Derek Roy VS Patrice Bergeron

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Patrice Bergeron: 1st line Centre.
Derek Roy: 2nd line Centre.

Bergeron is also 3 years younger and has shown he can be a star in the NHL.

NewHabsEra*

Bergeron will be at best a nice second line center... I like the kid, he does everything well but nothing exceptionnal...

That's a pretty close call, I like Roy alot too.. Both are gonna be very usefull for their team, they play great in every erea of the game... You could compare them to a prospect like Higgins for exemple... Smart, gritty, great work ethic, good skaters and nice package of skills but nothing exceptionnal!

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think Bergeron is the better player, but not by as much as some people may say. I also think Roy will grow to show exceptional leadership skills. With some properly placed prayers, he may just grow period. :joker:

May 10, 2004
I also think this is closer than most people expect. Bergeron may be better on paper, but I would take Roy overall. He plays like he's been in the league for 5 years and he may be the next Gilmour.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
#7 said:
I also think this is closer than most people expect. Bergeron may be better on paper, but I would take Roy overall. He plays like he's been in the league for 5 years and he may be the next Gilmour.

so does Bergeron, and he's younger.

:jump:

leafaholix*

rob_paxon said:
I think Bergeron is the better player, but not by as much as some people may say. I also think Roy will grow to show exceptional leadership skills. With some properly placed prayers, he may just grow period. :joker:
Roy's 2/3 years older then Bergeron.

By the time Bergeron's 20 or 21, he's going to be a star.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Leafaholix said:
Patrice Bergeron is a special player.

No he isn't, but he'll still put up better numbers than Derek Roy.

Patrice Bergeron is really your typical run of the mill second line forward, who may occasionally get first line minutes. He's a good hockey player, but 'special' is really reserved for 40 goal scoreres, 80 point players, etc to me anyhow.

Derek Roy will be an effective third line shut down man who contributes 35 point offensively I think, but in terms of pure points, Bergeron takes this one easy.

leafaholix*

Mountie said:

Patrice Bergeron is really your typical run of the mill second line forward, who may occasionally get first line minutes. He's a good hockey player, but 'special' is really reserved for 40 goal scoreres, 80 point players, etc to me anyhow.

Derek Roy will be an effective third line shut down man who contributes 35 point offensively I think, but in terms of pure points, Bergeron takes this one easy.
He's the youngest player in hockey and put up 40 points in 70 games.

That's better then "run of the mill".

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
Roy's 2/3 years older then Bergeron.

By the time Bergeron's 20 or 21, he's going to be a star.

I don't see Bergeron as a star in 2/3 year. I don't see him becoming a star in his career. I think he will be a good 2nd liner with 50-60 points per season but nothing more. He's good but he don't have anything to become a star in the NHL.

***This is just my opinion...

NewHabsEra*

Leafaholix said:
He's the youngest player in hockey and put up 40 points in 70 games.

That's better then "run of the mill".

He was playing with some nice quality vets and was getting second PP unit time..

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
NewHabsArea said:
He was playing with some nice quality vets and was getting second PP unit time..

What were the Bruins thinking? Why would they do that with a "run of the mill" 18 year old? :dunno:

leafaholix*

Freaky Habs Fan said:
I don't see Bergeron as a star in 2/3 year. I don't see him becoming a star in his career. I think he will be a good 2nd liner with 50-60 points per season but nothing more. He's good but he don't have anything to become a star in the NHL.

***This is just my opinion...
He's already put up 40 points as the youngest player in the NHL... I don't know how he doesn't improve by atleast 30 or 40 points by the time he hits his prime. He has all the tools to become a star.

Two bitter Hab fans.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
I think Bergeron is already a great player. He played well at the World Championships too.

Bergeron is a complete player, he does it all well: reads the play, hits, offense/defense. He might never become a top scorer, but he will always be welcome on my team. :D

Roy is an unidimensional player so far imo.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
He's already put up 40 points as the youngest player in the NHL... I don't know how he doesn't improve by atleast 30 or 40 points by the time he hits his prime. He has all the tools to become a star.

Two bitter Hab fans.

agreed, he definetly impressed me this year, but as far as point production go, I'd rather not make predictions as it can go either way with a guy like him.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Habsaku said:
agreed, he definetly impressed me this year, but as far as point production go, I'd rather not make predictions as it can go either way with a guy like him.

With a guy like him? :dunno:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Mountie said:

ummm...i'll have to wholeheartedly disagree with you on this. you say bergeron isn't special...well my friend, bergeron is actually the epitome of "special". 2nd round pick, small framed shy kid from quebec comes to boston training camp to get a feel for the pro game. from the first day he stepped onto the ice, this kid has oozed special from his body. he was supposed to be too frail to last...what happened? not only did he survive, but he played seek-and-destroy hockey during the playoffs. he makes plays, he plays defense, he hits, he's all about the team. but what do i know? i'm just a bruins fan :dunno:

as for roy, how can he possibly become a shutdown center? the guy is a smurf, and would be eaten alive by guys like olli jokinen, let alone a guy like joe thornton.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Sorry to the Bergeron and Bruins fans, but I simply don't see him being a superstar player in the NHL at any point in his career. He's going to hav ea solid NHL career, that much is pretty evident from what we saw this year, but I can't imagine him ever being more than a second liner.

OF course there is something to be said in his success so young, but in terms of the broader picture of his career, I maintain he is nothing 'special.' Special to me in top 20 in points or goals, a top 10 d-man, top 5 netminder, that sort of range, LOOSELY defined, and I don't think he will at any point hit that.

He's a good player, and he'll provide a good second punch on the Bruins second line playing behind Joe Thornton, but in my opinion, that is his career ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->