Derek Brassard

Status
Not open for further replies.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
I want to know the opinion of other posters on Brassard. I really like the guy, and got an offer in my fhl league that is Ryan Parent and Brassard for Schremp. Before accepting or refusing, I'd like a bit more of a scouting report. Thanks.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Pure offensive player at the center ice position, very quick, can score in bunches, good playmaker, decent size, good hockey sense and competes. Tanguay/Gagne type IMO.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
The Habs fans seem to be very high on him. He does seem like a scorer. I dont think he has the gritt and two way ability to play like Gagne, but i do think he'll be a poor man Tanguay.

A guy who will have to work defensively but will be good offensively.

I have James Shepard higher on my list than Brassard.

Laurentides

Jan 22, 2003
Laval
Visit site
MaDdY said:
The Habs fans seem to be very high on him. He does seem like a scorer. I dont think he has the gritt and two way ability to play like Gagne, but i do think he'll be a poor man Tanguay.

Actually, he has grit. He always finishes his checks and is not afraid at all of hitting. He is on the 2nd power kill unit for Drummondville and he is doing quite a job.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I'd probably take Parent straight up for Schremp, but I'm from Guelph and am biased towards Parent.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I personally think that Brassard is a very skilled player and could easily turn into a Gagne type player.

Transported Upstater

MaDdY said:

As do I. Nothing against Brassard, but I am a big Sheppard fan.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Laurentides said:
3 goals for him tonight in a 4-3 win in overtime.......

really... I've seen that Giroux had a good game too.

I'd really like the habs to draft Brassard in the first round and Giroux in the second round.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Blue Jackets management is very high on Brassard. I could see them trading down a couple spots and snapping him up.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
DJAnimosity said:
Blue Jackets management is very high on Brassard. I could see them trading down a couple spots and snapping him up.
Yes Doug's been on record as liking Brassard and Mueller but I don't think it would involve much trading down. Without the lottery he's picking 5th right now and heading for 6th and 7th. He's on record saying he definetly wouldn't take Backstralm(spelling ?) that high so I think that puts Brassard in that range.

I haven't seen too much of Brassard and he might have played poorly when I saw him but I too was more impressed with Sheppard. However some sources I trust say Brassard is looking really good now.Remember though that he is almost a year older than some of the other draftees.

Anyways a big night for him last night with a hattrick in a big win.

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
TransportedUpstater said:
As do I. Nothing against Brassard, but I am a big Sheppard fan.

It's a toss-up, really. I too prefer Sheppard, though that may have more to do with familiarity, as I've only seen Brassard twice (though I have liked what I have seen both times).

If you want top-end offensive talent, it's Brassard by a bit, but if you want the better two-way player, it's Sheppard. Both are excellent choices, though.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I am an absolute HUGE Sheppard fan. In fact, he's possibly one of my favorite prospects ever to come out of the Q. If the Rangers can't trade up to get Staal, I'd want them to trade up to take Shep. The kid is one of the smartest young players out there if not in the world right now.

gabpas

Jan 25, 2003
Aylmer
Visit site
The Habs need wingers who can score which Giroux fits the bill. There is not a whole lot of offensive firepower in the current Habs prospects. He has got incredible offensive potential with plenty of upside and he plays a smart game. He just needs to be surrounded with the right type of players. You describe him as 'soft'. Is that more reflective of his play on the road. I would not describe him as soft based on the games I have seen him play in Gatineau.

I am curious to know what his current ranking is for the draft? Any predicitions as to which round he's drafted.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
gabpas said:
The Habs need wingers who can score which Giroux fits the bill. There is not a whole lot of offensive firepower in the current Habs prospects. He has got incredible offensive potential with plenty of upside and he plays a smart game. He just needs to be surrounded with the right type of players. You describe him as 'soft'. Is that more reflective of his play on the road. I would not describe him as soft based on the games I have seen him play in Gatineau.

I am curious to know what his current ranking is for the draft? Any predicitions as to which round he's drafted.

He isnt as soft as say, Mike Riberio but he is a small winger....very skilled...but i just dont think the habs need players like him.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
insider said:
I want to know the opinion of other posters on Brassard. I really like the guy, and got an offer in my fhl league that is Ryan Parent and Brassard for Schremp. Before accepting or refusing, I'd like a bit more of a scouting report. Thanks.
Take the offer if you haven't already!

Parent is money in the bank as a top-4 NHL defenseman and shut-down guy. In the real NHL, I'd take him alone over Schremp too. (In an FHL based on scoring totals, however, it would be a different story). But Brassard has to be at least equal to Schremp in terms of offensive potential (I like him better, but that's just me), so regardless of how your league scores defensemen, take the Parent+Brassard and run with it!

insider

Nov 14, 2003
didn't take it.

Final deal looked like this

To him
Painchaud
Schremp

to me
Brassard
Hanzal
Parent

Status