Derek Roy & Ryan Malone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
I like Malone becuase he scored 20+ goals and just about everyone of them was a highlight reel goal. Of course this is a homer pick, but i strongly believe if Malone plays like he did for the pens this year, he will be fantastic pickup.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
roast said:
I believe Malone was born in 79, Roy in 83?

Malone is a December birthday, Roy is Mayish I think.

Still, eventhough I am a Pens fan, I think Malone will be more of an impact player. The guy had a great season on such a horrible team. The only real brightspot of the year for the Pens.

Buffalo Stylee

Apr 4, 2004
Buffalo/Niagara
Malone isn't "much better." Malone was a rare talent on a very weak Pens team allowing him to pot 20+ goals. Malone will definitely be a force within the Pens team and he is a great scorer. Roy was brought into Buffalo as a former Memorial Cup MVP and he pushed Curtis Brown right out the door. In playing a little more than half the season Roy put in 9 goals and 19 points playing mostly on the third line. 4 of his 9 goals were Game Winners. Roy is expected to be a player like Doug Gilmour and I completely expect him to hit the 60 point mark at least once in his career. Both are great players. Right now I would take Malone, but in the long run, Roy.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Doug Gilmour-like player is a great comparison I think for Roy...

...who would u compare Malone's style to or what other NHLer does he resemble...

...I know it's all subjective, but appreciate anyone's opinion...

GO FLAMES!!!

Special Ed

Oct 9, 2002
C'ville PA
Visit site
bobbyorr4ever said:
Doug Gilmour-like player is a great comparison I think for Roy...

...who would u compare Malone's style to or what other NHLer does he resemble...

...I know it's all subjective, but appreciate anyone's opinion...

GO FLAMES!!!

to compare to another Pen's player... Kevin Stevens? without the coke problem of course

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Alex Kovalev said:
Malone is a December birthday, Roy is Mayish I think.

Still, eventhough I am a Pens fan, I think Malone will be more of an impact player. The guy had a great season on such a horrible team. The only real brightspot of the year for the Pens.

I wouldn't go near that far...

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Fake Plastic Sabre said:
Malone isn't "much better." Malone was a rare talent on a very weak Pens team allowing him to pot 20+ goals. Malone will definitely be a force within the Pens team and he is a great scorer. Roy was brought into Buffalo as a former Memorial Cup MVP and he pushed Curtis Brown right out the door. In playing a little more than half the season Roy put in 9 goals and 19 points playing mostly on the third line. 4 of his 9 goals were Game Winners. Roy is expected to be a player like Doug Gilmour and I completely expect him to hit the 60 point mark at least once in his career. Both are great players. Right now I would take Malone, but in the long run, Roy.

I would say "In spite of" instead of allowing. He scored these goals having little to no help on most nights. Just because he played on a weak team doesn't mean he scored because noone else could.
He scored because of his talent and skill set "despite" his team.

As for age, as stated Malone IS 3 and a half years older than Roy, but I think he will be the better player, though not by a great amount or anything.

Both seem to have fine futures ahead of them, and they play differing styles. So it really depends on what you are looking for when you decide who you would take.

ajsonor

Jun 11, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
ajsonor said:
Different types of players, different bodies, and different ages. Isn't Malone 3 years older?

My point is that they both played last year as rookies. The difference is that Roy would still be early in his college career if he had walked in Malone's shoes (tell me if I'm wrong, I assume Malone just graduated last year). Malone has maturity as a asset right now, but wait till Roy is 23 is my point, I think Derek will come out on top then...

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
i don't like the stevens comparison. malone is big and drives to the net, but i still don't think he's a powerforward yet. he has powerforward tendencies, but he's not there yet.

i would compare him to a leclair/ryan smyth hybrid...he's still got a ways to go to be compared to those guys, but that's the style i see.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Malone says he models his game after Keith Primeau, and there's some similarities there. Both can pull off moves that make you drop your jaw. Malone is certainly as good as Primeau in working the puck down low. Malone lacks Primeau's mean streak (and leadership, obviously) but has better vision on the ice, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->