Player Discussion Derek Grant Appreciation Thread

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm going to disagree with most of you and say that I wouldn't be happy if we traded Grant for a 4th round pick. He is much more valuable to this team than that. He is the perfect 4th liner and can play much higher in the lineup if needed - and produce. He can take the tough match-ups. There have been several nights when he's been our best center. He needs to be resigned, not traded.

I'd like to keep him, but a deal must be done before the trade deadline imo. I agree that a 4th isn't enough though. If BM can't get a better return than that he might as well keep him and hope he re-signs later.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I'm going to disagree with most of you and say that I wouldn't be happy if we traded Grant for a 4th round pick. He is much more valuable to this team than that. He is the perfect 4th liner and can play much higher in the lineup if needed - and produce. He can take the tough match-ups. There have been several nights when he's been our best center. He needs to be resigned, not traded.

If I was Bob, I'd try to start contract talks with Grant already before the TDL. If everything works out, I don't imagine many would be upset about Grantzlaf returning to the lineup, even if it means we have to give up a couple of years of term. If the ask is somehow unreasonable, or if there's absolutely no progress in the contract talks, I'd flip him to the highest bidder.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Sure, if the ask is unreasonable, go ahead and trade him. But I think that
a) he has earned a nice raise and
b) he has more value to this team than even a 3rd rounder imo. Our center depth is already poor as it is as we have been forced to play one of the kids (Steel) on a daily basis. And we're already exposing the kids to enough losses, it would be even worse without Grant.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Sure, if the ask is unreasonable, go ahead and trade him. But I think that
a) he has earned a nice raise and
b) he has more value to this team than even a 3rd rounder imo. Our center depth is already poor as it is as we have been forced to play one of the kids (Steel) on a daily basis. And we're already exposing the kids to enough losses, it would be even worse without Grant.
True. And I think Grant learned an important lesson about asking too much the last time. Personally, I'd rather keep him here and happy rather than trade him for some mid-round pick that we can do without. Asset management is more than just grabbing picks when you can.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anaheim has one of the better 4th lines in the league, and Grant is a big part of that. Rather keep what’s working, instead of trying to get like a 4th round pick which could turn out to be nothing. Grant should still be effective when they are ready to compete again.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Of our forward corps, both at the NHL and AHL level, the Ducks' org has a couple of sure NHL'ers. Grant is one of those sure NHL'ers and possesses great chemistry in Anaheim, for some unknown reason. Grants presence is worth not trading because we know it's a growing pains year where it's mostly pain. We can count on Grant on the PK and on ES. Grant's our second best center. It's because he's our second best center is the most important reason to not trade him, but rather extend his contract a couple more years b/c we have no sure thing on the horizon as I type this up. Terry, Steel, and Comtois all looked great last year, but this year they've all been putrid.

Glue guys are often underrated to the organization's development.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Grant with a goal and a assist against the Panthers results in him setting a new single season career high in points at 26 that is 1 more then he ever had in a season. He has 5 points in his last 3 games.

Reactions: Elvs

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Grant with a goal and a assist against the Panthers results in him setting a new single season career high in points at 26 that is 1 more then he ever had in a season. He has 5 points in his last 3 games.
He's definitely the best option we have with Z and Terry. What a guy, he seems to be more effective when given a chance (du-uh), but he is an interesting case. Happy to have him with the Ducks

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Grant just seems to love to play in Anaheim. There is this group on twitter that are so angry he is on the top line. They want Milano and Zegras. That duo is awful together. Plus, Milano’s offense has dried up, has like 2 points in 20 games and is maybe worse than Z on defense. Grant is a very good stop gap compliment for Z and Terry. That line has really been most of the offense, with Rico on the other line but he has little support.

This is where depth is the issue, after Terry, Zegras, and Rico, the offense significantly drops. Verbeek has so much work to do. Grant is producing around 3rd liner numbers , can win face offs and kill penalties. He is a good guy to have in the bottom 6 and stop gap in the Top 6. But with that said they still need to fill the Top 6 with more proven Top 6 scorers.

c4rcy

Power lvls over 9000
Jun 15, 2009
OC, California
Grant at the beginning of this season seemed like a waste on the roster, and deserved to be healthy scratched on occasion.

Grant in the last 25 games or so - he's been absolutely amazing, and elevated his game on Z's line.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Imagine if Grant was one of the best fighters in the game, he'd be so highly valued because he can play center, win faceoffs, score goals and punch people out.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Imagine if Grant was one of the best fighters in the game, he'd be so highly valued because he can play center, win faceoffs, score goals and punch people out.

That is the problem with Grant - for a guy with his size and in his role, he's incredibly soft. He has the occasional strong game - as he did the other night - but on the whole I think he's overrated on this board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad