Confirmed with Link: Derek Forbort - 3 yrs @ 3 Mil AAA

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I should add that a few years back in LA, the Kings had the number 1 PK in the league, and Forbort was on the top PK unit with Doughty.
I just got off the phone with someone who collaborated everything you said about him as an elite PK and a solid pickup

he also told me Sweeney getting Nosek & Haula for chump change while Kuraly getting 4/10 M was excellent

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Glad Sweeney finally filled the hole on the blue line.

Did he? I see holes emerging again once the season is underway at exactly the two spots he signed players to fill on D. Two sixth defenseman does not a 2nd pairing make...

The juggernaut Mtl offense (that is sarcasm) made Forbort look out of place, hence why Winnipeg let the cheaper free agent Forbort walk and moved assets to acquire better more expensive defenseman Schmidt (5.9 Cap hit) and Dillon (3.9 Cap hit)... Forbort is good in the Connor Clifton role in terms of lineup position and minutes, he is not a top-4 defenseman and neither is Reilly, this is getting a bit stupid.

Reactions: mar2kbos

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Did he? I see holes emerging again once the season is underway at exactly the two spots he signed players to fill on D. Two sixth defenseman does not a 2nd pairing make...

The juggernaut Mtl offense (that is sarcasm) made Forbort look out of place, hence why Winnipeg let the cheaper free agent Forbort walk and moved assets to acquire better more expensive defenseman Schmidt (5.9 Cap hit) and Dillon (3.9 Cap hit)... Forbort is good in the Connor Clifton role in terms of lineup position and minutes, he is not a top-4 defenseman and neither is Reilly, this is getting a bit stupid.
I was being sarcastic, my mistake I should have added the :sarcasm:

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
It's funny because all my Western Conference buddies are laughing at this deal, and all they do is watch this guy.

Let's see how it goes!

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I don't know why you are lumping Forbort in with Carlo from an injury perspective...

With the exception of the 2019-20 season, he's been a very durable player...

Simply saying injuries happen. With everyone. Those are the only two defensive-weight carriers on the team. Mac being an all-around guy who can chip in there.

But really the goal should be to take pressure off Mac so he can flourish. He can’t really get in there on that side of things, he takes so much abuse. They have a bullseye on him. Would like to get him out of as many of those situations as possible.

Reactions: RoccoF14

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I get what you're saying, but Chara wasn't a top 4 dman for his last couple seasons here yet he and McAvoy were still more than good enough. Have a feeling those two can form a pretty solid pairing even if Forbort isn't the ideal guy there. Then you can put gryz there and slide Forbort down the lineup when needed.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I just got off the phone with someone who collaborated everything you said about him as an elite PK and a solid pickup

he also told me Sweeney getting Nosek & Haula for chump change while Kuraly getting 4/10 M was excellent
haha, be honest, it was Sweeney on the phone call, wasn't it?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I get what you're saying, but Chara wasn't a top 4 dman for his last couple seasons here yet he and McAvoy were still more than good enough. Have a feeling those two can form a pretty solid pairing even if Forbort isn't the ideal guy there. Then you can put gryz there and slide Forbort down the lineup when needed.
Chara was physically a #4 but mentally a generational #1. Forbort ain't the same thing.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Chara was physically a #4 but mentally a generational #1. Forbort ain't the same thing.
He was not mentally a #1 for a while. Someone who is "mentally a #1" doesn't turn the puck over like he did. One dimensional defensive D is what he was. At least Forbort has some foot speed.

Jawafa

Jul 30, 2007
Manitoba
Contract aside, here's a Perspective from a Jets fan

You're gaining a steady defensive minded player who is excellent on the PK. Jets had a horrendous PK in 2019/20 and the unit got substantially better last year with Forbert playing a huge part. Last year he spent the whole season with Pionk and completed his game well. Away from a top puckmoving partner he may struggle. That pair line matched most games against Mcdavid, while Pionk did most of the heavy lifting taking away Mcdvaids space, Forbert held his own too despite his slower feet. Plays very simple game and the kind of guy every team needs

He did get way overused. Usage wise he was a top pairing Dman last year. He would do much better playing 15 minutes a game with a solid partner on a 3rd pair.

My biggest issue with him is is puck moving ability. He was forever retrieving the puck and rimming it or firing it off the glass. Quite a few turnovers too on attempted breakout passes as well. This obviously ends up with many pucks ending up back in your own zone and having to defend. This may get alot better on the bruins vs last year with Jets. Jets forwards are notoriously bad in their own zone struggling to get low enough or open for the outlet pass. With Bostons forward group puck moving should get alot easier for Forbert so he may improve there, but dont have high expectations for his passing ability.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Don basically said hes top PK with carlo and will be playing elevated minutes from last year mentioned charlie. I mean, basically i was right. Top pair dman for 3 million. I was right. Mcavoy about to have a career year offensively and ill be the only one crediting forbort for it while everyone else will just say its charlies natural maturation as a player. Nope, it was forbort.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Forbort fought Nick Ritchie once, back in their AHL days. Not much of a fight, but it happened:

yeah you can find his fights on line. He’s not afraid to go, instigate, or stick up for a teammate…but he’s really not good at it.
But you know what? I dont care. He got a pulse and by all accounts a great teammate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad