Derek Jeter retiring and wants to buy a pro sports team?

startainfection*

why not the islanders?

about a year ago he was interviewed and said he has a huge interest in owning a sports team after he retires and he said he would run the team the same way the yankees run their team, would you want him to make a serious attempt at buying the islanders?

startainfection*

I think he was referring to owning a baseball team, but hey, if he were interested, why not?

i don't think so, if that were the case he probably would've said a base ball team, I'm not even sure if h could afford one actually

No playoff beards aloud but at least we would make the playoffs ;)

I'm pretty sure if he became familiar with islanders history h would absolutely allow playoff beards

also i started a page on Facebook asking for derek jeter to buy and save the new york islanders, it has gotten a decent amount of attention in just a few days with help from the kevin lowe has to go page posting the link them selves

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
He doesn't have to be able to afford a MLB team to actually be the owner he could be like Magic Johnson and Nolan Ryan and just be the face of an investment group.

Also I wouldn't even give it a .0000000000000000000000000000001% chance of him buying any hockey team let alone the Islanders.

startainfection*

He doesn't have to be able to afford a MLB team to actually be the owner he could be like Magic Johnson and Nolan Ryan and just be the face of an investment group.

Also I wouldn't even give it a .0000000000000000000000000000001% chance of him buying any hockey team let alone the Islanders.

why not though?

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
why not though?

Because it's honestly a ridiculous scenario, I would say the chances are better that I buy the isles before he does.

He's gonna want to get involved with MLB. He's a former baseball player and will want to stick with what he's done his whole life. It's also a long shot he even gets involved in an ownership situation of any kind including MLB.

IslanderPride

Fire & Ice
Jul 5, 2008
NY
Buy the Mets & the Islanders

Oh boooy !! That's all we need is a Yankee captain saving
the Mets Smh . I can just hear the Yankee fans saying they saved us and if it wasn't for them (the Yankees) we wouldn't be winners . But we definitely do need new owners .

startainfection*

Because it's honestly a ridiculous scenario, I would say the chances are better that I buy the isles before he does.

He's gonna want to get involved with MLB. He's a former baseball player and will want to stick with what he's done his whole life. It's also a long shot he even gets involved in an ownership situation of any kind including MLB.

sorry but someone that has brought in well over a quarter of a billion dollars in his career from just baseball alone that has spoke in a manner of wanting to own a professional sports team is way more likely to buy the islanders than a mod on a forum, if he wants to buy a sports team i would have to think that it will have to be a hockey or basket ball team unless he goes for soccer, cause ei just don't see how he would be able to afford a baseball or football team

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
sorry but someone that has brought in well over a quarter of a billion dollars in his career from just baseball alone that has spoke in a manner of wanting to own a professional sports team is way more likely to buy the islanders than a mod on a forum, if he wants to buy a sports team i would have to think that it will have to be a hockey or basket ball team unless he goes for soccer, cause ei just don't see how he would be able to afford a baseball or football team

Because he doesn't have to buy the team outright. He will do like many other former athletes do and join in with a group of investors and become the faces of the ownership group. Exactly like Nolan Ryan would do.

Plus even if he had $300mil that's not all liquid. He's going to need fellow investors regardless of what sport he does get into because you can't just buy a team and have like $100mil left over.. There's a reason these owners are billionaires not just multimillionaires. It's a complete pipe dream and just unrealistic is all I'm saying, if people want to waste time worrying about go ahead but this is just not happening ever sorry lol.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Oh boooy !! That's all we need is a Yankee captain saving
the Mets Smh . I can just hear the Yankee fans saying they saved us and if it wasn't for them (the Yankees) we wouldn't be winners . But we definitely do need new owners .

yeah well if he actually saved us, then i'd just be happy that we're saved. because there is no light at the end of the tunnel with the Wilpons. Honestly, even if our pitching does work out like we all hope it will, what are the odds that they'll resign all of them? We're operating like a mid market team. and if it takes a yankee to save us, then i'm all for it.

IslanderPride

Fire & Ice
Jul 5, 2008
NY
yeah well if he actually saved us, then i'd just be happy that we're saved. because there is no light at the end of the tunnel with the Wilpons. Honestly, even if our pitching does work out like we all hope it will, what are the odds that they'll resign all of them? We're operating like a mid market team. and if it takes a yankee to save us, then i'm all for it.

Yes I agree , it just hurts to think about it

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
why not the islanders?

about a year ago he was interviewed and said he has a huge interest in owning a sports team after he retires and he said he would run the team the same way the yankees run their team, would you want him to make a serious attempt at buying the islanders?

I think Ratner and his partners at Barclays will buy the Islanders from Wang.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad