Speculation: Depth on D

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Could Michael Stone, Adam McQuaid or Joe Morrow help the club ? All three are still on the market and probably could be had for just above league minimums.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I think our depth is 100% better than it was last season. Really like the combination of size and skill in our 5/6/7.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Harpur is a younger version of McQuaid. They could have signed Morrow, but they traded for a similar right shot D in Schmaltz. I don't think they're needed. Sandin should fill in for Dermott for now and I see that making the team better while they wait for his return, those other players don't move the needle.

The only D I'm interested in on a PTO is Ben Hutton. Comparable talent to Ceci. He might not make it that far though.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Could Michael Stone, Adam McQuaid or Joe Morrow help the club ? All three are still on the market and probably could be had for just above league minimums.
Stone maybe, the other two definitely not.

But our depth is fine unless all off Rielly/Muzzin/Barrie/Dermott are down at the same time. Then it becomes a cluster****

LD depth under contract:
Rielly
Muzzin
Dermott
Sandin
Harpur
Marincin
Kivihalme
Gravel

RD depth under contract:
Barrie
Ceci
Liljegren
Schmaltz
Holl
Lindgren
Hollowell
Duszak

I see 10-11 D-men that can at least fill in on a 3rd pair in a pinch, unless we lose a few on waivers and open a few contract spots I think we stand pat.

mondo13

Sep 9, 2019
toronto
would've preferred someone more experienced to take over the 3rd pairing rhd spot but schmaltz is cool i guess

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I can see a vet like Girardi.....

Some of these guys might be available for a PTO, if they don't get other offers. Get them in camp, see how they do, and make decisions from there. See if you can make moves to open up spots, if desirable, or necessary.

Reactions: kb

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Cici was ruined in that sh!thole of a franchise in Ottawa. Maybe just almost ruined because o remember seeing some good promise from him there not long ago. I think he could be reached or coached back to his better play by sone video and conversation of what he brings best. Give him a look and see. He definitely could find his game after getting this change of locality. ;))

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Cici was ruined in that sh!thole of a franchise in Ottawa. Maybe just almost ruined because o remember seeing some good promise from him there not long ago. I think he could be reached or coached back to his better play by sone video and conversation of what he brings best. Give him a look and see. He definitely could find his game after getting this change of locality. ;))

We are a much more stable environment in fact for him to get a grip in

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I know it's only a 1 year deal for Ceci & Barrie. But I'm really excited to see how both of them adapt their game within Babcock's system.

Not too worried about Barrie, but for Ceci, really, he can only go up from here on out. Rielly will do wonders for him.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
LDRD
Morgan RiellyTyson Barrie
Jake MuzzinCody Ceci
Travis Dermott (LTIR)Justin Holl
Ben HarpurJordan Schmaltz
Martin MarincinTimothy Liljegren
Teemu KivihalmeMac Hollowell
Rasmus SandinJesper Lindgren
Kevin GravelJoseph Duszak
Mikko KokkonenEemeli Rasanen
Filip KralKalle Lopanen
Mike Koster
JD Greenway
Ryan O'Connell
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

here's a lil depth chart for reference

Toronto Maple Leafs

Morgan Rielly - Cody Ceci
Jake Muzzin - Tyson Barrie
Travis Dermott - Jordan Schmaltz
Justin Holl/Ben Harpur

Would not be surprised to see Liljegren/Marincin/Kivihalme make the lineup. I could see us getting rid of one of Holl/Marincin too to give our younger guys a better chance.

Kivihalme, Liljegren, Sandin should get top 4 minutes in the A.
Hollowell, Gravel, Lindgren are those I see as regulars. Loverde and Duszak as extras.

Rasanen seems to be getting minutes as a bottom pair in Jokerit.
Kokkonen should get good top 4 minutes for Jukurit of the Sm Liga.
Kral should get top pair minutes with Ty Smith and Nolan Reid gone.
Koster will be top pair for Tri-City in the Ushl
Greenway transferred universities to Maine. Not sure how their depth chart will turn out. He is a real wildcard for me as he looked really good 2 years ago.
Lopanen should be top pair in Sudbury, we don't have much on the back end. He will be on the right with one of Ross or Stratis.
O'Connell isn't much to be excited about. Not sure how minutes will be distributed in Ohio State.

Reactions: David MORO

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I would at least offer Andrei Markov a PTO. He may or may not be done, but after being cast aside by Marc Bergevin, I would wonder if he would do a "Spezza contract" to try and Ray Bourque a Championship and throw the ultimate middle finger to the Habs G.M. who wouldn't give him the time of day. The top-4 is solid, but the 5-6th is weak enough that I wouldn't hesitate to
at least explore the option.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Too bad he's a defenseman. We have offence. Need defense.
I just think lining up against the best players in your own end playing for Ottawa could bring the strongest defenders to their knees.
Think there's a lot of fans writing Ceci off because of that experience, where he's coming into a completely different situation.

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad