Derek Meech, did anyone else notice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
how much he controlled the play, how impressive he was overall? My belief was he was the best Defenseman for Canada overall in the tourney and was key overall. Another Rafalski in my opinion.

I have heard so much from everyone about Phaneuf, but little about Meech.

Let's hear from others re: Meech, what you observed versus your best/worst Canada D performers.

John Agar said:
how much he controlled the play, how impressive he was overall? My belief was he was the best Defenseman for Canada overall in the tourney and was key overall. Another Rafalski in my opinion.

I have heard so much from everyone about Phaneuf, but little about Meech.

Let's hear from others re: Meech, what you observed versus your best/worst Canada D performers.

I noticed that after Phaneuf was removed from the Czech game, Meech looked totally lost when paired with Gorges. I'm not saying that Meech is useless, but Phaneuf was the best out there for the Canadians, even if you were to take out the Olesz hit.

Ticallion961

Mar 27, 2003
Nova Scotia
Kubina_Fan said:
I noticed that after Phaneuf was removed from the Czech game, Meech looked totally lost when paired with Gorges. I'm not saying that Meech is useless, but Phaneuf was the best out there for the Canadians, even if you were to take out the Olesz hit.

Agreed, Phaneuf was hands down Canada's best D-Man, Meech plays a solid offensive game, but he can't pin people in his own end, which maybe why he had problems without Phaneuf, who excels at defensive zone coverage

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'll agree that he was very impressive but IMO Dion Phaneuf and Brent Seabrook were better than he was.

Meech did definitely surprise me. In the exhibition game and first game he really didn't impress me. However as the tournament went along, he kept getting better and better. He's quick and he's very smart with the puck. He's not the biggest, but his positition is very good which allows his size to essentially be a non issue for the time being.

I think he could have an NHL future for sure, maybe as a third pairing, second power play type of guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad