess is Stepan would be stupid to play through this at this stage of his career and on this team. His next contract may very well be the last one he can get off his name alone and he better make sure he's healthy to start it. It's not like he's an important piece to this team, he must know he's being shopped so if he were smart, he'd get surgery, take the time to recovery and come back like the clichéd "stronger than ever" and ready to prove himself on his new team.

I'm sure the Sens will be more than happy to "hopefully" have insurance pay his salary while he's on IR and let his contract run out at the end of the year.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Simmer on 1200 saying he’s heard it’s a dislocation and will be 4-6 months if requiring surgery.
Not confirmed yet but assumed this is the case. Update likely later today.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Simmer on 1200 saying he’s heard it’s a dislocation and will be 4-6 months if requiring surgery.
Not confirmed yet but assumed this is the case. Update likely later today.
This makes the most sense to me, based on what we've seen, really unfortunate for Stepan who has had a lackluster start in acontract year, i thought after the number change he was playing a bit better (still not great)

Silver lining, he's going to be able to rejoin his wife and kids, and maybe we will call up L.Brown to have a look if he's healthy.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This makes the most sense to me, based on what we've seen, really unfortunate for Stepan who has had a lackluster start in acontract year, i thought after the number change he was playing a bit better (still not great)

Silver lining, he's going to be able to rejoin his wife and kids, and maybe we will call up L.Brown to have a look if he's healthy.
Arty Party lives.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Arty Party lives.
Short term he is the logical option, but i would hope the team wants to get Brown some games and this provides the opportunity assuming he is available.

If Brown can step up and seize the opportunity our lineup looks a lot better in the near future, and might have Detroit and Vancouver hearing footsteps...

Tkachuk-Norris-Dzingel (avalable soon)
Stützle-L.Brown-Batherson
Paul-White-Dadonov
Watson-Tierney-C.Brown

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Reilly/Wolanin-Gudbranson

Murray
Daccord/Hogberg

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Dont think Dzingel has ever played rw.

Most logical course of action is Dzingel LW and Paul slides to C. He's ready and he's been taking a lot of faceoffs recently. He was C for us until a couple seasons back.

When L.Brown is healthy, I see him playing games for us too.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Simmer reporting that the injury is significant and could be out for the rest of the season.

A real shame for a soon-to-be UFA and for us where we will not be able to flip him...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dont think Dzingel has ever played rw.

Most logical course of action is Dzingel LW and Paul slides to C. He's ready and he's been taking a lot of faceoffs recently. He was C for us until a couple seasons back.

When L.Brown is healthy, I see him playing games for us too.

I though he was the RW when he played with Hoffman, but maybe it was the other way around.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Simmer reporting that the injury is significant and could be out for the rest of the season.

A real shame for a soon-to-be UFA and for us where we will not be able to flip him...
He might be out of the league after this turn of events. Unfortunate end if that's case.

I wouldn't be too heartbroken from a Senators perspective though, it seems far fetched to expect anything of value for him.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
If this is it, whos tenure in Ottawa was more strange, Stepan or Legwand?

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I've had multiple shoulder dislocation due to torn labrums on both sides. So have familiarized myself with that part of the body before I finally got surgery one my left shoulder about 4 years ago.

A person with an otherwise healthy and non previously injured shoulder would need some pretty big trauma to dislocate their shoulder. But if such a minor event causes it to dislocate, it means that the area was likely already injured or had just been worn down from repeated abuse, likely indicating that he would in fact need surgery.

My guess is Stepan would be stupid to play through this at this stage of his career and on this team. His next contract may very well be the last one he can get off his name alone and he better make sure he's healthy to start it. It's not like he's an important piece to this team, he must know he's being shopped so if he were smart, he'd get surgery, take the time to recovery and come back like the clichéd "stronger than ever" and ready to prove himself on his new team.

I'm sure the Sens will be more than happy to "hopefully" have insurance pay his salary while he's on IR and let his contract run out at the end of the year.

Hello from a fellow-destroyed-shoulder-Sens-fan!

I had an anterior shoulder dislocation a few years ago from crashing head first into the boards. I raised my arm to protect my head and my shoulder popped out and got shoved behind the shoulder joint. That sucked. I'm pretty sure I need surgery. It pops out pretty easily, even after all the rehab, and I can barely throw a ball without tons of pain and what I can only describe as tearing sounds from my shoulder.

For Stepan's sake, if he's going to be out more than a few weeks, I hope he can go home. He can come back in time and quarantine. The rehab exercises can be done anywhere, and I'm sure he could go to a rehab clinic in Arizona.

Reactions: Rand0m
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->